No announcement yet.

Charles Lechmere: Prototypical Life of a Serial Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, the next poster I am going to call upon to debate with me and comment on my observations (while I will of course answer questions in return) is Herlock Sholmes.

Herlock has been very active on this thread, and he has posted very aggressive material, with a less than cordial tone. It is my hope that the debate between the two of us can be conducted with as few aggressive inclusions as possible, and I will certainly do my best to be on point without resorting to any inflammatory wordings.

So here we go!

I am going to begin by pointing out a matter where Sherlock has offered repeated criticism. It revolves around my using 3.45 as an anchor point of my reasoning. Herlock writes in post 776 that ”To claim that Lechmere arrived at 3.45 and that this was what Baxter meant is a blatant manipulation of the evidence. There’s no other way of putting it. Moving the goalposts in an attempt to frame Lechmere.”

In post 795, Herlock writes ”Baxter clearly said before 3.45 because Lech had to have found the body before Neil did at 3.45. Only in this world can sometime before 3.45 only mean 3.45 or a few seconds before and not 3.42 or 3.43 or 3.45. It’s much easier to make a point when you can fix the times to suit the theory.”

I am going to begin answering this by pointing out that there was never any case of me claiming that the body was found by Lechmere exactly at 3.45 or seconds away from it. What I am pointing to is instead that we can identify two five minute time slots, if you will.

The three PCs all said that they were called into action at circa 3.45. That would put Lechmeres discovery of the body around five minutes before, at circa 3.40. This was initially the belief held by the ones examining the case.

Robert Paul said that he walked down Bucks Row at exactly 3.45, and when we see that Dr Llewellyn was contacted by John Thain at around 3.55 or 4.00. This seemingly suggests that Paul was correct.

So we have two suggested time points for Lechmeres discovery, 3.40 and 3.45.

These two time windows were clearly much mulled over by the coroner of the inquest, and it is obvious that coroner Baxter did his utmost to try and make sense of them. Ultimately, he opted for the latter time window being the correct one. He said at the inquest that the time at which the body was found could not have been far off 3.45.

Given that there at the time was great awareness of these two possible time slots, my contention is that Lechmere found Nichols in the latter one. This does not mean that he must have been in place at 3.45 exactly, my interpretation is instead that he will have been there at a time between 3.42.30 and 3.47.30, making up the later five minute time slot. The former slot, the one suggesting that Lechmere was there earlier, as per the three PCs timings, is accordingly one of the five preceding minutes, 3.37.30 and onwards.

Coroner Baxter did not leave any learoom for an interpretation of 3.40 being the correct time. And the matter about Thain fetching Llewellyn is very much in line with what Baxter laid down. I am not saying proposed, because there was as per himself never any possibility of him being wrong: he said that the matter was fixed by many independent data, and so there was enough in it to ensure that the second time window was the correct one.

Next: In Cutting Point, I write that Lechmere said that he left home at 3.30. This has been called a lot of things by some, none of them being kind. I have made it clear that I would have liked to have added the word ”around” but I unfortunately did not do so. It would have saved me a lot of time if I did.

That aside, it nevertheless applies that when somebody says that he left home at around 3.30, he is suggesting 3.30 as the likely time. He does not rule out any of the times close to 3.30, but every minute removed from it must be regarded as less likely than 3.30. The very purpose of suggesting a time the way Lechmere did is to offer a likely starting point, not to inform about how it is actually unlikely in any way.

My reasoning is that if somebody says that he leaves home at around 3.30, then that timing can be used to check roughly how it fits with the known data. In our case, we have Baxter giving us what I would call an approximation for the finding of the body that lies in the 3.42.30 - 3.47.30 scope. If we treat Lechmeres claim the same way, he left in the 3.27.30 - 3.32.30 time window. We then get a result of the time it took for his seven minute trek, ranging from ten minutes as a minimum, and twenty minutes as a maximum. We can therefore see that if we want to find a seven minute trek for Lechmere, we need to tweak a good deal - or a huge deal.

The most interesting matter about all of this, at least to my mind, is how Lechmere testified at a remove in time when it was generally accepted that the finding time of the body was around 3.40. That meant that Lechmeres given timing of having left at around 3.30 should have seen him at the murder site at around 3.37, meaning that his suggestion seemed very reasonable, not least since he said around 3.30, not exactly 3.30. Of course, if Lichee as the killer had followed the proceedings, he would want to present a time that fit with the accepted timings at the inquest. And it originally did.

Once we add in how coroner Baxter later moved the finding of the body out of the 3.40 time slot into the 3.45 ditto, we get another picture. Then Lechmeres timing becomes much less credible, because it suggests that he arrived at the spot around fifteen minutes after he left home. If we detract two and a half minutes from 3.45 and if we add two and a half minutes to 3.30, we still have him using a full ten minutes for a seven minute trek. If we instead add two and a half minutes to 3.45 and detract the same from 3.30, we get a twenty minute trek. None of the suggestions fits with the facts, even if we allow for substantial generosity towards the carman.

We can probably discuss this for an eternity, but it will always be impossible to find any interpretation of the matter that would benefit the defence in a court of law. It is firmly a point for the prosecution, and a jury would be quite aware of the implications. If the tilting point in a trial hinged on the timing matter, that would likely have encouraged a conviction as far as I can see.

Lets now move on to some other points of disagreement between how I look upon things and how Herlock Sholmes sees them. Point number one would be whether or not a serial killer could kill before going to work. Herlock Holmes claims that suggest this is to suggest a huge leap of faith, mainly because we have no other example of it.

It applies that whatever detail we look upon in a serial killer case, it will at some stage have appeared for the first time. Somebody would have been the first serial killer to extract organs, some other serial killer will have introduced taunting the police, and some will have been the first one to go down onto the street to fetch a murder victim back to his apartment from the arms of two police officers. Reasoning that something that has never happened before will never happen in the future either is not scientifically viable unless a physical impossibility can be pointed to. And as it happens, only yesterday I found evidence that Lawrence Bittaker, a serial killer who worked in tandem with another man, Roy Norris, actually killed right before work, risking to be late on account of it. All other differences aside, this is an important find if true. I need to check further on it.

But that is an extended discussion, and I would for now just ask people to keep in mind that Herlock Holmes claims that killing before going to work is a suggestion that is a huge leap of faith.

The same goes for not running from a murder site if you have the opportunity to do so. In fact, Herlock Sholmes is even able to quantify how likely such a thing is - he says that he is ninety nine per cent certain that it cannot happen. He also words himself ”The fact alone that he stood and waited for Paul to arrive makes his innocence close to certain” in post 742. He has on numerous occasions expressed that he cannot understand how anybody could believe in such a suggestion.

Again, what we should keep in mind here is that Herlock says that the suggestion that Lechmere could have chosen to stay put and bluff Paul is an extremely poor one, and with close to absolute certainty a falsehood. In other words, it is as huge a leap of faith as anybody could produce.

The one producing these suggestions is of course myself. And Herlock is not lenient on me when it comes to passing judgment:

”Every single, minute detail is twisted into something incriminating. So much so that many people who have been interested in the case for years find it more than a little embarrassing.” (Post779)

”Fish’s whole case revolves around turning unknowns into ‘knowns.’ (Post 898)

”You simply make things up.” (Post 911)

In short, I twist the facts, I make up ´facts´ and I do everything I possibly can to incriminate Lechmere.

Again, putting it in other words, it is not only the two suggestions of killing before work and not fleeing that are huge leaps of faith - ”Every minute detail” is a leap of faith, a misleading. All I say is an example of a leap of faith, seemingly.

It is a tough thing to get that kind of feedback on something you have put years of research into.

Then again, I sometimes get reactions to my theory that are very much more positive. Take, for example, this glowing review of Cutting Point:

”I’m not ‘convinced’ of Lechmere’s guilt (I’m certainly not convinced of anyone’s guilt) but I am now ‘convinced’ that he has to be taken seriously as a suspect; as the ripper and maybe the Torso Killer. I could be wrong. We can all be wrong. Lechmere might be our man though; who knows? Fish piles on the circumstantial evidence without any leaps of faith. It’s conspiracy and Freemason-free. Sadly most ripper books I buy these days I end up wishing that I’d spent the cash on something else but not in this case. Fish has presented the case for Lechmere and he’s done it well.”

Here, we have a poster who is of the exact opposite meaning as Herlock Sholmes when it comes to the question about whether or not I present a fair case based on the evidence available. We are told that that there is not a single leap of faith in the book. Not one. I have presented the case for Lechmere well, it says.

And that is the way these things often go: Some posters agree with you, some do not. The baffling thing about these two judgments, one of me being a twister and somebody who makes up facts, the other about me not making a single leap of faith and presenting the case well, is that they are both authored by the exact same poster - Herlock Sholmes.

In two years time, he has made a 180 degree turn. And he is perfectly entitled to do so. I would also say that we are free to choose either of the two recommendations he makes when it comes to assessing the Lechmere theory, we can agree with his first take on it or we can agree with his second, and we are equally entitled to our views when we make that choice.

What we cannot say, though, is that any credibility can lie with a poster who does the kind of reversing that Herlock Sholmes has done here. The judgments are not based on different facts, because I have never changed a syllable of what I propose in my theory. The book very clearly suggests all the things that Herlock Sholmes find detestable today, but found quite acceptable and part of a good job with no leaps of faith on Charles Lechmere and his possible culpability two years ago.

Once we compare these two versions, I personally find that Herlock Sholmes has not only burnt his ships - he has torched his whole shipyard, making it impossible for him to launch any take on the Lechmere theory with any realistic hope of being listened to by people who dislike total inconsistency in a poster. And we of course get a poignant answer to Herlocks question about who would be so ill informed as not to be able to see through the Lechmere theory - he himself was not able to do so in 2021, two years ago.

This could have been my final remark, but we are going to go two steps further. The first step we will take involves looking at how Herlock himself treats the facts of the case. We will take a look at post 742, where Herlock writes Add the fact that he’d have been at work when Chapman was killed”.

Herlock Sholmes firmly believes that Annie Chapman was killed late in the morning, at around 5.30. And that is fine. He is not alone in entertaining this belief. But he is also acutely aware that others disagree, and make a case for Chapman dying at a much earlier time. Herlock knows that there are conflicting views of this - but he still chooses to claim that his own take on things is a fact.

That tells us how this poster, who accuses me of twisting everything and inventing things, handles the evidence himself.

Point two is a late one (post 865), where Herlock tells us that the case is a simple one. He did so reacting to my proposition that is a simple case of guilt, and wanted to show how he himself believes it is a simple case of innocence. He starts out by quoting a sentence of mine:

The picture is, I would suggest, a very simple one..”

He then moves onto his own take:

Indeed.

”The killer killed Nichols - the transparently innocent Lechmere found the body - Paul arrived seconds later - Neil arrived a minute or two later - then Mizen arrived.

Simples.”

The context in which this post arrived involved a debate between myself and Steve Blomer. I had pointed out to Steve Blomer that he had used a quotation from some poster, stating that Neil would have arrived at the murder site two minutes only after Lechmere was there, passing that quotation off as being representative of what the Lechmere theory says. The theory suggests a time gap of around six minutes between the cutting of the throat and Neils arrival, which was why I protested against how Steve Blomer did not publish what is said in my book, for example, instead opting for publishing a flawed estimation form some random poster. I know that he has read - and reviewed - my book, so he was quite aware of my take on the matter.

The one thing we agreed on, was that there could be no doubt that many minutes had passed when PC Neil got to the murder scene.

And here we have Herlock Sholmes, who evidently missed out on that point (or chose to ignore it) and suggests that PC Neil could have arrived at the murder scene as little as a mere minute after Paul arrived there. That could have meant that Neil arrived as the carmen examined the body, and would at the very least mean that Neil must have met Lechmere and Paul in Bucks Row.

Again, this level of ignorance with a poster who shifts between commending me for my good work on Lechmere and accusing me of all sorts of shortcomings, does nothing at all for me when it comes to building any trust.

I send off by way of adjoining two of the contradictory judgements of my work, both given by Herlock Sholmes:

”Fish, I take my hat off to you. I’m glad that I bought your book.” ”Desperate stuff. Way past its sell by date.”

Any comments from Herlock are welcomed. The same goes for any questions that I have not already answered above. I will point out that I have tried as best as I could to avoid any inflammatory wordings, and I urge Herlock to answer in the same vein.

Comment

• I may add that Herlock is going to be the last poster I approach for some time; I have upcoming journeys and work to complete. But I will be back before you know it .... Over to Herlock now!

Comment

• I will be responding.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Lechmere was a man who found a body. There is no evidence whatsoever that he was Jack the Ripper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            I have no problems debating this out here or in public.
            If you have no problems debating this, then explain why you have chosen to ignore the majority of posters who disagree with you.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

So, the next poster I am going to call upon to debate with me and comment on my observations (while I will of course answer questions in return) is Herlock Sholmes.

Herlock has been very active on this thread, and he has posted very aggressive material, with a less than cordial tone. It is my hope that the debate between the two of us can be conducted with as few aggressive inclusions as possible, and I will certainly do my best to be on point without resorting to any inflammatory wordings.

So here we go!

I am going to begin by pointing out a matter where Sherlock has offered repeated criticism. It revolves around my using 3.45 as an anchor point of my reasoning. Herlock writes in post 776 that ”To claim that Lechmere arrived at 3.45 and that this was what Baxter meant is a blatant manipulation of the evidence. There’s no other way of putting it. Moving the goalposts in an attempt to frame Lechmere.”

In post 795, Herlock writes ”Baxter clearly said before 3.45 because Lech had to have found the body before Neil did at 3.45. Only in this world can sometime before 3.45 only mean 3.45 or a few seconds before and not 3.42 or 3.43 or 3.45. It’s much easier to make a point when you can fix the times to suit the theory.”

I am going to begin answering this by pointing out that there was never any case of me claiming that the body was found by Lechmere exactly at 3.45 or seconds away from it. What I am pointing to is instead that we can identify two five minute time slots, if you will.

The three PCs all said that they were called into action at circa 3.45. That would put Lechmeres discovery of the body around five minutes before, at circa 3.40. This was initially the belief held by the ones examining the case.

Robert Paul said that he walked down Bucks Row at exactly 3.45, and when we see that Dr Llewellyn was contacted by John Thain at around 3.55 or 4.00. This seemingly suggests that Paul was correct.

These two time windows were clearly much mulled over by the coroner of the inquest, and it is obvious that coroner Baxter did his utmost to try and make sense of them. Ultimately, he opted for the latter time window being the correct one. He said at the inquest that the time at which the body was found could not have been far off 3.45.

Given that there at the time was great awareness of these two possible time slots, my contention is that Lechmere found Nichols in the latter one. This does not mean that he must have been in place at 3.45 exactly, my interpretation is instead that he will have been there at a time between 3.42.30 and 3.47.30, making up the later five minute time slot. The former slot, the one suggesting that Lechmere was there earlier, as per the three PCs timings, is accordingly one of the five preceding minutes, 3.37.30 and onwards.

Coroner Baxter did not leave any learoom for an interpretation of 3.40 being the correct time. And the matter about Thain fetching Llewellyn is very much in line with what Baxter laid down. I am not saying proposed, because there was as per himself never any possibility of him being wrong: he said that the matter was fixed by many independent data, and so there was enough in it to ensure that the second time window was the correct one.

Next: In Cutting Point, I write that Lechmere said that he left home at 3.30. This has been called a lot of things by some, none of them being kind. I have made it clear that I would have liked to have added the word ”around” but I unfortunately did not do so. It would have saved me a lot of time if I did.

That aside, it nevertheless applies that when somebody says that he left home at around 3.30, he is suggesting 3.30 as the likely time. He does not rule out any of the times close to 3.30, but every minute removed from it must be regarded as less likely than 3.30. The very purpose of suggesting a time the way Lechmere did is to offer a likely starting point, not to inform about how it is actually unlikely in any way.

My reasoning is that if somebody says that he leaves home at around 3.30, then that timing can be used to check roughly how it fits with the known data. In our case, we have Baxter giving us what I would call an approximation for the finding of the body that lies in the 3.42.30 - 3.47.30 scope. If we treat Lechmeres claim the same way, he left in the 3.27.30 - 3.32.30 time window. We then get a result of the time it took for his seven minute trek, ranging from ten minutes as a minimum, and twenty minutes as a maximum. We can therefore see that if we want to find a seven minute trek for Lechmere, we need to tweak a good deal - or a huge deal.

The most interesting matter about all of this, at least to my mind, is how Lechmere testified at a remove in time when it was generally accepted that the finding time of the body was around 3.40. That meant that Lechmeres given timing of having left at around 3.30 should have seen him at the murder site at around 3.37, meaning that his suggestion seemed very reasonable, not least since he said around 3.30, not exactly 3.30. Of course, if Lichee as the killer had followed the proceedings, he would want to present a time that fit with the accepted timings at the inquest. And it originally did.

Once we add in how coroner Baxter later moved the finding of the body out of the 3.40 time slot into the 3.45 ditto, we get another picture. Then Lechmeres timing becomes much less credible, because it suggests that he arrived at the spot around fifteen minutes after he left home. If we detract two and a half minutes from 3.45 and if we add two and a half minutes to 3.30, we still have him using a full ten minutes for a seven minute trek. If we instead add two and a half minutes to 3.45 and detract the same from 3.30, we get a twenty minute trek. None of the suggestions fits with the facts, even if we allow for substantial generosity towards the carman.

We can probably discuss this for an eternity, but it will always be impossible to find any interpretation of the matter that would benefit the defence in a court of law. It is firmly a point for the prosecution, and a jury would be quite aware of the implications. If the tilting point in a trial hinged on the timing matter, that would likely have encouraged a conviction as far as I can see.

Lets now move on to some other points of disagreement between how I look upon things and how Herlock Sholmes sees them. Point number one would be whether or not a serial killer could kill before going to work. Herlock Holmes claims that suggest this is to suggest a huge leap of faith, mainly because we have no other example of it.

It applies that whatever detail we look upon in a serial killer case, it will at some stage have appeared for the first time. Somebody would have been the first serial killer to extract organs, some other serial killer will have introduced taunting the police, and some will have been the first one to go down onto the street to fetch a murder victim back to his apartment from the arms of two police officers. Reasoning that something that has never happened before will never happen in the future either is not scientifically viable unless a physical impossibility can be pointed to. And as it happens, only yesterday I found evidence that Lawrence Bittaker, a serial killer who worked in tandem with another man, Roy Norris, actually killed right before work, risking to be late on account of it. All other differences aside, this is an important find if true. I need to check further on it.

But that is an extended discussion, and I would for now just ask people to keep in mind that Herlock Holmes claims that killing before going to work is a suggestion that is a huge leap of faith.

The same goes for not running from a murder site if you have the opportunity to do so. In fact, Herlock Sholmes is even able to quantify how likely such a thing is - he says that he is ninety nine per cent certain that it cannot happen. He also words himself ”The fact alone that he stood and waited for Paul to arrive makes his innocence close to certain” in post 742. He has on numerous occasions expressed that he cannot understand how anybody could believe in such a suggestion.

Again, what we should keep in mind here is that Herlock says that the suggestion that Lechmere could have chosen to stay put and bluff Paul is an extremely poor one, and with close to absolute certainty a falsehood. In other words, it is as huge a leap of faith as anybody could produce.

The one producing these suggestions is of course myself. And Herlock is not lenient on me when it comes to passing judgment:

”Every single, minute detail is twisted into something incriminating. So much so that many people who have been interested in the case for years find it more than a little embarrassing.” (Post779)

In short, I twist the facts, I make up ´facts´ and I do everything I possibly can to incriminate Lechmere.

Again, putting it in other words, it is not only the two suggestions of killing before work and not fleeing that are huge leaps of faith - ”Every minute detail” is a leap of faith, a misleading. All I say is an example of a leap of faith, seemingly.

It is a tough thing to get that kind of feedback on something you have put years of research into.

Then again, I sometimes get reactions to my theory that are very much more positive. Take, for example, this glowing review of Cutting Point:

”I’m not ‘convinced’ of Lechmere’s guilt (I’m certainly not convinced of anyone’s guilt) but I am now ‘convinced’ that he has to be taken seriously as a suspect; as the ripper and maybe the Torso Killer. I could be wrong. We can all be wrong. Lechmere might be our man though; who knows? Fish piles on the circumstantial evidence without any leaps of faith. It’s conspiracy and Freemason-free. Sadly most ripper books I buy these days I end up wishing that I’d spent the cash on something else but not in this case. Fish has presented the case for Lechmere and he’s done it well.”

Here, we have a poster who is of the exact opposite meaning as Herlock Sholmes when it comes to the question about whether or not I present a fair case based on the evidence available. We are told that that there is not a single leap of faith in the book. Not one. I have presented the case for Lechmere well, it says.

And that is the way these things often go: Some posters agree with you, some do not. The baffling thing about these two judgments, one of me being a twister and somebody who makes up facts, the other about me not making a single leap of faith and presenting the case well, is that they are both authored by the exact same poster - Herlock Sholmes.

In two years time, he has made a 180 degree turn. And he is perfectly entitled to do so. I would also say that we are free to choose either of the two recommendations he makes when it comes to assessing the Lechmere theory, we can agree with his first take on it or we can agree with his second, and we are equally entitled to our views when we make that choice.

What we cannot say, though, is that any credibility can lie with a poster who does the kind of reversing that Herlock Sholmes has done here. The judgments are not based on different facts, because I have never changed a syllable of what I propose in my theory. The book very clearly suggests all the things that Herlock Sholmes find detestable today, but found quite acceptable and part of a good job with no leaps of faith on Charles Lechmere and his possible culpability two years ago.

Once we compare these two versions, I personally find that Herlock Sholmes has not only burnt his ships - he has torched his whole shipyard, making it impossible for him to launch any take on the Lechmere theory with any realistic hope of being listened to by people who dislike total inconsistency in a poster. And we of course get a poignant answer to Herlocks question about who would be so ill informed as not to be able to see through the Lechmere theory - he himself was not able to do so in 2021, two years ago.

This could have been my final remark, but we are going to go two steps further. The first step we will take involves looking at how Herlock himself treats the facts of the case. We will take a look at post 742, where Herlock writes Add the fact that he’d have been at work when Chapman was killed”.

Herlock Sholmes firmly believes that Annie Chapman was killed late in the morning, at around 5.30. And that is fine. He is not alone in entertaining this belief. But he is also acutely aware that others disagree, and make a case for Chapman dying at a much earlier time. Herlock knows that there are conflicting views of this - but he still chooses to claim that his own take on things is a fact.

That tells us how this poster, who accuses me of twisting everything and inventing things, handles the evidence himself.

Point two is a late one (post 865), where Herlock tells us that the case is a simple one. He did so reacting to my proposition that is a simple case of guilt, and wanted to show how he himself believes it is a simple case of innocence. He starts out by quoting a sentence of mine:

Indeed.

”The killer killed Nichols - the transparently innocent Lechmere found the body - Paul arrived seconds later - Neil arrived a minute or two later - then Mizen arrived.

Simples.”

The context in which this post arrived involved a debate between myself and Steve Blomer. I had pointed out to Steve Blomer that he had used a quotation from some poster, stating that Neil would have arrived at the murder site two minutes only after Lechmere was there, passing that quotation off as being representative of what the Lechmere theory says. The theory suggests a time gap of around six minutes between the cutting of the throat and Neils arrival, which was why I protested against how Steve Blomer did not publish what is said in my book, for example, instead opting for publishing a flawed estimation form some random poster. I know that he has read - and reviewed - my book, so he was quite aware of my take on the matter.

The one thing we agreed on, was that there could be no doubt that many minutes had passed when PC Neil got to the murder scene.

And here we have Herlock Sholmes, who evidently missed out on that point (or chose to ignore it) and suggests that PC Neil could have arrived at the murder scene as little as a mere minute after Paul arrived there. That could have meant that Neil arrived as the carmen examined the body, and would at the very least mean that Neil must have met Lechmere and Paul in Bucks Row.

Again, this level of ignorance with a poster who shifts between commending me for my good work on Lechmere and accusing me of all sorts of shortcomings, does nothing at all for me when it comes to building any trust.

I send off by way of adjoining two of the contradictory judgements of my work, both given by Herlock Sholmes:

”Fish, I take my hat off to you. I’m glad that I bought your book.” ”Desperate stuff. Way past its sell by date.”

Any comments from Herlock are welcomed. The same goes for any questions that I have not already answered above. I will point out that I have tried as best as I could to avoid any inflammatory wordings, and I urge Herlock to answer in the same vein.
              The exact time is maddening Christer (minutes count), and it would be very odd if Paul's time was the most accurate - all the other's being off by roughly five minutes.

Here is the coroner's concluding statement (again) at the end of the inquest:

"The time at which the body was found cannot have been far from 3.45 a.m., as it is fixed by so many independent data. The condition of the body appeared to prove conclusively that the deceased was killed on the exact spot in which she was found."

O'Neil, Thain & Mizen testify that 3:45 am was the time they had when O'Neil discovered the body: Mizen talking to Lech/Paul at that time.

Who were the 'independent' sources, who was the discoverer, or what was the act of discovery (informing a PC for example); & how much time is far off?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                Lechmere was a man who found a body. There is no evidence whatsoever that he was Jack the Ripper.
                Well, that settles that!

So, you changed your stance from messages 881, 765, 598, 347, 219, 118?

Comment

So, the next poster I am going to call upon to debate with me and comment on my observations (while I will of course answer questions in return) is Herlock Sholmes.

You use the word ‘aggressive’ to describe my posting but there are other, less obvious perhaps, forms of aggression. Your method is condescension. You speak to posters that disagree with you as if you are the professor and they are particularly slow students that just don’t get it it. Then, when you’re opposed you go into ‘victim mode.’ You are responsible for as much of the ill-feeling on this subject as anyone else Fish. In fact I’d say that you are responsible for most of it and that much patience has been shown in the face of the almost religious campaign to convict Cross.

So here we go!

No it doesn’t. Why is there an issue in a ten minute gap between Neil calling Thain and Llewelyn arriving? He goes to Lewellyn’s house - how long before a servant answers the door? The servant wakes Lewellyn - does he give the message or does Lewellyn come downstairs and speak to Thain? If the latter then he had to go back upstairs and get dressed, maybe a quick wash, get his bag go back downstairs put on his coat then walk to Bucks Row. We can’t know how long this took so we can’t assume a time period. Ten minutes or so just isn’t an issue. Why do you continually make convenient assumptions?

On the ‘exactly 3.45’ from Paul. How can anyone consider this reliable? He had no way of confirming the exact time and he never explains how he could have known the exact time. David Orsam has given the most plausible explanation for this in that Paul was angrily responding to a newspaper claim that Neil had found the body at 3.45.

And 3.40 is ‘not far off’ 3.45. It really is as simple as this. Baxter was working from one very obvious point - that the body was discovered before Neil, Thain and Mizen got involved. And the time that they gave was 3.45.

But you have no basis for these claims. You have 3 Constable’s all on regulated beats and one guy whose time is at odds with them and who had no way of being so precise…. and you conveniently alight on that guy.

Disingenuous as ever. Baxter absolutely did leave learoom. When he said ‘fixed by many independent data’ he clearly wasn’t saying that the time was fixed exactly. He was saying that it was fixed by the Constable’s that the bodies must have been discovered before 3.45 and that’s all. How clear does it need to be before this sinks in?

And I simply cannot believe it wasn’t intentional. The exact same thing was done in the documentary. Clearly by design.

And you still try to justify this utter nonsense. No…you are not justified in using 3.30 when we are dealing with tight timings. Not for a second. 3.33 is no less likely that 3.30. Anymore than 3.27 is any less likely than 3.30. This is exactly what I mean by using unknowns. Any reasonable range has to be considered.

And no, you weren’t suggesting a starting point. You were suggesting that there definitely was a gap.

So you begin with an invalid time for Baxter which you have invented with absolutely no basis in fact. Then, for some strange reason you start adding seconds to the approximate times that Cross might have left the house. I’d say that the options are 3.25-3.35, as simple as that. No tweaking is required.

So because his time equated with the facts he was lying to make it fit. That’s pretty much par-for-the-course thinking by those that zealously promote the Cross agenda.

But we know that Baxter didn’t move the discovery time to 3.45. That’s an invention on your part. Yet again narrowing down an unknown to an almost known. Baxter’s time absolutely would include 3.40/ 3.41/ 3.42.

So Cross leaves at around 3.33 and finds the body at 3.40/ 3.41 or he leaves at 3.34. Or he leaves at 3.34 and finds the body at 3.41/ 3.42. Or he left at 3.32 and found the body at 3.40 or even 3.39.

You simply cannot incriminate Cross on timings. It can’t be done.

Absolute nonsense. No lawyer outside of a padded cell would convict Cross on the basis of your manipulations. There isn’t a smidgeon of evidence against Cross. As suspects go, Cross is about as weak as it gets without going in to Royal Theory territory.

I read your point about Bittaker who apparently took his victim two days before being due at work. It appears that only because his sick actions went on so long that it threatened to make him late for work. So it’s not an example as far as I can see.

And as I’ve already posted, when I had previously mentioned things happening for the first time in response to one of your ‘serial killer history’ points, you told me how ludicrous these points were. No you are using the exact same argument.

It is.

I won’t waste time digging up some quotes of the stuff that you have said Fish. But I could.

From the person who said that we should avoid getting personal. But fine, I have no problems answering this one. That comment was written at a time of an attempt at conciliation. I still say that’s it’s a well written book and that no could have made a better case for such a weak suspect. I made the mistake though of not making notes whilst I was reading it which is what I normally do. But I re-read it later and I also read Steve’s book and looked into events again for a clearer overall picture. It was around then I realised the level of exaggeration by yourself and Herr Von Stow.

In all Fish, a thoroughly contemptible effort at distraction from you. Again, par-for-the-course.

From a man who disputes the world’s forensic experts who tell us, to a man, that the methods that Phillips used were unreliable. The case for a later ToD isn’t close as you claim. It’s utterly one-sided in favour of a later ToD. The only reason that you favour an earlier ToD (and in the process support and unreliable estimate over three witnesses) is because you really do need a later ToD to keep Cross in the game. I go with the medical and witness evidence…. you go with wish-thinking and agenda.

Indeed.

Simples.”

I was making a general comment not one about the substance of the particular discussion between yourself and Steve. Again, you cannot know that gap of time between the cutting of Nichols throat and Neil’s arrival. Six minutes is more wish-thinking on your part.

No inflammatory wording?! Like calling me ‘ignorant’ perhaps (not for the first time by the way) After that bit about my original comment on your book. Get real Fish. You continue to plough the same depths. Steve, myself and others have tried god-knows how many times to have a civil debate with you but it always goes the same way. Whenever we get to points of disagreement that we can’t get over you move into condescending mode with the odd snide dig thrown in. Then when a response is given you get on your high horse. I know that Steve will back me up on this because it’s just a fact. And now you come back on here and try and set the agenda by playing the wounded soldier who always acts with honour with everyone else as the villains of the piece when you’ve spend years talking down to everyone that questions you or disagrees with you. Then there’s the way that you and Stow have slated Steve’s transparently honest research.

And talking of facts….

You have edited evidence.

You have manipulated evidence.

You have twisted the English language to suit your needs.

You have exaggerated and claimed unknowns as either knowns or likely’s.

Basically you’ve committed some of the most egregious shoehorning that I’ve ever known in this case Fish. Instead of simply showing an interest in a subject you and Stow have created some kind of strange bandwagon. It’s like a cottage industry or even a religious movement…book, documentary, tv channel (I’m waiting for the Lechmere T-Shirts to go on sale or the boxes of Lechmere Shortbread)

Weak arguments.

Weak suspect.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie View Post

Well, that settles that!

So, you changed your stance from messages 881, 765, 598, 347, 219, 118?
                    No and it's still true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Seriously?

They kept the girls for two days and then decided to kill them because it was getting close to the time that he was due for work.

This is nothing like an example of a man who goes out and actually meets and kills a woman just before being due at work. It’s an example of a 2 day sick game that went on too long.
                      But there are more than a few examples of serial killers killing on the job.

They kill when they have the opportunity.
                      Besides, the Polly Nichols murder may well have been the only one on the way to work, if Lech was the killer.

And then, of course, most people have stopped walking to work since the advent of mass transit - around 100 years ago:
                      the short walk from the mass transit stop to work excluded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                        To say I have not given sources is inaccurate.
                        Fishy was never one to let facts get in the way of a good frame-up.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbie View Post

But there are more than a few examples of serial killers killing on the job.

Are there?

They kill when they have the opportunity.

There are no hard and fast rules but I’d say the in general the go out specifically to kill.

Besides, the Polly Nichols murder may well have been the only one on the way to work, if Lech was the killer.

And then, of course, most people have stopped walking to work since the advent of mass transit - around 100 years ago:
                          the short walk from the mass transit stop to work excluded.
                          Newbie nothing changes the sheer unlikeliness of a man stopping off 15 or 20 minutes before being due at to murder and mutilate a woman that he met by chance in the street. Then we add the fact that, despite having ample time to flee to safety, he takes the almost suicidal risk of standing and waiting for a complete stranger to arrive. These two points alone, in any case but this one, would push Cross to the outer reaches and yet such strenuous efforts are employed to try and negate them.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• so i was driving to work yesterday morning and noticed a body on the side of the road, in the grass between the sidewalk and a fence. i pulled over, put my hazards on and got out and checked on it. at tje same time a guy walking his dog came up. it was the body of a middle aged man, and at first we couldnt tell if he was even alive, but shortly determined he was. i called 9-11 and we both waited until the police and paramedics arrived which was about ten minutes. the guy was alive but we couldnt tell what was wrong with him, he was not responding or moving. once the police and ambulance showed up they thanked us and actually asked us to move on, which we did.
                            both our actions were what any normal citizen would do.

so next time i see someone say that lech behaved normally, was a good citizen and or to stop picking on poor ole lech think ill efffing puke.

oh still waiting for all the threads on those better than lechmere suspects? lol!!!

thats all carry on.

Comment

I note that you are again ignoring the people who have done time studies on the events - Elamarna and Jeff.

That said, Dr Llwellyn's timing, as presented in the newspaper accounts, does seem to fit better with Robert Paul''s timing than the timings given by PC Neil, PC Thain, and PC Mizen.

It is interesting, though, that you support Paul over Mizen on the timing, when Paul is in the minority; yet you ignore Paul over Mizen, when Mizen is in the minority against Lechmere and Paul on what they told him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                so i was driving to work yesterday morning and noticed a body on the side of the road, in the grass between the sidewalk and a fence. i pulled over, put my hazards on and got out and checked on it. at tje same time a guy walking his dog came up. it was the body of a middle aged man, and at first we couldnt tell if he was even alive, but shortly determined he was. i called 9-11 and we both waited until the police and paramedics arrived which was about ten minutes. the guy was alive but we couldnt tell what was wrong with him, he was not responding or moving. once the police and ambulance showed up they thanked us and actually asked us to move on, which we did.
                                both our actions were what any normal citizen would do.

so next time i see someone say that lech behaved normally, was a good citizen and or to stop picking on poor ole lech think ill efffing puke.

oh still waiting for all the threads on those better than lechmere suspects? lol!!!

thats all carry on.
                                Hi Abby,

That was an excellent way to handle the situation in 2023, but as you know, people in 1888 didn't have cell phones, so that required Lech and Paul to handle the situation differently from how you did. I really can't think of any way that people living in 1888 could have handled the situation any better than Lech and Paul did. And if they had handled it poorly, why blame Lech but not Paul?

Comment

Working...
                                X