Charles Lechmere: Prototypical Life of a Serial Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

And the Pinchin Street Torso was deposited over an hour after Lechmere started work.
    I'm not sure we know when exactly the Pinchin Street Torso was deposited but it's highly likely it wasn't by Lechmere.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

I'm not sure we know when exactly the Pinchin Street Torso was deposited but it's highly likely it wasn't by Lechmere.

The question is how someone working 14-18 hours per day and having between five and nine hours per day to sleep as well as spend time with his wife and nine children could also find time to wander the streets looking for women to murder.

(my # 148 in this thread)

The following information was provided by Fiver in # 1 Working conditions for Pickfords carmen

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICKFORDS  WORKING HOURS.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	811007

Another question is how someone working 14-18 hours per day and having between five and nine hours per day to sleep as well as spend time with his wife and nine children could also find the time and premises to dismember human bodies and the means to transport the torsos to dump them where they were found.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

The question is how someone working 14-18 hours per day and having between five and nine hours per day to sleep as well as spend time with his wife and nine children could also find time to wander the streets looking for women to murder.

(my # 148 in this thread)

The following information was provided by Fiver in # 1 Working conditions for Pickfords carmen

Name:	PICKFORDS  WORKING HOURS.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	811007

Another question is how someone working 14-18 hours per day and having between five and nine hours per day to sleep as well as spend time with his wife and nine children could also find the time and premises to dismember human bodies and the means to transport the torsos to dump them where they were found.
        I agree with all that Private Investigator.

Comment

• Agreed
          'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Christer Holmgren's responses are: Kelly's heart was not missing; someone once estimated that the mutilations could have taken just half an hour to perform;
            Not that I believe Lechmere was Jack the Ripper, but I’m with Christer on this one in that I don’t believe all that was done to Mary Jane Kelly would necessarily have taken much more than half an hour. Or, in other words, I think that the initial attack and then all the cutting and tearing away of organs and flesh would, purely technically, maybe not even have taken half an hour. Of course, he may very well have taken it quite slow, taking breaks in between the cutting & tearing, that way enjoying to the fullest what he was doing, but even then I don’t think it HAS to have taken him more than 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Holmgren surmises that Lechmere would have gone down Hanbury Street on his way to work, but why then would he have gone down Dorset Street?
            I think I may have given him that idea when, some years ago, I posted the length of different routes he might have taken to work (see below). Christer’s original contention was, if I remember it correctly, that the route via Old Montague Street was the shortest route. And then I showed him that a route through Dorset Street was about equally short. This was all under the assumption that the entrance in Eldon Street was the only entrance.

Since then I’ve discovered that there seem to have been other entrances indicated on maps of those days on Worship Street and the intersection of Finsbury Avenue, Appold Street and Sun Street. I’m not sure if they were, but if any of these were entrances for employees like Lechmere, then a route via Hanbury Street and then either White Lion Street or Spital Square were the shortest and even shorter than any route to the entrances on Eldon Street - but that would be something for another thread.

Name:	ordinance map 1894 including HS & OMS routes I.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	811033
            "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
            Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Please see my reply below.

Originally posted by FrankO View Post

I don’t think it HAS to have taken him more than 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Whether it's Christer's estimate of half an hour or your estimate of three quarters of an hour to an hour, Lechmere would have arrived at work late and aroused suspicion.

When I put this point to Christer, he suggested first that Lechmere left home early and then that he had the day off.

I have two questions: why does Lechmere have to leave home for work early in order to murder Mary Kelly but not need to leave early in order to murder Mary Nichols?

Why does Lechmere need a holiday to murder Kelly when he is supposed to be meeting her on his route to work?

Comment

Please see my reply below.
                Whether it's Christer's estimate of half an hour or your estimate of three quarters of an hour to an hour, Lechmere would have arrived at work late and aroused suspicion.

When I put this point to Christer, he suggested first that Lechmere left home early and then that he had the day off.

I have two questions: why does Lechmere have to leave home for work early in order to murder Mary Kelly but not need to leave early in order to murder Mary Nichols?

Why does Lechmere need a holiday to murder Kelly when he is supposed to be meeting her on his route to work?

Valid as they may be, these questions are no more than water off a duck's back for the Lerchmerians.

I agree with Frank about the time spent in Kelly's room. I doubt it was anywhere near as long as is supposed, especially when you think what was done in mere minutes to Eddowes. Also, unless he knew Kelly's routine inside out, who called when etc, there would have been a fear of being cornered.

Comment

Please see my reply below.

Just as Aethelwulf suggested, Christer - just like the rest of us - has no information on Lechmere's actual movements on any night (other than the known given timings) that he can paint pretty much anything he wants on his almost blanco canvas.
                  "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
                    I doubt it was anywhere near as long as is supposed, especially when you think what was done in mere minutes to Eddowes. Also, unless he knew Kelly's routine inside out, who called when etc, there would have been a fear of being cornered.
                    Both good points, Wulf. I was also thinking about the one regarding Eddowes while writing my post #290 but then, in the end, forgot to incorporate it.

Cheers,
                    Frank

Comment

• Does anyone know why a handful of people insist on trying to make a family seem like he was Jack the Ripper? When there is no evidence whatsoever that he was Jack.

Comment

Does anyone know why a handful of people insist on trying to make a family seem like he was Jack the Ripper? When there is no evidence whatsoever that he was Jack.

You mean 'family man'?

I agree it is ridiculous.

The murderer had to lead a more solitary existence and have more free time than Lechmere had.

Comment

Does anyone know why a handful of people insist on trying to make a family seem like he was Jack the Ripper? When there is no evidence whatsoever that he was Jack.
                          Do you mean "family member"? As in Susan Clapp, the associate of Ed Stow?

Fictional serial killers are bold, clever, witty, powerful, dangerous, and in control - all the things fascists like to pretend they are. A connection probably makes them vicariously feel like that.

My family's only tie to a serial killer is that an ancestor ate at the Bender's inn while traveling, but didn't look prosperous enough to be worth killing.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

My family's only tie to a serial killer is that an ancestor ate at the Bender's inn while traveling, but didn't look prosperous enough to be worth killing.

Poverty: membership has its privileges.

Comment

You mean 'family man'?

I agree it is ridiculous.

The murderer had to lead a more solitary existence and have more free time than Lechmere had.
                              Yes I did mean 'family man'.

Comment

Fictional serial killers are bold, clever, witty, powerful, dangerous, and in control...

Sorry to digress, but it does not exactly sound like Aaron Kosminski - does it?

Comment

Working...
                                X