Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Lechmere have his own thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't Lechmere have his own thread?

Given the sheer amount of discussion about the man spread over dozens of threads, why doesn't Lechmere have his own thread.

I'm not particularly a supporter of his candidacy, but looking at the suspect list already existing he deserves to be there more than some on the list.

It would definitely tidy up the myriad of conversations about the man.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

He may not have his own thread, but he's hijacked quite a few of other people's.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      He may not have his own thread, but he's hijacked quite a few of other people's.
      Yes, and it is therefore hard to see just how much interest the carman has accumulated. A quick browsing in the general suspect division after the year 2010 turns up 23 Lechmere threads with a collected amount of 8546 posts.

The total amount of posts under "general suspects" is, as I write, 26688, so a third of those posts, roughly are on Lechmere.

Add to this a few thousand posts on Lechmere in the Victims: Polly Nichols department and a couple of hundred posts under the Witnesses heading, and we have more than ten thousand posts on Charles Lechmere. And that is before adding all the hijacked threads, even. Plus I only included threads where the heading discloses that Lechmere is the focus of interest.

Giants like Alfred Blanchard (10 posts in total), Lewis Carroll (111 posts), Hyam Hyams (73 posts) and Alois Szemeredy (7 posts) have suitingly been prioritized over Lechmere, when it comes to providing them with threads of their own.

Toppyng (I may have spelt that wrong) the list is George Hutchinson with 15068 posts. But that includes all the posts made on him BEFORE 2010 too, so I think it is reasonable to say that Charles Lechmere is probably the most discussed Ripper suspect since 2010.

This should probably answer Dr Strangeīs question: the reason that Charles Lechmere has no thread of his own will probably lie in the scant interest offered by those who post out here.

Comment

Toppyng (I may have spelt that wrong) the list is George Hutchinson with 15068 posts. But that includes all the posts made on him BEFORE 2010 too, so I think it is reasonable to say that Charles Lechmere is probably the most discussed Ripper suspect since 2010.
        Nah mate.

I'm afraid that even if we exclude all contributions prior to 2010, Hutchinson "beats" Crossmere by some 3000 posts, thanks in no small part to you!

I suspect that you're losing out to Kosminski too; the shawl business giving rise to some monster threads.

So Crossmere ranks, not-unimpressively, as the third most discussed suspect since 2010.

All the best,
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
          Nah mate.

I'm afraid that even if we exclude all contributions prior to 2010, Hutchinson "beats" Crossmere by some 3000 posts, thanks in no small part to you!

I suspect that you're losing out to Kosminski too; the shawl business giving rise to some monster threads.

So Crossmere ranks, not-unimpressively, as the third most discussed suspect since 2010.

All the best,
          Ben
          and considering the recent article in Ripperologist on Hutch I think hes about to heat up again big time!!

Comment

Nah mate.

All the best,
            Ben
            Then it seems even William Shakespeare foresaw the coming of Hutchinson - much ado about nothing.
            Last edited by Fisherman; 09-28-2015, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              and considering the recent article in Ripperologist on Hutch I think hes about to heat up again big time!!
              I think you will find out that the new Hutchinson ends up under a bucketfull of ice-cold water, Iīm afraid, Abby. But letīs see!
              Last edited by Fisherman; 09-28-2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                Given the sheer amount of discussion about the man spread over dozens of threads, why doesn't Lechmere have his own thread.

I'm not particularly a supporter of his candidacy, but looking at the suspect list already existing he deserves to be there more than some on the list.

It would definitely tidy up the myriad of conversations about the man.
                I've been wondering the same. What's the benchmark for a suspect getting their own thread? I gave a look to see if it was posted in the FAQ but didn't see anything about it (that could be on me though, was late & only a quick look). Even if Lechmere doesn't qualify, I'd be interested in the qualifications for a suspect getting a thread anyway.
                I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Just for good measure, hereīs what Jon Menges has to say of the new hot suggestion for George Hutchinson over on JTR:

"I agree with everything that's been said on here and my first reaction after reading it is this GH is a very bad shot in the dark. I don't bother anymore to even wonder why certain Casebook posters say the things they do."

Thereīs a little more of the icy cold water I foreshadowed...

Comment

Fisherman,

If you're so fixated on what other people are saying on a different website, go over there and talk the matter over with them. I know you're keen to find some sort of distraction from the enormous amount of opprobrium you're receiving over your Crossmere theory, but this isn't the way to go about it. I would be interested to read the feedback on the Hutchinson article, both positive and negative, from contributors to this forum. I hope it'll be a bit more persuasive that some of the non-criticisms I've read elsewhere.

Back to Fetchbeer...

Comment

Fisherman,

If you're so fixated on what other people are saying on a different website, go over there and talk the matter over with them. I know you're keen to find some sort of distraction from the enormous amount of opprobrium you're receiving over your Crossmere theory, but this isn't the way to go about it. I would be interested to read the feedback on the Hutchinson article, both positive and negative, from contributors to this forum. I hope it'll be a bit more persuasive that some of the non-criticisms I've read elsewhere.

Back to Fetchbeer...
                      No offense whatsoever, Ben, but if I am to take advice from somebody - anybody - on the boards about how and what to post, I cannot for the life of me see who would rank below you.

Itīs not that I canīt see why you would rather not have it known that a number of renowned researchers think that the new Hutchinson is a complete non-starter as it stands. Believe me, I absolutely can, Ben.

Trust me, I am only trying to save you a major future disappointment.

But letīs not quibble about this, you and me - letīs give it time and we will see if Flash George manages to eke out an existence as a credible Jack the Ripper.

Til then, Ben!

Comment

Itīs not that I canīt see why you would rather not have it known that a number of renowned researchers think that the new Hutchinson is a complete non-starter as it stands.
                        As against the chorus of renowned researchers in the field of "ripperology" who support Fetchbeer as a suspect? Those others who have expressed a critical view of Sinese's article - all Fetchbeerians, presumably? But yes, let's give it time and not quibble. I'll admit to being quietly confident about the chances of this particular Hutchinson being considered a very reasonable one in the long run, although it won't be a "major disappointment" for me if I'm wrong, considering that I neither wrote the article nor conducted the research that went into it.

Comment

Ben:
                          Those others who have expressed a critical view of Sinese's article - all Fetchbeerians, presumably?

Eeehhhhhhh... Jon Menges? And Debra Arif? Lechmerites...? Actually no, not as far as I know. Definitely not, Jon, leastwise.
                          Havenīt asked Debra, though, but since she is sharp as a razor, hugely knowledgeable and normally very openminded, I kind of count on her accepting that Lechmere is a very good bid for the Nichols murder - at the very least.

Not sure that it clinches the deal, though.

Comment

I think you mean section, not thread. There's Lechmere threads aplenty on this forum. A couple of them are even worth reading.

It does seem unfair that a crackpot suspect like Lewis Carroll merits his own subsection whereas Lechmere doesn't.

Comment

I kind of count on her accepting that Lechmere is a very good bid for the Nichols murder - at the very least.
                              Really? I kind of don't.

But I'm open to correction, of course.

It seems you missed my point, which was to highlight the inconsistency of championing the views of "renowned researchers" on the subject of this particular Hutchinson, when you're quite happy to reject those same "renowned researchers' views on the subject of Fetchbeer.

Comment

Working...
                              X