Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTCG
    replied
    If he took it to France, maybe a better question is how did the handout advertisements from the late evening clubs get to Sickert in France so he could doodle on them?

-or-

Did Cross also obtain them, and somehow learn to draw in Sickert's exact hand?

-or-

Was France on Cross' meat delivery route?

Leave a comment:

• Jon Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by BTCG View Post
    Four: If Cross was the killer, how was he able to access Sickert's stationary to send many of the Ripper's letters?
    Good point.
    Did Sickert take his stationary to France with him or did he leave it London?

Leave a comment:

• BTCG
    replied
    Dear gawd.. this thread is at best, like a bad smell; at worst (save a mere handful of intelligent people and responses), a contest among idiots.

Most obviously:

One-How do we know the spot at which the victim was found was the actual crime scene?

Two- Why is it seemingly ignored (by most, anyways) that visibility at the hour of the morning the body is found is practically nil?

Three- Why is it seemingly ignored (again, by most) that the better case can be made against Mizen as the killer?

Four: If Cross was the killer, how was he able to access Sickert's stationary to send many of the Ripper's letters?

Puzzling!

Leave a comment:

• Jon Guy
    replied
    The devil is in the detail, Christer

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    Regarding the hat, either Cross or Paul moved it, as Neil found it by her left side.

Eh...? Hats will not fall to the left...? Or?
    Cross: Her bonnet was off but close to her head
    Daily News Sept 4th

PC Neil:Her bonnet was off and lying close to her left hand
    Reynolds Sept 2nd

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    An Australian Shepherd!
    A beaut dog.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post

What sort of pup?
    An Australian Shepherd!

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    For what it's worth, in Cockney usage 'old man' and 'old lady/woman' were used for father/husband and mother/wife.

As in, 'My old man (husband) said follow the van...' and 'My old man's (father) a dustman.'
    Hello Barnett

Yes, quite correct but not as a greeting. In fact in Kent, where I grew up, they still use "old" in front of a person's name. As in "old Gertie's gone down the council now!" - not meaning that the person is old, more affectionate/half admiring.

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    For what it's worth, in Cockney usage 'old man' and 'old lady/woman' were used for father/husband and mother/wife.

As in, 'My old man (husband) said follow the van...' and 'My old man's (father) a dustman.'

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    I always thought it sounded a bit affectionate, especially with the prefix "watchman":

"Watchman, old man, did you hear that..."

To me it sounds like a younger man paying a nice tribute to a significantly older man.

Then again, I am not the Englishman around here...
    Naah Fisherman, then he would have used "old c*ck!"

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    When I visited Australia four or five years ago, I quickly turned into "mate".

In the East End, I am sometimes addressed "love".

I prefer both to "old man"...

PS. My dog, a four and a half month puppy, is also an Aussie. But it seems that simply means he´s American or even Spanish...
    Love's not uncommon here, was once the norm from barmaids.

What sort of pup? Mate

Had an English friend who called pretty much everyone Old Son.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    Hello Fisherman and Ben

No, no you aremissing the intricacies of the British class system. No working class man would address another as "old man". A butcher might tell him to take a butcher's but between equals "mate" is and was and is the norm for working class men.

Best wishes
    C4
    I always thought it sounded a bit affectionate, especially with the prefix "watchman":

"Watchman, old man, did you hear that..."

To me it sounds like a younger man paying a nice tribute to a significantly older man.

Then again, I am not the Englishman around here...

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Surname is still the normal form of address among Barristers.

Mate is my fallback, being an Aussie, covers a multitude of situations G'day Mate.

Especially when I've forgotten his darn name.
    When I visited Australia four or five years ago, I quickly turned into "mate".

In the East End, I am sometimes addressed "love".

I prefer both to "old man"...

PS. My dog, a four and a half month puppy, is also an Aussie. But it seems that simply means he´s American or even Spanish...

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    This rule has, however, many refinements and exceptions. In Britain, in the public (that is, private) schools, socially prestigious clubs, the armed services, and other groups, it has been common for males to address each other by surname alone (Good to see you, Brown!, or, affectionately, Brown, my dear chap, it's good to see you!), but this practice appears to be on the wane.

(This article deals with modern day usage, old man, old chap was used at the time equally)

Best wishes
    C4
    Surname is still the normal form of address among Barristers.

Mate is my fallback, being an Aussie, covers a multitude of situations G'day Mate.

Especially when I've forgotten his darn name.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Same source

This rule has, however, many refinements and exceptions. In Britain, in the public (that is, private) schools, socially prestigious clubs, the armed services, and other groups, it has been common for males to address each other by surname alone (Good to see you, Brown!, or, affectionately, Brown, my dear chap, it's good to see you!), but this practice appears to be on the wane.

(This article deals with modern day usage, old man, old chap were used at the time equally).

Best wishes
    C4
    Last edited by curious4; 10-02-2015, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Regarding my last

Informally, especially among working-class (BrE), blue-collar (AmE) groups, casual forms of address are common: (1) Male to male, bud(dy) in the US (especially to a stranger); mac in Scotland and parts of North America (to an equal, especially a stranger so perceived); mate in Britain, Australia, and New Zealand (to an equal, including a stranger so perceived); pal in North America and Scotland (to an equal, especially a stranger so perceived). (2) Female and male to female, hen (in Scotland, especially in Glasgow); honey (especially in North America, including to strangers), and its variant hinny in the North of England; love (especially in England, including to a male and a stranger, virtually regardless of social position).http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O29-FORMOFADDRESS.html

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X