Policeman - Bucks Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policeman - Bucks Row

Charles Cross testimony - 'Witness suggested that they should give her a prop, but his companion refused to touch her. Just then they heard a policeman coming.'

Just something I've never seen mentioned by pro or anti Lechmere posters. Who was this Policeman 'they' heard?​

This is one of those wayward accounts that crop up from time to time in newspaper reporting. The journalist obviously misheard and misreported what was said.

Not only can we account for the locations of Mizen, Thain, and Neil, but Cross elsewhere states that there was no policeman in Buck's Row while he was there.

Further, it's ludicrous to think that Cross and Paul would agree to walk off and alert the first policeman they found (and did so) if there was a policeman already coming.

Also note that--unlike the more credible reports--it is Cross that wants to prop up the body and Paul is the one refusing.​

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
      This is one of those wayward accounts that crop up from time to time in newspaper reporting. The journalist obviously misheard and misreported what was said.
      Hi Roger,

This is quite probably the correct assumption. Seeing that, instead of the "Just then they heard a policeman coming" phrase​, other versions of Lechmere's inquest statement read "let us go and tell a policeman"/Let's go on till we see a policeman and tell him"/ “You had better go on, and if you see a policeman tell him" at the same point in their statement version.

Further, it's ludicrous to think that Cross and Paul would agree to walk off and alert the first policeman they found (and did so) if there was a policeman already coming.
      That only becomes more ludicrous when you consider that Paul's also quoted to have stated that "They looked to see if there was a constable, but one was not to be seen."

Also note that--unlike the more credible reports--it is Cross that wants to prop up the body and Paul is the one refusing.​
      Indeed, Roger.

Cheers,
      Frank
      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
        Hi Roger,

This is quite probably the correct assumption. Seeing that, instead of the "Just then they heard a policeman coming" phrase​, other versions of Lechmere's inquest statement read "let us go and tell a policeman"/Let's go on till we see a policeman and tell him"/ “You had better go on, and if you see a policeman tell him" at the same point in their statement version.

That only becomes more ludicrous when you consider that Paul's also quoted to have stated that "They looked to see if there was a constable, but one was not to be seen."

Indeed, Roger.

Cheers,
        Frank
        As with everything I read that you post, I find myself nodding my head up and down.
        " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
        Sherlock Holmes
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
          Charles Cross testimony - 'Witness suggested that they should give her a prop, but his companion refused to touch her. Just then they heard a policeman coming.'

Just something I've never seen mentioned by pro or anti Lechmere posters. Who was this Policeman 'they' heard?​
          The most surprising thing for me Geddy would be if the guy that wrote that had a long and successful career in journalism. A case of someone writing without actually thinking about what he’s writing.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Duran duren View Post

As with everything I read that you post, I find myself nodding my head up and down.
            Thanks, DD.
            "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
            Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

And thanks for the new Lechmere thread, Geddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                And thanks for the new Lechmere thread, Geddy.
                The sarcasm is strong in this one... the reason is clearly stated in the OP. I'll go and ask the admin to remove if you like or of course today's TOP TIP no one is forcing you to read it and you could have scrolled on by without making a comment which of course keeps it in the 'most recent posts' section

Comment

Working...
                X