All roads lead to Lechmere.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Very good post, I was about to post the same, but no point in duplication.
    So at average walking speed of 3.1 mph he's going to get the the known entrance in Eldon street in under 10 minutes and the proposed entrance in skinner street in 9 minutes

Steve
    I agree with your estimate of 10 minutes because 0.8 km is about half a mile and it seems most people take about 20 minutes to walk a mile.

That means that if the murderer left Millers Court at 5:45 AM and somehow managed to find somewhere to wash his blood stains off - say in the space of five minutes - then he would have arrived at work at 6:00 AM, a full 2 hours late.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Miller's Court was about one quarter of the way along Dorset Street from the Commercial Street end of it and does not now exist, so, when using
      information about distances online, I am using distances between landmarks that exist now.

I can't remember where I got the 1 1/3 mile estimate from, but there is a distance given online between Christchurch Spitalfields and Old Broad Street as 1.4 miles.

According to https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Commerc...d-Broad-Street

Old Broad Street is a 15 minute walk from Commercial St, London E1 6BW, UK
      Old Broad Street is a 14 minute walk from Commercial St, London E1 6LZ, UK

Those walking times suggest a slightly longer distance than yours - about 0.8 miles, not 0.8 km.

I can read the name of the starting point - Duval Street - which suggests an early twentieth century map.

Am I right?

Would you share with us the name of software you used to make the measurement?
      Let me try and assist here.

It looks like Mark was using the National library of Scotland website, which provides various maps with overlays if wanted, and most useful a measuring tool.

It looks like Mark used a 20th century map, and therefore he has the entrance in Eldon street slightly out.

Here is a link to the OS map for the 1890s for that area.

I have also attached the maps with distances from.the 1890s OS map.
      The figures will never be the same, as you draw the line to be measured yourself and the maps are a little different.

You can see that the northern route, which I mistakenly referred to a Skinner street when it should be Appold street is 817 meters which is about 894 yards or about 1/2 mile.

The southern route to the known entrance in Eldon street is 798 meters or about 873 yards.

3.1 mph ( approx average ) is almost 91 yards a minutes

So the northern route would take around 9 minutes 50 seconds

The southern route would take about 9 minutes 36 seconds.

I hope that helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Let me try and assist here.

It looks like Mark was using the National library of Scotland website, which provides various maps with overlays if wanted, and most useful a measuring tool.

It looks like Mark used a 20th century map, and therefore he has the entrance in Eldon street slightly out.

Here is a link to the OS map for the 1890s for that area.

I have also attached the maps with distances from.the 1890s OS map.
        The figures will never be the same, as you draw the line to be measured yourself and the maps are a little different.

You can see that the northern route, which I mistakenly referred to a Skinner street when it should be Appold street is 817 meters which is about 894 yards or about 1/2 mile.

The southern route to the known entrance in Eldon street is 798 meters or about 873 yards.

3.1 mph ( approx average ) is almost 91 yards a minutes

So the northern route would take around 9 minutes 50 seconds

The southern route would take about 9 minutes 36 seconds.

I hope that helps.
        Many thanks for all that information.

I did think that my estimate of one and a third miles looked a bit long, but it was based on distances provided by Google with a necessarily-different starting point, and of course the routes available nowadays.

It reduces the time for Lechmere to have got to work by about 16 minutes, but he would still have been two hours late!

That is, IF he had gone to work that day and somehow ended up in Dorset Street.

Comment

... my estimate of one and a third miles looked a bit long, but it was based on distances provided by Google with a necessarily-different starting point, and of course the routes available nowadays...
          No. You had a cluelessly wrong starting point and a cluelessly wrong ending point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	millers court distance ACTUAL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	798476

M.
          Last edited by Mark J D; 10-29-2022, 09:26 PM.
          (Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark J D View Post

No. You had a cluelessly wrong starting point and a cluelessly wrong ending point.

Click image for larger version Name:	millers court distance ACTUAL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	798476

M.
            Is that a supposition, a fact, or an insult?

Comment

• Bit harsh when only trying to help imho

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                Bit harsh when only trying to help imho
                It's okay to call someone clueless?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post

I was linking his politics to showcase he's a gibbering moron and therefore, unlikely to be able to come up with a cogent argument to support his theory.

Butler was a leader of the BNP. Butler is a fascist. Fascists aren't known for keen insight, analysis and processing ability.

Well, well.

I did read a hint on another thread a few hours ago that Stow might not be his real name and now I see why.

It does explain a lot.

It isn't normal for historians or researchers to accuse someone of ignorance and malice, as he did to me.

I am aware that one member here accused me of playing the victim when I was accused of being ignorant by members here.

Maybe he thinks the way Stow behaves is all right.

I wonder whether he changed his name legally.

I keep hearing his followers - I mean believers - accusing Lechmere of having no right to call himself Cross without having changed his name legally.

What would they say if Edward Stow testified in court under that name?

I mean, I can't think why he would be in court - presumably, someone who was a prominent member of the National Front and British National Party isn't the kind of person who would ever get involved in anything violent, and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that he would use that name in a court case - but isn't there a delicious irony in Stow's accusations against Lechmere being based partly on his use of a name with which he wasn't born?

The only thing that surprises me is his choice of victim: I would have expected him to go for Kosminski rather than Lechmere.
                  Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 11-10-2022, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• I suspect it has to be his personal connection to Lechmere. It may sound utterly perverse and horribly egotistical, but it has happened before, for example with the swiftly forgotten Uncle Jack.

If I'm on the right track, and if Stow finds some moronic pleasure in the thought of just a few degrees of separation between himself and the ripper, then Kosminski would have to be the last man he would 'champion' as Jack.

Twisted, I know.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                      I suspect it has to be his personal connection to Lechmere. It may sound utterly perverse and horribly egotistical, but it has happened before, for example with the swiftly forgotten Uncle Jack.

If I'm on the right track, and if Stow finds some moronic pleasure in the thought of just a few degrees of separation between himself and the ripper, then Kosminski would have to be the last man he would 'champion' as Jack.

Twisted, I know.

Love,

Caz
                      X

Sorry, but I didn't get the reference to Uncle Jack.

Yes; I agree that it seems to be beyond coincidence that Butler/Stow has targeted one of his in-laws, so to speak.

Comment

I mean, I can't think why he would be in court - presumably, someone who was a prominent member of the National Front and British National Party isn't the kind of person who would ever get involved in anything violent...
                        Have you heard of Combat 18?

Eddy Butler leads a Combat 18 group to a BNP meeting in Bethnal Green in April 1992. Source: “White Riot: The Violent Story of Combat 18” by Nick Lowles (Milo Books, 2001)​​
                        Attached Files

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post

Have you heard of Combat 18?

Eddy Butler leads a Combat 18 group to a BNP meeting in Bethnal Green in April 1992. Source: “White Riot: The Violent Story of Combat 18” by Nick Lowles (Milo Books, 2001)​​

I have indeed.

That's almost like reading that Martin Fido had been a member of the SS.

Combat 18 (C18) is a neo-Nazi organisation associated with Blood and Honour, the BNP and the National Front. It originated in the United Kingdom, but has since spread to other countries. Members of Combat 18 have been suspected in numerous deaths of immigrants, non-whites, and other C18 members.[1] The 18 in its name is derived from the initials of Adolf Hitler: A and H are the first and eighth letters of the Latin alphabet. Combat 18 members are barred from joining the British Prison Service[2] and police.[3]

COMBAT 18: definitions, meanings, uses, synonyms, antonyms, derivatives, analogies in sensagent dictionaries (English)
                          Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 11-10-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Eddy Butler is no Martin Fido.

From what I understand his long time partner in racist hate, fellow former BNP member Susan Clapp, is the great-great granddaughter of Charles Lechmere.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                              Eddy Butler is no Martin Fido.

From what I understand his long time partner in racist hate, fellow former BNP member Susan Clapp, is the great-great granddaughter of Charles Lechmere.

JM

That explains why when Susan Clapp and another follower of Stow were baiting me with crude insults and insinuations of paedophilia, Stow refused to condemn them.

I didn't realise I was asking him to denounce his own wife!

After all, it's not like asking him to accuse one of his wife's ancestors of being a murderer.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                                I suspect it has to be his personal connection to Lechmere. It may sound utterly perverse and horribly egotistical, but it has happened before, for example with the swiftly forgotten Uncle Jack.

Twisted, I know.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                That may be the key - fictional serial killers are bold, clever, witty, powerful, dangerous, and in control - all the things fascists like to pretend they are.
                                "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Working...
                                X