No announcement yet.

Was Lech known as Cross at Pickfords??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct, Edward; it is quite clear that Neil being quizzed about this was something that preceeded the inquest. And it is nothing but fascinating how the developments can all be pieced together in such detail. Unless the papers misreported it all, it goes to show that no doubt whatsoever, Lechmere did not contact the police before sometime late on the Sunday.

Some don´t appreciate this to the full, though.

The best,
    Fisherman
    Last edited by Fisherman; 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Yes and it's qute fascinating how these overlooked details can be tweaked out of the existing records

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        At the very least, he could take his apron off, if - as has been suggested - this relatively well-off man, who could afford to send all his kids to school, had no Sunday best to put on.
        School attendance was not an indicator of wealth or social status, Fish. It was a statutory requirement imposed by the 1870 Education Act. As a consequence Cross would have had little option but to send his children to school.

Comment

Thank you, David! It was exactly the answer I hoped for!

The best,
          Fisherman
          Hi Fish
          I wasn't surprised at your method either.
          Sometimes, you seem to live in your own world and it doesn't help for a fruitful discussion. Would you forgive me if I had no time yesterday evening to address your infuriated posts ? Let's take our time. It's an interesting topic and my aim isn't to be "right" by all means.

For the time being, here is my problem : would Mizen have concealed his encounter with the carmen until Sunday evening ? Is it conceivable ? Have we got solid evidence that he did ?

Comment

• Garry Wroe:

"It was a statutory requirement imposed by the 1870 Education Act."

Aha - I did not know that, Garry, so thank you for informing me!

Anyway, it still remains that he would have payed to have all his kids baptized (and it was a swarm of them, closing in on a dozen), just as we know that he apparently had saved up enough money to open a shop in later years, and he left a tidy sum behind when he passed away.

We may also look at Robert Paul, who said he ha to pay another man five shillngs per day to do his work when he himself was at the inquest. And five shillings per day was not a very low wage. Jack London writes in "People of the abyss":
            "The average weekly earnings of the hawkers and costermongers are not more than ten to twelve shillings. The average of all common labourers, outside the dockers, is less than sixteen shillings per week, while the dockers average from eight to nine shillings. These figures are taken from a royal commission report and are authentic.

Five shillings per day makes for a weekly salary of 30 shillings, so a carman apparently was not that bad off.

Plus he did not have to spend a penny, sending his kids to school. Thanks, Garry, for straightening that out!

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

• And Paul having been interviewed as soon as Friday evening, is it possible that nothing had leaked out until Sunday ?
              If so, it seems to me that both Mizen and the Lloyd's reporter have commited a serious offence.

Comment

• We know Baxter did not spare the police whenever he got the opportunity.
                Then why not asking Mizen straightforwardly : "did you report to the investigators that you had talked with two carmen that morning ?"

Comment

• David:

"Sometimes, you seem to live in your own world and it doesn't help for a fruitful discussion."

In my own world? Come on, David ...!

"Would you forgive me if I had no time yesterday evening to address your infuriated posts ?"

They were anything but infuriated. They were calm and clear. Which makes it so more odd that you wrote that my questions in post 233 were "not questions" but a mess.

Here they are again:

Why would the police severely question Neil about his role? He must have said exactly what happened - that he found Nichols lying on the pavement, neck cut. Why would his colleagues not simply accept this?

Why would anybody suspect that Mizen would have been the PC Paul spoke of, given that Paul stated that he found his PC at the end of Buck´s Row?

Why would it not all have been cleared up on Sunday afternoon, if Lechmere had spoken to the police earlier? Why was it that the Daily News claimed that Neil fervently denied having spoken to two men? Why had HE and not Mizen been approached in the matter?

Why would it not all have been cleared up on Sundayt afternoon if Mizen had spoken to his superiors about the two carmen on Friday or Saturday?

Why did the police say that the two PC:s who had covered the entrances to Buck´s Row had said that they had not seen any strange men leaving the street if this was not so? Did the police lie about this? Had Mizen spilled the beans, whereas the police had kept it under wraps? If so, why?

What is it you cannot understand about these questions? Why are they a mess? They seem very clear and unambigous to me. But maybe that´s because I "live in my own world", perhaps...?

Really, David. If you realize that you cannot produce an answer to a question without giving away that you are wrong, then just say so. Don´t go around painting ME out as living in my own world if the shortcomings are all on your side. Like I said, it shows.

Now, please give these questions a try, David. Either present useful answers to them or explain to me what it is you can´t understand about them, and I will do my utmost to clear things up. Promise!

"Let's take our time. It's an interesting topic and my aim isn't to be "right" by all means."

Mine is. Factually right, in accordance with the evidence, representing the records as fairly as possible. I always aim to be as correct as possible.
                  But I see what you mean, David, and I will be very pleased if you come good on it.

"For the time being, here is my problem : would Mizen have concealed his encounter with the carmen until Sunday evening ? Is it conceivable ? Have we got solid evidence that he did ?"

But wait, David... Here are three questions that are produced along the exact same lines as MY questions - the unanswered ones - to you.

Now you have me confused. What shall I do? Shall I say that these are not questions but an outright, incomprehensible mess? Like you do, I mean?

Of course, they are not. They are just as clear as mine, and I am having no trouble at all to see what you ask for.

Then again, would it not be prudent if YOU said the same about MY questions and answered them first?

I think I will make a compromise, and answer ONE of your questions, the last one, and then I will await YOUR answers to MY questions before expanding on things.

So, do we have solid evidence that Mizen concealed his encounter with the carmen until Sunday evening?

That is a somewhat tricky question, given your wording. For you postulate a very active manner of going about things on Mizens behalf - that he actively concealed his knowledge about the carmen.

Let me answer in this way: Just how active Mizen was in concealing things, we can´t tell - but we DO have clear evidence that the police did not know about Mizens encounter with the carmen until late on Sunday. If this in it´s turn was due to Mizens superiors not asking him the right questions, or if it depended on Mizen actively keeping things from them is a bit harder to tell.

If you want me to guess, then I´d say that Mizen actually omitted to mention the carmen since he was very uneasy about not having taken down their names and details. We KNOW that he had been asked whether any men had left the spot (Buck´s Row" to "attract attention" to themselves, and we also know that he answered this question in the negative. And according to Thain and Mizen, no such men had been in place.

This of course nullifies your point that Mizen would not have concealed things - he did so from the outset, quite apparently. And what does that mean? I´ll tell you, David - it means that once again, we have a naysayer (and that would be you) making a very logical point (PC:s normally don´t conceal things like these from their superiors), that is chewed up by the evidence - we clearly and quickly realize when reading that evidence, that Mizen claimed than no men had left Buck´s Row to attract attention to themselves. He concealed, thus.

So there you are, David. One of your questions answered and bolstered by the evidence. My suggestion is that you now answer my questions, and then I will take care of what´s left on your behalf. Fair enough, eh?

All the best,
                  Fisherman
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• David:

"If so, it seems to me that both Mizen and the Lloyd's reporter have commited a serious offence."

As you now know, Mizen DID actively deny having seen the carmen. And if you need the answer to why a journalist would have put the lid on instead of leaking things to the police and risking that his own paper was the last to report a scoop, then I think that question answers itself.

Once again, you think that even if the evidence flies in the face of such a thing, you prefer to believe that everybody will always go by the book. I mean, knowing what Mizen said about any men leaving Buck´s Row (No guv, no such men came to my attention!), how can you keep pushing the view that he would never do what we know he did?

Evidence always trumphs preconceived notions.

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

• David:

"why not asking Mizen straightforwardly : "did you report to the investigators that you had talked with two carmen that morning ?""

Wudda - cudda - shudda, David. Again.

Plus the investigators already knew he did not - at least not from the outset. And apparently not after that either, since Neil remained the sole finder of Nichols in the eyes of the police until very late in the process.

The best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                        Daily News of Monday 3rd September

It is not true, says Constable Neil, who is a man of nearly 20 years' service, that he was called to the body by two men. He came upon it as he walked, and, flashing his lanthorn to examine it he was answered by the lights from two other constables at either end of the street. These officers had seen no man leaving the spot to attract attention, and the mystery is most complete. Nevertheless, the utmost efforts are being used, a number of plain clothes men being out making inquiries in the neighbourhood, and Sergeants Wright and Godley have interviewed many persons who might, it was thought, assist in giving a clue.

Fish, if I'm correct, "These officers" (ie : "that had seen no man...") refers to Mizen and Thain. And they can be counted among people "who might assist giving a clue" - giving a clue before Sunday, that means.

First question they (Enright and Godley, and Neil as well) would have asked Mizen : why did you go to Buck's Row ?

Ok, it's another "shudda...etc", but rather an obvious one, and when there are too many "shudda", one has the right to raise an eyebrow, I believe. Perhaps I should list the "shudda", btw.

We have the case of Chandler, demoted to Sergeant for being drunk on duty.
                        What Mizen has done, if you and Lechmere are correct on this (which is possible, I agree, according to your evidence), is a much more serious offence than Chandler's. He "shudda" been fired out, but what happened to him ? I've already pointed out that he was even not questioned on this by Baxter.

I sense that too many things happen, in your scenario, between the publication of the Lloyd's (Sunday afternoon) and the Daily News interview (Sunday evening, entre la poire et le fromage).

Comment

• David:

"Fish, if I'm correct, "These officers" (ie : "that had seen no man...") refers to Mizen and Thain."

That is one thing that will prove very hard to question, yes.

"And they can be counted among people "who might assist giving a clue" - giving a clue before Sunday, that means."

No, not really. The ones the police wanted to assist with clues were people representing the public. Mizen and Thain had already said what they had to say - and that was that neither man had seen any man leave the spot to attract attention. The deduction can only be one: Jonas Mizen was asked if he had seen anybody leave Buck´s Row, and chose to respond in the negative.

We don´t know at what exact stage the question was put to Thain and Mizen, but logic dictates that it happened early on Friday.

"First question they (Enright and Godley, and Neil as well) would have asked Mizen : why did you go to Buck's Row ?"

NO!!! Leave the "shudda"´s out, David! Neil very clearly stated that he wawed Mizen down with his lamp, and Mizen would not have denied this. If he HAD denied it, it would have meant that he said A/ "No, I saw noone leave Buck´s Row", and B/ "No, I was not summoned by Neil - two carmen who arrived from Buck´s Row sent me".

Do you see how preposterous this would be? Mizen chose to ommit his knowledge of the carmen - and that meant that he would go along with Neils proposition that he was called to Brown´s Stable Yards by means of Neils Bulls eye lantern.

"What Mizen has done, if you and Lechmere are correct on this (which is possible, I agree, according to your evidence), is a much more serious offence than Chandler's."

It is a serious offence, yes. But just as you note, it is nothing we have dreamt up. Instead we have it black on white. This was exactly what Mizen did. And not only did he start out like that, he also kept silent about it throughout, since otherwise, we would not have Neil and the collected Met believing on Sunday noon that the good PC HAD been the first person to find the body.

"I sense that too many things happen, in your scenario, between the publication of the Lloyd's (Sunday afternoon) and the Daily News interview (Sunday evening..."

Ah. Then this is a wuddn´tave, shuddn´tave and cuddn´tave. How refreshing! Be a bit more specific - what is it you can´t accept? Maybe I can help out, who knows?

Oh yes, and my questions - how about them? They are still waiting for an answer.

Not to be, eh?

The best,
                          Fisherman

Comment

Oh yes, and my questions - how about them? They are still waiting for an answer.
                            Not to be, eh?
                            Fisherman
                            Most refreshing.... Haven't I said that your evidence is...evidence ? But is it a solid one ? That's a question you should ask yourself as well, Fish. It seems to me that your evidence is contradicted by quite a long list of shuddas, as you put it.
                            But feel free to ignore that shuddas, if you think it makes your scenario more reliable.
                            Another way would be to weight things calmly, and this, I believe, could well add value to your theory. Or not.

Comment

• DVV
                              I think it is a little futile criticising accounts based directly on what was reported.
                              For your theory to be correct the police must have lied to the press.
                              Why?
                              Is it so surprising to think that the police were 'guilty' of various cockups that morning?
                              We know they failed to knock on most doors down Bucks Row to ask if anyone had heard anything. We know they left Polly unattended which led to the mortuary attendants stripping her body.
                              The police were criticised for these things.
                              Mizen's neglect was just another error. He could hardly be singled out when his seniors had made other seemingly more serious errors.

Comment

• DVV
                                I think it is a little futile criticising accounts based directly on what was reported.
                                Hi Lechmere, no it is not. Unless you think that all that was reported in the papers is reliable. Sometimes, if not often, they are not, and sometimes (even more irritating) they are unclear - or contradicted by other evidences. It seems to me that it is the case here.
                                So can we go ahead ? (But warn Fish : I have to walk my dog before noon)

For your theory to be correct the police must have lied to the press.
                                Wait, I have no theory. I'm questioning yours.

Mizen's neglect was just another error.
                                Not that I want to split hair, but I won't call this an error. It would be a serious offence.

And what would be the reason for such an offence ?

Comment

Working...
                                X