The Nature of Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick

It's a bit like the rule applied to Robert Paul in the Documentary is it not.

He enters on the North side of Bucks Row yet Crosses to the South for no reason. And of course he will need to cross back to the North with Cross afterwards to get to see Mizen.

Rules change to suit the need.

Before Christer posts back I am fully aware the Documentary was nothing to do with him as regards control of content and presentation. Not his fault or doing.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      At the west end of Buck's Row were the Board School and Schneider's factory, opposite each other. Both of them reportedly contained night watchmen, with whom beat PCs tended to check in with as they passed. There are no buildings immediately east of either, so the obvious route would be for Neil to cross the road at this point. Therefore whichever side of the street Neil started on is more or less irrelevant, I think.
      Do you mean that he crossed in order to be able to speak to both watchmen? So that if he came in on the northern side, he crossed over to the south side and vice versa?

Comment

• Herlock Sholmes: One point that I might get Fish's opinion on is the one that I've made several times before with no response.

First part, do you think that the killer was the type of killer that just attacked on the spur of the moment. I believe that the phrase is 'a disorganised' killer? Obviously bearing in mind that he avoided capture.

I think he was opportunistic, but I do not think he was a spur-of-the-moment killer. I think he set out with the hope to find himself a suitable opportunity to kill, that he many times chose not to and that he took his chances when they came.

Or, secondly, do you think it more likely that he actually 'set out' to kill. Likely after an urge built up in him? And remembering that for many serial killers 'the hunt' is all part of the excitement.

Yes, I believe he set out to kill, as per the above. I do not think "the hunt" was something he looked for, although he may have liked the feeling of being able to kill without being detected. My belief is that his interest lay in the phase after the kill. I think he sought for women, quite simply, not necessarily because he disliked women (or some women), but instead because they gave him the opportunity to engage in mutilations, mutilations that I believe had an element of ritual in them.

If it's the second point (and it's surely the far more likely option) then do you feel that a killer would leave himself only 30 minutes to find and kill a prostitute and still get to work on time.

I have no idea how much time he afforded himself. I think he identified the period involving his working trek as the best opportunity he had to procure victims without being found out.
        If he used this period of time to kill, we must assume that he had some means to clean up, either at work or at some other premises. These are unknown factors, but we know that he had been working for Pickfords for twenty years, so it may well be that he enjoyed a more secluded envieonment at work than youngsters, or that he arrived earlier than his working comrades and had the opportunity to clean up to whatever extent that was necessary. It may well be that he had gotten new duties before he set out on his killing spree, ant that these duties involved better conditions for a killer. It´s written in the stars. What I DON´T think he did was to leave home every day at 4.20, cramming a murder in every now and then, and arriving bloodsoaked at a working place where he was exposed to working comrades.

Bearing in mind that most of that 30 minutes would have been taken up by the simple act of walking from Doveton Street to Broad Street. And bearing in mind that Buck's Row wasn't a known soliciting area so he couldn't have 'expected' to be so lucky as to find a victim on his work route.

It would certainly be unpredictable hunting grounds, yes. But I feel there is every chance that he took his time, and sought out streets where he knew prostitution was rife.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
          Ah. General rules and principals. Our perception of the world. Fair enough.

Although, it does seem as if these guidelines are precisely what you endlessly argue against when it comes to any analysis of Cross, his life, his actions on the night of the Nichols' murder and at the inquest into her death.

For instance, Cross "raises the alarm" to Robert Paul, asks for his aid, "Come see this woman." If we make an assumption that this stone will fall to the ground, then we view Cross as what he presented himself to be: a man who found a woman lying on the pavement and told the first living soul he encountered. For you, however, this stone cannot fall to earth: Cross killed Nichols and his enlistment of Paul's help was a bluff designed to aid his escape. As well, his actions are symptomatic of his psychopathy.

We also know that Cross escaped Buck's Row, unnamed, unsuspected, almost entirely unmentioned, in fact. Yet, we know he showed up at the inquest of his own accord. Ah! But we mustn't wait for this stone to fall to the earth either, for that would have us view Cross as a only a witness, the finder of a body. This stone, like the one before it and so many others, vanishes. Because, we're to believe that Cross voluntarily submitted himself to interrogation at the inquest not for reasons based upon any "general rules or principals", not to perform a civic duty upon seeing his actions described in print ala Leon Goldstein, but to perform another elaborate ruse designed to evade suspicion, further evidence that he was a psychopath.

You seem to be applying a new set of rule, Christer. I want to be sure I understand them so that we can apply them to you, as well.
          Really? To me it seems a lot more as if you are trying to be sarcastic.

If you are arguing that I should vote for how the dearth of serialist should make me go "Lechmere could not have been a killer - it is unusual", you are kind of wasting your time, Patrick...

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            Patrick

It's a bit like the rule applied to Robert Paul in the Documentary is it not.

He enters on the North side of Bucks Row yet Crosses to the South for no reason. And of course he will need to cross back to the North with Cross afterwards to get to see Mizen.

Rules change to suit the need.

Before Christer posts back I am fully aware the Documentary was nothing to do with him as regards control of content and presentation. Not his fault or doing.

Steve
            Have a look at "The defintive story" when it comes to the Nichols murder and the roles of Paul and Lechmere, Steve.

I would not want to be responsible for that....

Comment

• Hi All,

Christer has said that if Cross wasn't actually a psychopath, he would have to concede the man was innocent.

Now this is interesting, because it implies that the man's [suspected] psychopathy is key, and that without it, everything about Cross that made Christer suspicious of him in the first place must have had a perfectly innocent and natural explanation, just as gravity explains his stone falling "to the ground".

What I'd like to know from Christer is if he has any other concessions to make. In short, which, if any of his other suspicions about Cross would be a game changer, if he was wrong?

If Cross was known as Cross whenever dealing with people face to face?

If he told the police his real name and they allowed him to use Cross to spare Mrs Lechmere and all the little Lechmeres from unwanted attention?

If PC Mizen was mistaken and was only told he was "wanted" in Buck's Row, where a woman was lying on the pavement in an uncertain state?

If Paul heard everything that was said to PC Mizen and considered it to be a true picture?

If Christer is wrong about the blood evidence?

If Christer is wrong about anyone's timings, particularly how long Cross was in Buck's Row before he was aware of Paul's approach?

I think these cover the main issues but I'm sure I must have forgotten loads of more minor ones because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of substance here.

Must dash, as my lovely stepson is coming to stay tonight. Not sure when I'll be back to see Christer's response, if any.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Last edited by caz; 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM.
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                Have a look at "The defintive story" when it comes to the Nichols murder and the roles of Paul and Lechmere, Steve.

I would not want to be responsible for that....
                Yes nothing is perfect and the two are far to close together but at least Paul in on the correct side of the road.

Steve

Comment

Do you mean that he crossed in order to be able to speak to both watchmen? So that if he came in on the northern side, he crossed over to the south side and vice versa?
                  Yes, that is what I was trying to suggest. Only as a possibility, of course, but it's what I'd do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                    Interesting idea David.

Got me wondering if there is an earlier version than Lloyds account.

Yes indeed there is. Evening Post 1st which you transcribed and posted some time back:

"Police constable Neil said that on Friday evening at a quarter to four he was
                    proceeding down Buck’s-row Whitechapel, from Thomas-street, when he found
                    the body of the deceased. There was no-one about at the time. He went round
                    there half an hour previously, and met no one then. It was on the right hand side
                    of Buck’s-row he found the body lying upon the footway. "

Here we see the use of right hand side; however it refers to the position of the body not that of Neil.
                    Is it possible that this came to be given in later versions as "I" rather than "It"?
                    Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that the Evening Post story is a "version" of the Lloyds story rather than a separate report but I would say that the account of Neil's evidence in the Evening Post is so different to the account in Lloyds/Morning Advertiser/Standard etc. that they must surely have been written by different reporters.

The key to identifying the different reporters in court on that day may be in the address of Edward Walker.

According to Lloyds/Morning Advertiser/Standard etc. he lived at "15, Maidwell-street, Albany-road, Camberwell".

According to the Evening Post reporter, however, he lived in "Maiden-street, Albany-road, Camberwell", no door number being provided.

The Times has his address as being "16 Maidswood-road, Camberwell" from which I think we can conclude that the Times had a separate reporter at the inquest and that there were at least three reporters in the courtroom that day.

I note that the Echo - assuming it's been transcribed correctly - has Walker living at "16, Madswood-street, Albany-road, Camberwell" which is a bit similar to the Times but might indicate the presence of a fourth reporter.

Comment

Herlock Sholmes: One point that I might get Fish's opinion on is the one that I've made several times before with no response.

First part, do you think that the killer was the type of killer that just attacked on the spur of the moment. I believe that the phrase is 'a disorganised' killer? Obviously bearing in mind that he avoided capture.

I think he was opportunistic, but I do not think he was a spur-of-the-moment killer. I think he set out with the hope to find himself a suitable opportunity to kill, that he many times chose not to and that he took his chances when they came.

Or, secondly, do you think it more likely that he actually 'set out' to kill. Likely after an urge built up in him? And remembering that for many serial killers 'the hunt' is all part of the excitement.

Yes, I believe he set out to kill, as per the above. I do not think "the hunt" was something he looked for, although he may have liked the feeling of being able to kill without being detected. My belief is that his interest lay in the phase after the kill. I think he sought for women, quite simply, not necessarily because he disliked women (or some women), but instead because they gave him the opportunity to engage in mutilations, mutilations that I believe had an element of ritual in them.

If it's the second point (and it's surely the far more likely option) then do you feel that a killer would leave himself only 30 minutes to find and kill a prostitute and still get to work on time.

I have no idea how much time he afforded himself. I think he identified the period involving his working trek as the best opportunity he had to procure victims without being found out.
                      If he used this period of time to kill, we must assume that he had some means to clean up, either at work or at some other premises. These are unknown factors, but we know that he had been working for Pickfords for twenty years, so it may well be that he enjoyed a more secluded envieonment at work than youngsters, or that he arrived earlier than his working comrades and had the opportunity to clean up to whatever extent that was necessary. It may well be that he had gotten new duties before he set out on his killing spree, ant that these duties involved better conditions for a killer. It´s written in the stars. What I DON´T think he did was to leave home every day at 4.20, cramming a murder in every now and then, and arriving bloodsoaked at a working place where he was exposed to working comrades.

Bearing in mind that most of that 30 minutes would have been taken up by the simple act of walking from Doveton Street to Broad Street. And bearing in mind that Buck's Row wasn't a known soliciting area so he couldn't have 'expected' to be so lucky as to find a victim on his work route.

It would certainly be unpredictable hunting grounds, yes. But I feel there is every chance that he took his time, and sought out streets where he knew prostitution was rife.
                      To simplify my point. CL left home at 3.30 (I know that The Times said 3.40, but as per the documentary Fish I think that you accept 3.30 as likeliest time?) He was due at work at 4.00. I can't recall from Steve's research how long it would take to walk from Doveton Street to Broad Street but let's say 20 minutes for arguements sake. That leaves a spare 10 minutes.

10 minutes to deviate from his work route to a more promising hunting ground/ to find and engage with a prostitute/ to find a spot and kill her/ possibly to check himself over for incriminating bloodstains/ then to continue to work (from a location that could have been further away than on his original route.)

All in 10 minutes!

Surely we have to accept that this makes CL an unlikely killer?

Regards

Herlock
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        To simplify my point. CL left home at 3.30 (I know that The Times said 3.40, but as per the documentary Fish I think that you accept 3.30 as likeliest time?) He was due at work at 4.00. I can't recall from Steve's research how long it would take to walk from Doveton Street to Broad Street but let's say 20 minutes for arguements sake. That leaves a spare 10 minutes.

10 minutes to deviate from his work route to a more promising hunting ground/ to find and engage with a prostitute/ to find a spot and kill her/ possibly to check himself over for incriminating bloodstains/ then to continue to work (from a location that could have been further away than on his original route.)

All in 10 minutes!

If he was, then he was a killer with a piss-poor instinct for time management
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

All in 10 minutes!

Regards

Herlock
                          Hi, Herlock. I agree. Cross is an unlikely killer for many reasons.

We're told he was a psychopath because he killed Nichols and if he killed Nichols he was Jack the Ripper and that Jack the Ripper was clearly a psychopath. Of course, we've no evidence he killed Nichols. And there's nothing we know of his life outside of Buck's Row to indicate psychopathy.

For instance, men incarcerated for violent crimes have a higher incidence of psychopathy. Likely 20-30% of such men are thought to be psychopaths. Thus, if we had some evidence suggesting that Cross had been violent and/or incarcerated for a violent crime, we'd have a reason to suspect that an increased likelihood of psychopathy might be possible. Alas, we've no records that Cross was ever violent, arrested, incarcerated, etc. On the contrary, the records show he resided, consistently, throughout his life, at addresses that place him outside of any prison.

As well, I'm always confused when proponents of "the carman" as Jack the Ripper discuss the time that Cross may or may not have left his home, if he had time to commit the crime, etc. We're to believe he was a psychopath, Jack the Ripper, but he was truthful about the time he left for work on the morning Nichols was killed?

Further, are we to believe that Cross - as the Ripper - arose for work each day like any man would, allowing sufficient time to get to work, allowing only a few moments to ensure he'd not be late due to unforeseen circumstances, while planning to commit murder - should the opportunity arise - on his way to work? So, he was a psychopath, Jack the Ripper, but only when his daily schedule allowed him the time?

Cross testified at the inquest that he left 22 Doveton Street in Bethnal Green around 3:30am. If one believes him to have been Nichols' killer, isn't it more likely he left home at midnight? 2am? Was his desire to kill such that he could take it or leave it? That is to say, if the opportunity arose to kill a prostitute situated along his route to work, during the thirty minutes or so he allowed for his work commute, then he would happily do so and his bloodlust would be satiated. And if not, well, that's okay, too....there's always tomorrow?

This seems hard to believe, based on what we know of the murders. For instance, if we believe in the Double Event then we believe the killer pursued another victim because he'd failed to achieve a satisfactory outcome with Stride due to the arrival of Deimshutz in Dutfield's Yard. Thus, he seeks out another victim, and we get Eddowes in Mitre Square. As well, are we to believe that he left for work earlier, on just that night? It's evident the killer spent far more time with her than he did the other victims. So, if his MO was to kill women he propositioned along his route to work while he made his way to work, during the time allotted for his commute to work, how does Kelly fit? He broke the MO and left earlier for her, on the just the right night. The night he met a woman with her own room. And in having that extra time he was able to fully indulge his fantasies? Lucky day, that! He did all that to poor Mary and still made it to work on time? Or, are we to also believe that he might have cut the carnage in Miller's Court short because he was due at work?
                          Last edited by Patrick S; 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                            Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that the Evening Post story is a "version" of the Lloyds story rather than a separate report but I would say that the account of Neil's evidence in the Evening Post is so different to the account in Lloyds/Morning Advertiser/Standard etc. that they must surely have been written by different reporters.

The key to identifying the different reporters in court on that day may be in the address of Edward Walker.

According to Lloyds/Morning Advertiser/Standard etc. he lived at "15, Maidwell-street, Albany-road, Camberwell".

According to the Evening Post reporter, however, he lived in "Maiden-street, Albany-road, Camberwell", no door number being provided.

The Times has his address as being "16 Maidswood-road, Camberwell" from which I think we can conclude that the Times had a separate reporter at the inquest and that there were at least three reporters in the courtroom that day.

I note that the Echo - assuming it's been transcribed correctly - has Walker living at "16, Madswood-street, Albany-road, Camberwell" which is a bit similar to the Times but might indicate the presence of a fourth reporter.

Seperate account in my view. Obviously based on same information but with enough difference to say it's by another hand than Lloyds.

Sorry if my use of "version" confused you.
                            The Times having a different reporter may equally explain the report being written in the 3rd person.

Steve

Comment

All in 10 minutes!

Regards

Herlock
                              Hi Herlock

Before someone jumps all over you there is a typo there the Times is 3.20, not 3.40.

At a reasonable pace, not excessively fast between 27 and 28 minutes from door to door.

The argument which will be used against you is that Lechmere may have left earlier than even 3.20. Of course such cannot be disproved and is one of the tactics employed by the Pro Lechmere people.

Steve

Comment

• Not at all, Steve, I just think it's a useful exercise to establish which reports were by different journalists. When I was initially trying to compare reports of the evidence of Charles Cross at the 3rd September hearing a couple of years ago, I ended up "corroborating" evidence from different newspapers only to end up realising that they were actually identical reports! Hence I did an exercise of trying to work out which newspapers carried the same reports and which were unique (and there is a separate thread on this) to avoid others doing the same thing.

I never did this with the reports from the 1st September, though, and was surprised to discover yesterday that the majority of them were written by the same person!

Comment

Working...
                                X