The Nature of Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post

The post has a number. 256. Original post. Not changeable.

So we need systems for checking sources.

Pierre
    Pierre. That's true NOW. But it wasn't. I have changed it.

What if it wasn't originally 256, but... a different number, a different date, or even the word 'judges'?

You, you who are usually so keen to find sources 'unreliable' and interpret what they really say behind the tendencies.... but so unwilling to believe that your fellow (and actually incorporeal) poster Henry Flower has made changes to something as malleable as an internet post / reality / your memory, while you slept, which you are doing now, and which you are always doing ...

It is not my job to persuade, merely to organise. Bless you Pierre. Bless you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Time is a function of entropy
      Time is an illusion
      Time is an evil hag who steals our youth and murders us all
      Time flies
      Time is only a real concept when combined as space-time

Time to go take a dump
      Abby, I admire this admixture of the cosmic and the cloacal: would you perhaps like to join a cult I'm starting, in which I get to father lots of children by the female devotees and disseminate the occasional highly spurious ejaculations of wisdom in return for your life-savings?

Go on. It'll be fun. We can derail threads together! Murder Hollywood actresses! Await the mothership on the roof of my house!

Join me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
        Pierre. That's true NOW. But it wasn't. I have changed it.

What if it wasn't originally 256, but... a different number, a different date, or even the word 'judges'?

You, you who are usually so keen to find sources 'unreliable' and interpret what they really say behind the tendencies.... but so unwilling to believe that your fellow (and actually incorporeal) poster Henry Flower has made changes to something as malleable as an internet post / reality / your memory, while you slept, which you are doing now, and which you are always doing ...

It is not my job to persuade, merely to organise. Bless you Pierre. Bless you.

After a weekend of hard research, reading and writing this has certainly lightened the mood Henry.
        Love it

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          After a weekend of hard research, reading and writing this has certainly lightened the mood Henry.
          Love it

Steve
          I'm in a state of mild distress and levity, Steve, wife and kids away for a month, and I miss my daughter terribly. Apologies for the meandering, and I look forward to the fruits of your research.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
            Abby, I admire this admixture of the cosmic and the cloacal: would you perhaps like to join a cult I'm starting, in which I get to father lots of children by the female devotees and disseminate the occasional highly spurious ejaculations of wisdom in return for your life-savings?

Go on. It'll be fun. We can derail threads together! Murder Hollywood actresses! Await the mothership on the roof of my house!

Join me.
            Hi Henry
            I appreciate the invite, but I'm a cult of one.

Comment

Hi Henry
              I appreciate the invite, but I'm a cult of one.
              And so another dream dies....

But it was only a dream. A dream within a dream, within a dream.

Nevermore.

Comment

• Abby is also a guy, for future reference.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                  Abby is also a guy, for future reference.
                  As Osgood says, "Well, nobody's perfect!"

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fisherman;422964]Elamarna: Of course Fish we really have nothing to say when he approached the authorities do we?

Yes, we actually do have a few bits and bobs that allow us to establish a few things. we know that on the evening of the 2:nd, Neil was still claiming to be the finder of the body, and that was on Sunday, the day before Mondays inquest day. So at that stage, Lechmere had quite apparently not made his entrance.
                    If you are saying that we do not have the exact time he arrived at the cop shop, you are correct, of course.

Fish,
                    Could you point out the source which says Neil was still making the claim on the Sunday evening has you say above?
                    Something I have always accepted but can't seem to find .

Steve

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;423295]
                      Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                      Elamarna: Of course Fish we really have nothing to say when he approached the authorities do we?

Yes, we actually do have a few bits and bobs that allow us to establish a few things. we know that on the evening of the 2:nd, Neil was still claiming to be the finder of the body, and that was on Sunday, the day before Mondays inquest day. So at that stage, Lechmere had quite apparently not made his entrance.

If you are saying that we do not have the exact time he arrived at the cop shop, you are correct, of course.

Fish,
                      Could you point out the source which says Neil was still making the claim on the Sunday evening has you say above?

Something I have always accepted but can't seem to find .

Steve
                      Hi,

The most important issue here is this:

we know that on the evening of the 2:nd, Neil was still claiming to be the finder of the body, and that was on Sunday, the day before Mondays inquest day. So at that stage, Lechmere had quite apparently not made his entrance.
                      (Fisherman)

Problems, problems.

1. Neil was still claiming on the evening = wrong.

Correct is: Newspaper(s) claimed on the evening. Newspaper(s) claimed in the past. It is an established historical fact, since the source(s) writing about the claim is there.

I.e. In the past Neil was doing something else on the evening of the 2:nd. On paper Neil was claiming.

2. Fisherman constructs "a stage". It is a stage on paper, not a stage in the past.

3. Lechmere had "apparently". That is, on paper. It appears to Fisherman (the subject who experience the appearance), on paper.

In the past, Lechmere had done or had not done it.

= What Lechmere had done in the past is not visible to us.

Before we write history, the least we must do is to distinguish between THE PAST and WRITING ABOUT THE PAST:

i.e. writing history.

Cheers, Pierre
                      Last edited by Pierre; 07-26-2017, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Pierre

That may all be true, however I wish to know which source says that on the sunday (evening) Neil is still claiming he is the finder.
                        I just wish to see the source; as I appear not to be able to find it.

Yes there are papers published on Monday which give Neil's testimony from Saturday; that is obviously not the same.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          Pierre

That may all be true, however I wish to know which source says that on the sunday (evening) Neil is still claiming he is the finder.
                          I just wish to see the source; as I appear not to be able to find it.

Yes there are papers published on Monday which give Neil's testimony from Saturday; that is obviously not the same.

Steve
                          It's a good question Steve. We can all, and I certainly have on many occasions, fall into the trap of tacitly accepting that something is true or proven simply because it's been repeated with confidence often enough. There maybe a source but, like you, I'm unaware of it.

Regards
                          Herlock
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            It's a good question Steve. We can all, and I certainly have on many occasions, fall into the trap of tacitly accepting that something is true or proven simply because it's been repeated with confidence often enough. There maybe a source but, like you, I'm unaware of it.

Regards
                            Herlock

Hi Herlock.

And that brings us back to the "Nature of Evidence" it's what does it actually say?
                            A good example is the earlier (mainly 31st August) press reports which claim that Nichols neck was bleeding profusely. Some see this as little short of an interview with Neil. Indeed such a term was used this year. However it is clear it is not presented as such or even as a quote. It's down to personal intpretation.

That's why I am interested in the actual source.
                            The important point for my reading of the Mizen scam is that Neil is not aware of Mizen's account on Saturday at the inquest; so to some extent knowing on Sunday or not unimportant to a degree.

Steve

Comment

Hi Patrick
                              I don't know if it would even be a list though. The only ones I can think of are the soldier that was with Tabram and blotchy.
                              The 'gang' members who attacked Emma Smith.

The foreign looking man seen talking to Annie Chapman.

Broadshoulders and Pipe Man.

The man seen canoodling with Kate Eddowes. [We don't know if this was Anderson's suspect.]

The man Hutchinson saw with Kelly [if he existed].

I expect there were other persons of interest who were never traced from the witness descriptions given.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Time is a function of entropy
                                Time is an illusion
                                Time is an evil hag who steals our youth and murders us all
                                Time flies
                                Time is only a real concept when combined as space-time

Time to go take a dump
                                Time goes well with parsley, sage and rosemary.
                                Time goes more quickly when we're happy.
                                Time goes much more slowly when I'm wading through Fish's posts.
                                Time reveals all.

I thank you.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X