This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Looks pretty much the same to me Cornwell said 400,000 99.2% equals 360,000 in 40 million, pretty close.
    So why would anyone accept it?
    In case it wasn't obvious
    Was sarcasm.
    Okay...
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• I think...

I think that the new book should be read alongside the Parlours' 1997 account of the shawl. My guess is that they will be pretty much the same. There's not much new in Ripperworld.
      SPE

Comment

By someone who there is no record of having been present, who is alleged to have said that he took it on the way to the mortuary?
        That's the story which has been passed down, it needn't necessarily be the truth.

Comment

• Off

Anyway, I'm off to bed to dream about my new found fame...
          SPE

Comment

• Stewart,

There you go with your 'deep' again. Is Lolesworth Street any deeper into H division than Mitre Square is into the City?

And are we to believe that the Met/City would co-operate to catch a few petty fish thieves but not in the case of the WM or potential terrorists?

MrB

Comment

Yep that seals it for moi.
              Are you French?

Comment

By someone who there is no record of having been present, who is alleged to have said that he took it on the way to the mortuary?

Has Trevor Marriott suggested that maybe a dog picked it up and ran off with it or even....no no lets not go there"

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                  That's the story which has been passed down, it needn't necessarily be the truth.
                  Well what is? That's the story the book seems to present.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                    Anyway, I'm off to bed to dream about my new found fame...
                    Nothing new in your fame Stewart.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                      Are you French?
                      Non.
                      G U T

Comment

Well what is? That's the story the book seems to present.
                        Yes it does. However, I realise how stories change, and evolve in the space of a hundred years .

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                          Has Trevor Marriott suggested that maybe a dog picked it up and ran off with it or even....no no lets not go there"
                          I actually thought that was a possibility re the apron at one stage but some pretty intense research convinced me that stay dogs were rarer than hens teeth in '88 East End.
                          G U T

Comment

Non.
                            You dropped an e there.

Comment

• G'day Gut,

The story goes that Amos asked permission to take the shawl from his superiors.

That is quite clearly absolute bollocks. If a PC did obtain the shawl, either in Mitre Square or subsequently in the WM investigation, he nicked it while no one was looking.

Of course,we have no written record of a policeman stealing a valuable item from the crime scene, or subsequently, but then why would we?

MrB
                              Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-09-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I actually thought that was a possibility re the apron at one stage but some pretty intense research convinced me that stay dogs were rarer than hens teeth in '88 East End.

Really large sanitry cloth ?... No ..no lets really not go there!

Comment

Working...
                                X