This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
    I doubt either of them are but by the same token the appropriate platform for such things tends to be conferences I would have thought - me appropriate than a free-for-all forum, largely populated by anonymous quick on the draw Mcgraws.
    Still the opportunity is there. They can't be accused of hiding.
    I was thinking maybe there are people who have contacted Dr Louhelainen ( I took the cut and paste advice on the name) privately with questions who are hoping to get an answer before November.

Comment

• I very much doubt that Dr Louhelainen will leave these questions unanswered for another six weeks.

Comment

I doubt either of them are gagged (judging by their press interviews) but by the same token the appropriate platform for such things tends to be conferences I would have thought - more appropriate than a free-for-all forum, largely populated by anonymous quick on the draw Mcgraws.
        Still the opportunity is there. They can't be accused of hiding.
        Well, I doubt RE would avoid a chance to spruik his book, so his appearance is unsurprising.

So far as JL is concerned, it will depend on what he's there to talk about. According to the programme Lechmere posted yesterday, he is only is only going to talk about how he extracted the DNA. If he really does confine to that, it will be almost useless.

Moreover, given the reports about his uni advising him to keep his head down, I fully expect him to be very circumspect.

He is reported in the Finnish press as saying that some people at his uni are indignant that he used uni resources for this. He then says that millions of people have now heard of an 'unknown university'.

Who knows what his uni will make of comments like that. Is there such a thing as bad publicity?
        Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Debra
          I think maybe some people have had replies - but again he is a busy academic and if he gets bombarded with emails from unscientific enthusiasts then it is understandable that replies may be slow in coming back. If he had time to do these replies then no doubt he would have time to construct an academic review paper - which would be a lot more valuable than piece meal replies to e-mails.
          But these issues can be put to him at the conference in person and there will undoubtedly be opportunity to talk to him outside the confines of his specific slot at the event.
          Perhaps you should book a ticket!

November isn't very far off. Patience!

Comment

Debra
            I think maybe some people have had replies - but again he is a busy academic and if he gets bombarded with emails from unscientific enthusiasts then it is understandable that replies may be slow in coming back.
            It's also start of the academic year. Very busy.

I agree with what Lechmere is (I think) saying. There is no substitute for an academic paper. Emails, one-on-one chats,talks to a group of lay people are no substitute for the real McCoy.
            Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

Those who have bought and read the book have every right to question any of the things stated in it that we find misleading, incorrect or unclear, including the large sections quoted from Dr Louhelainen himself.

And happily Russell Edwards and Dr Louhelainen (as he must now be called) will be in front of a room full of Ripperological enthusiasts (who have shelled out £130 for the privilege) to answer questions.
              Although I see from comments already made that this will not satisfy some of the more verbose posters on here.
              I think the majority of people going had already shelled out £130 before Russell and Dr Jari (sorry, Dr Louhelainen) decided to make an appearance.

Rob (but you can call me Robert)

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                So far as JL is concerned, it will depend on what he's there to talk about. According to the programme Lechmere posted yesterday, he is only is only going to talk about how he extracted the DNA. If he really does confine to that, it will be almost useless.
                That's right, Mick. I wonder if he will be talking mainly about the laser microscope and the way he was able to remove single cells set on a slide and extract DNA from them. I think that is important to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  I very much doubt that Dr Louhelainen will leave these questions unanswered for another six weeks.
                  Fingers crossed.

Comment

Debra
                    I think maybe some people have had replies - but again he is a busy academic and if he gets bombarded with emails from unscientific enthusiasts then it is understandable that replies may be slow in coming back. If he had time to do these replies then no doubt he would have time to construct an academic review paper - which would be a lot more valuable than piece meal replies to e-mails.
                    But these issues can be put to him at the conference in person and there will undoubtedly be opportunity to talk to him outside the confines of his specific slot at the event.
                    Perhaps you should book a ticket!

November isn't very far off. Patience!
                    £130 to ask one very important question?!

Comment

• Debs, I think he will do a peer-reviewed paper, to talk about his new technique at least.

Ed, 100 witnesses = 100 different versions especially when abstruse scientific matters are concerned.

Comment

• It will be interesting to hear them answer questions side by side. During the Alan Titchmarsh interview, ER was asked if Dr L (whose name he had trouble pronouncing) was '100% certain that it was Kosminski' and his answer was 'Yeah'.

MrB

Comment

• The fact that they are both going to this years conference shows they are not hiding from the 'enthusiast' audience and as I said irrespective of what is actually covered on their respective official talks and irrespective of what questions are formally asked, no doubt much much more information will be divulged and available afterwards for digestion.
                          At the moment we are reliant on 100 different versions of what various scientific Wikipedia articles say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Debs, I think he will do a peer-reviewed paper, to talk about his new technique at least.
                            There's an important point there. Scientific journals are interested in publishing papers only if the work is novel in some sense. They wouldn't be interested in publishing a paper that simply described the application of standard sequencing techniques.

It seems to me that the most important information for us - exactly what parts of the sequences were matched, and what those matching sequences were - is the least publishable part of the work in scientific terms.

On a more positive note, that information could be released without the need for any peer-review process, and without the need for any great expenditure of time by Dr Louhelainen.

Comment

• I personally think £130 is a steep price - but the list of speakers (including Sarah Wise and Paul Begg) is very good this year and with Russell Edwards' and Dr Jari Louhelainen's (as I must henceforth cut and past every time) involvement it is not to be missed - in my opinion.

Some lucksters (who must be called Robert) even got their tickets early apparently - before all this hoo-ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                                You beat me to it Debs. You're both spot on.

I don't understand this unquestioning worship of people with academic qualifications. Some of the PhD theses I've had to read in my time wouldn't really warrant anything more than the bin. That's becoming increasingly the case in recent years in some institutions. I could mention one about a massacre of aborigines in 19th-century NSW, but I'd better not. The killings certainly occurred but the thesis, and subsequent book, about them is as useful as Edwards's - not big enough for a door-stop, and not much use for owt else.

Even the real experts (of which JL probably is one) aren't always infallible. And when what tiny aspect of their work we have is only available through a popular book, and a couple of brief interviews, then we can't accept anything.

So question on I say.
                                No doubt! It seems I owe Lynn Cates an apology as there may be one or two "science worshipers" here after all.

Even subject matter experts make mistakes all the time -- they're human. This is why peer review exists and why it is critical.

After reading the book, even taking everything at face value (a generous concession), the only real potentially significant item is the proposed Eddowes match, so focusing on that question seems to be most important to me.

On the face of it, this did seem to have real potential, but the problems that have now been brought light regarding the reported mutation are very legitimate and are in need of addressing -- but it's not that complicated and i think Jari (sorry it's just shorter to type his given name) could address this very quickly without needing to wait for his publication which will be months down the road at best.

As Chris tried to explain to Observer, the issue being brought up is not that hard to understand. You might have to be an expert and have access to the data to have an answer to the problem, but you don't need to be an expert to understand the nature of the problem.

For those who want to have a better understanding I recommend visiting the other thread. For those who are a happy with a synopsis in laymen's terms, I'll give it a try:

Basically the sequence in question where the supposed mutation occurs is a problematic one because of issues in the Cambridge Reference Sequence, the original baseline reference genome that samples are compared to. These issues can sometimes cause problems in the way the bases in this part of the sequence are reported. There is really no such thing as 314.1C -- as Chris said it's just a misreporting of 315.1C, which is a very common result.

The literature that has been found that discusses this problem with results being reported as 314.1C are mostly articles discussing different software programs and how they compensate for the reporting problem.

So yes, this result of 314.1C is something that even an expert like Jari could have misinterpreted because it is problem area -- particularly if, for example, he is using older software that doesn't account for the problem. If this is what happened then it demonstrates exactly why peer review is so critical, because while it could simply be an honest mistake, it's one that would have probably be caught before publication under normal circumstances.

Now that said, I would agree with Observer on the general point that it would still be unusual for Jari to have missed this, as a quick scan of the literature would have revealed the potential problem here -- it is an issue, but it seems to be a "known" issue. And because of that I think Jari deserves the benefit of the doubt until he has a chance to address it, because we are still basing this on what was reported in Edwards book. And I think anypne who has read it carefully will understand that nothing in the book can be trusted as far as accuracy -- even sections that appear to be more or less quoted from Jari. But he really does need to address it soon because right now it doesn't look good.

I think there are several possible scenarios here:

1. Jari was fooled by his software or whatever and mistakenly thought he had a very rare mutation. He told this to Edwards before checking it out more thoroughly and Edwards ran with it. Now that he has been made aware of the problem (according to Chris), we may see him back off his conclusions.

2. Same scenario as above, but Jari caught the issue. It would not surprise me a bit if Jari, in doing more research realized the problem himself and told Edwards he was mistaken, but it was either too late to change the book or Edwards simply ignored the correction and printed the preliminary results because it supported his position -- the book is filled with this kind of cherry-picking.

3. As Fantastic proposed, Jari may have been talking about a different mutation that really is rare and Edwards garbled or conflated what was told to him. Given the problems with the book that Mick Reed has post so many excellent examples of, I don't think that this possiblility should be discounted.

Chris pointed out in the other thread, that Jari has apparently been made aware of this issue. I would think his reaction at being told about it would be very telling. If he seemed non-plussed as though he was well aware of it then it's probably a case of Edwards misreporting the results. If, on the other hand, he seemed surprised, then we probably have a real problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X