Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID event of Kosminski-Did it take place or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by booth View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that an ID event of some sort did take place. Swanson seems to think it did, he was privy to a lot of information that we can only dream of knowing about, information that has been lost or perhaps was never officially "logged". It's entirely possible that the answer to this whole mystery has really been within our grasp for a while now and we haven't taken notice of it for whatever personal reasons. Put it this way, I'm more likely to believe a police inspector who was involved in the original investigation rather than someone writing about the investigation 124 years later...
    I agree with the point you are making, except that I think we do not have what you need. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that either Anderson or Swanson were directly involved so you trust their words over any latter-day author?

Anderson almost certainly was not involved in any ID, and Swanson most likely was not. They both had desk jobs.
    If the Met. police were involved the actual figures present might be Abberline & Reid, but no-one senior to Abberline.
    If it was a City police initiative then perhaps McWilliams?

Regards, Jon S.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Sagar also said that the suspect he watched was committed by his "friends" to an asylum. And the murders stopped. What Swanson said as well.

Sagar: Identification being impossible, he was committed to an asylum.

Was Swanson and Sagar referring to the same person?

Comment

Hi all of you,

My point was that Swanson obviously knew something had gone on, something had happened involving an identification that was not public knowledge but it was known to perhaps only a few select police officials. Swanson and Anderson may only have had desk jobs, but their positions would have certainly put them in a position where they would be privvy to info that would otherwise be kept from general circulation.

When I first read of Swanson's notes in Paul Begg's book (a long time ago it seems now!) I tried to understand what would have prompted a retired police inspector to write what he knew, in pencil in the margins and end notes of a book he had, about possibly the biggest police investigation this country had seen up to that point. Swanson was involved in that investigation. He was the Yard's chief inspector involved with the case and if information had come to light about any suspect he would have had to know about it, as the Yard would then be involved in trying to get the suspect prosecuted. He would have been in a "need to know" position. At some point after Mary Kelly's murder information comes to him about a suspect, information that upon investigation appears to be a chance of a positive ID of a suspect. What happens after that is lost to us now. If it was documented then it's been filed away very well, as no-one has seen it since. Maybe it was destroyed, stolen, who knows?

What we do know is that at some point long after the murders Swanson reads Anderson's book. He reads what Anderson has to say about a suspect being identified but no conviction is brought against him. Swanson writes down his own knowledge of the situation. It seemed to me that he was writing it down because he needed to (pure speculation on my part), that perhaps he "needed to get it off his chest" (again, my own speculation). He knows that an ID did take place, he knows that a suspect was found, he KNOWS that Jack the Ripper was caught BUT they never got him in court, they never got him to the gallows because their witness refused to testify. He was the chief inspector on the biggest murder case in British criminal history and as far the public is concerned, Scotland Yard didn't solve it. But Swanson knows that they did, sort of, and Anderson knows that they did, sort of, and it must really have frustrated them to know what they knew and not be able to make the suspect's name public. So Swanson, at the end of his notes names the suspect. He has carried that name around with him for a long time and he needs to put it down on paper.

That's all speculation. I wasn't there, no-one else was there. All we have is a book, written by somebody else, with notes written by it's owner. No-one can know for sure why he wrote what he wrote.

But let's speculate just one more time. What if it's all true?

Jon, I certainly don't think Swanson or Anderson were there at the ID, but they certainly would have known about it if it had happened.

Lynn, I think maybe people should have given Anderson more credit. Perhaps Ripperologists should have been trying to find his Polish Jew all these years instead of pinning the murders on any passing Royal, Freemason, doctor, artist or whoever the current suspect is.

I've read these forums for a long time and it's only recently that I've decided to stick my nose in and start talking about the case. So please be gentle with me! I've had a fascination with the case for a looong time, and I have my own theories. It's great to be able to have this chance to talk about them.

my best, Rich

Comment

The proof of the pudding . . .

Hello Booth. Thanks.

"Perhaps Ripperologists should have been trying to find his Polish Jew all these years instead of pinning the murders on any passing Royal, Freemason, doctor, artist or whoever the current suspect is."

Many have. Shall we discuss their results up to the present? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

yeah I know....

Hi Lynn,

"Perhaps Ripperologists should have been trying to find his Polish Jew all these years instead of pinning the murders on any passing Royal, Freemason, doctor, artist or whoever the current suspect is.".......oops

Yeah, maybe I could have phrased that a bit better....

The first Ripper book I ever read was Martin Fido's, and for a while I really thought David Cohen was a good suspect. In fact, if it wasn't for Swanson naming a Kosminski as a suspect, then David Cohen would still be my favourite. I went through a phase where I tried to read as many books as possible to get an answer. I'm sure none of us would be here on the forums if there wasn't an obsessional element to our interest in the case, and I did become obsessed. My local library probably thought I was slightly weird with the amount of Ripper books I asked them to order for me. So I never believed the "celebrity Ripper" theories that have popped up over the years. I've always believed that the answer was in Whitechapel - a local man, possibly with a minor criminal record, but certainly below the radar of suspicion, and not at all obviously maniacal or murderous. I wish Swanson had sharpened his pencil a bit more and left us a few more clues....

So yeah, I was perhaps a bit sweeping and dismissive in my earlier statement about all the effort put in over the years. Please forgive me, I'm new in the neighbourhood...

I just get frustrated, like recently, when I hear of a new book and the author claims to have outstanding new evidence and then it turns out that lo and behold VAN GOGH was the Ripper. I mean, come on?! Really?? And this is then put forward as the new suspect by the press ( I think the Van Gogh thing appeared on the BBC website) and it all turns out to be very silly.

cheers,
            Rich
            Last edited by booth; 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I'm sure none of us would be here on the forums if there wasn't an obsessional element to our interest in the case, and I did become obsessed.
              Hi Rich...ain't that just the truth?

And I suppose the flipside is that, at this distance of time, if someone ever does come up with a valid answer, there'll always be the rest of us to cry foul anyway!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Absolutely! We all have our favourite theories and I'm sure nothing less than a signed confession and possibly a pic of the suspect with a bloody knife will change minds!

I think given the distance of time a lot of us are just going to have to "agree to disagree" and to be honest I enjoy the different theories, even the outlandish ones, as it keeps the case alive and sometimes very useful info appears as a result of the research. I do get slightly depressed reading the forums sometimes as they appear to be used as platforms for personal attacks and quite childish behaviour. We are all on here because we share a common, albeit slightly morbid, interest in a fascinating mystery. Some people tend to take it a bit too far and regard differing opinions as personal attacks.

I'm not as obssessed as I was (at least I don't think I am!) but it's still a fascinating case.

best wishes,

Rich

Comment

celebrity Rippers

Hello Rich. No, I didn't see dismissive. Of course, there is a good bit of nonsense about the WCM, but the old posters here are almost immune.

"I never believed the "celebrity Ripper" theories that have popped up over the years."

Nor yet I. You're a wise man.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Scott.
                    There's a case to be made for Macnaghten, Anderson, Swanson & Sagar all being influenced by a similar story, but where lays the original?
                    Last edited by Wickerman; 04-14-2012, 11:10 PM.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

event

Hello Jon. That is PRECISELY what I want to know.

Sounds almost like something that happened at Mitre sq but was not revealed until later.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                        I subscribe to the brilliant theory of Stewart Evans and Don Rumbelow in 'Jack the Ripper--Scotland Yard Investigates' (2006) that it is Anderson and/or Swanson (one repeating the other's opinion) that it is the failed identification of Ripper suspect Tom Sadler and his 'confrontation' by Jewish witness Joseph Lawende being sincerely mis-remembered.
                        Well, I wouldn't exactly call that a 'brilliant theory'.

More like 'clutching at straws' to my mind.

I was disappointed by Evans and Rumbelow coming up with this claptrap.

But I suppose it might boost a Druittist's theory.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Sounds almost like something that happened at Mitre sq but was not revealed until later.
                          Hi Lynn

Yes I have a feeling (no more than that) that something was going on at Mitre Square that night...some kind of trap perhaps, but one from which the killer escaped...got no evidence for that, but as we previously surmised the later summary and (ill-documented) dismissal of Harvey is suggestive...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by booth View Post

Jon, I certainly don't think Swanson or Anderson were there at the ID, but they certainly would have known about it if it had happened.
                            Rich.
                            I'm not disputing them knowing about the ID. We do possess writings from October 1888 where Anderson claims the police have no clue. Swanson makes no insinuation that the police have a particular suspect and Reid also claims the police had no clue whatsoever.
                            The ID must have taken place long after the Ripper crimes.

I am not convinced that recollections (memoirs) given 20+ years later are necessarily accurate as to the specifics. In general yes, an ID took place (apparently), but when, where & concerning whom?
                            Those questions I think are still debatable.

Regards, Jon S.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

More like 'clutching at straws' to my mind.

I was disappointed by Evans and Rumbelow coming up with this claptrap.

But I suppose it might boost a Druittist's theory.
                              Hi Stephen

Yes, me too...it's just about the most disappointing aspect of an otherwise brilliant book...

But the whole Seaside Home thing is so puzzling anyway

Dave

Comment

suggestive

Hello Dave. Yes, suggestive. But so many suggestions.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X