masturbator or self-harmer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masturbator or self-harmer?

I'm interested in the term 'self-abuse' in relation to Aaron.

I have mentioned this on another thread but it occurred to me that the meaning of this term is actually quite important when considering Aaron Kosminksy's potential for violence.

The term could possibly mean that Aaron was self harming (possibly cutting his arms or stomach with a knife). This in its self might of been enough to alarm members of the constabulary when they were looking for a 'knife wielding lunatic'.

If it is the case that self abuse meant self harm then I would be inclined to view Aaron in a quite different light than if the term meant that he was masturbating either excessively or in inappropriate settings....

A person that self harms is generally someone that internalises their anger/hatred etc (turns their aggression or anger in on themselves) as opposed to someone that externalises their hatred/anger/aggression. As such I personally would be less inclined to accept Aaron as JtR.

Originally posted by Versa View Post
    A person that self harms is generally someone that internalises their anger/hatred etc (turns their aggression or anger in on themselves) as opposed to someone that externalises their hatred/anger/aggression. As such I personally would be less inclined to accept Aaron as JtR.
    hm I'm not sure, people who tend to have a problem with self mutilations do internalise their pain alright, but it doesn't mean they can not snap against someone else. most of the time they're over sensitive emotionally, and if being extremely hurt by someone they can be just as violent toward that very person. they're not safe from snaping against the person who is hurting them inside in a moment of emotional distress. now my words are a bit messy i hope you know what i mean. friday night...

Comment

If you do a search in Google Books for occurrences of the phrase "self-abuse" around 1890, you'll see that the results appear to relate almost exclusively to masturbation, and often to masturbation viewed as a cause of insanity.

Comment

Hi Versa

I did a very quick search for self-abuse references in the Times. I couldn't click them all up but there were adverts coupling self-abuse with intemperance and libertinism. And specifically, there was a longish item from Aug 22nd 1888, a clipping from which is attached here. I think it's plain here that masturbation is meant - presumably the objector would have been Ok with restraint if it had been to prevent self-harm, which he'd probably have viewed as a medical purpose.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
          if being extremely hurt by someone they can be just as violent toward that very person. they're not safe from snaping against the person who is hurting them inside in a moment of emotional distress.
          Which in all fairness can be said about anybody.... The point is though IF the term meant self harmer rather than masturbation then Kosminsky could be viewed in a different light, ie possibly less sexually orientated...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            If you do a search in Google Books for occurrences of the phrase "self-abuse" around 1890, you'll see that the results appear to relate almost exclusively to masturbation, and often to masturbation viewed as a cause of insanity.
            Thanks that's pretty clear then!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Hi Versa

I did a very quick search for self-abuse references in the Times. I couldn't click them all up but there were adverts coupling self-abuse with intemperance and libertinism. And specifically, there was a longish item from Aug 22nd 1888, a clipping from which is attached here. I think it's plain here that masturbation is meant - presumably the objector would have been Ok with restraint if it had been to prevent self-harm, which he'd probably have viewed as a medical purpose.
              Thanks for that

Issue cleared up then!
              Last edited by Versa; 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Somebody once told me that masturbation can be rather pleasant.
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Which in all fairness can be said about anybody.... The point is though IF the term meant self harmer rather than masturbation then Kosminsky could be viewed in a different light, ie possibly less sexually orientated...
                  yep definitely, well now we have the answer anyway... he was a wanker in the original meaning of the term, a manic one

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                    yep definitely, well now we have the answer anyway... he was a wanker in the original meaning of the term, a manic one
                    lol yes, and how many of them do I know

Comment

lol yes, and how many of them do I know
                      yeah except that in the world of today we don't lock them up in ice cold bathtubs. maybe it was some "comfort" thing.

Comment

Cereal killers

Hello all,

I believe Kelloggs cornflakes were designed to prevent young men from masturbating. Perhaps he couldnīt afford them?
                        C4

Comment

He could afford them. Unfortunately he couldn't afford the milk.....

Comment

Random

A friend just sent this link round, curiously. Anyway, it seems pertinent - illustrating a 19th century view on the dangers and dire consequences of onanism...

http://http://dittrick.blogspot.com/...itre-1830.html

Comment

Masturbation can have a detrimental effect on an individual if it ends up with an individual relying on such practices instead of a healthy sexual relationship with another person (or heck even multiple persons).

The Victorian belief in the dangers of self abuse does have a kernel of truth behind it.

Comment

Working...
                              X