No announcement yet.

Did Aaron Kosminski wear a beard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before we all conclude that Kosminski was harmless, we ought to remember he was accused of threatening his sister with a knife.

Comment

Hi Pirate Jack and Jason,
      Its true there are two mentions of violent behaviour-one by Jacob Cohen and the other by Colney Hatch but in a thirty year period that is no indication whatsoever of a continuous predisposition to murderous behaviour.
      There is no record of him ever having had to be "restrained" [straightjacketed] and I believe there would have been ,if only from the point of view of the Health and Safety of other patients and the staff.
      Moreover his decline and deterioration into "burn out" appears to have begun just prior to transfer to Leavesdon in 1894 when he ceased to communicate sensibly with the psychiatric staff there.Its very clear from the notes that in between there were periods of lucidity and cooperation as indicated by his clean habits and dress and the answering of questions.From 1910 we get a very clear picture of what so called "BURN OUT" is all about when he is recorded as "incoherent' -nothing can be got by questions,dull and vacant 29.9.1911.
      But this is not a man with a record of violence by any means. The critical period to look at is between Feb 1891 and 1894 ie before his deterioration took a sharp downward turn and did indeed appear to lead to total "burn out"ie sometime during his stay in Leavesdon after the year 1894.
      Aaron before then was able, when he was willing to be, lucid and cooperative in speech.And once again at no time do we hear any untoward behaviour resulting in injury to himself or others or fear of attack by staff.
      This is just so unlikely to be what the Ripper would have been like during 30 years in an asylum.
      Moreover he did not die as Anderson claimed, soon after admission-thats assuming he was talking about Aaron Kosminski.And how come old Swanson writes those fly notes on the backof the Autobiography appearing to want to "confirm" he had died soon after admission?

If you think the inmate of Colney Hatch logged between 1891 and 1894 sounds like The Ripper,then its a whole lot different than how I would expect him to be.There isnt even a hint.

Natalie

Comment

It's worth remembering that as seemingly harmless and docile Ed Gein was during his incarceration, he was anything but those things prior to his capture. There's no rule that says violent serial killers must always be violent and crafty once they're captured.

Cheers,
        Ben

Comment

Hi Ben!

To be honest, Gein was exactly the seemingly harmless and docile guy before his incarceration too. He was considered everything but dangerous by the ones who knew him.
          Of course, he had another side to him. But the appearance of harmlessness was not something he aquired by going to jail - it was there all along. In fact, the description given of him is not very far off the mark if you want to compare him to Kosminsky. Quiet, backgroundish type of guy with a distinct dislike for soap and such, kinda weird, but nothing much to evoke suspicions of a killer.

The best,
          Fisherman
          Last edited by Fisherman; 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

It is interesting to note that there is apparently a 16 year gap in Aaron's case register at Leavesden. So there are no case notes on him at Leavesden between 1894 and 1910. It is in these notes where we would find descriptions of his behavior. Once the notes recommence in 1910, it is clear that Aaron is in a much reduced state.

Rob House

Comment

But the appearance of harmlessness was not something he aquired by going to jail - it was there all along.
              Indeed, Fisherman. The same may have been true of Kosminski or any of the other "caged in an asylum" suspect associated with the Whitechapel murders.

Best wishes,
              Ben

Comment

No psychological classification, as a rule, commits murder.

This is true but you could equally argue that: every murder fits into a classification.

Bloody paper work.....

Just a quick comment on Schizophrenic behavior. I realize it is difficult to draw comparisons today because of the modern drugs.

But as far as I'm aware Pater Sutcliff has been a model prisoner. Has never hurt or attacked anyone. Although he has shown no signs of burnout. Modern drugs make comparison difficult. And some have even questioned Sutcliffs Schizophrenia.

However as I understand each psychotic episode can be very different in the early stages of schizophrenia, each episode lasting two or three months.

They hit the suffer in waves. They have little control. Often being derrected by voices in the head.

Once removed into confinement they can become very different. And as I've stated repeatedly "schizophrenics are not dangerous".

My brother who works with schizophrenics regularly also pointed out that Alcohol can have a major impact on behavior.....its often associated with acts of extreme violence in psychotic episodes.

If Aaron were taking alcohol to treat the vioces in his head who knows what the out come could have been? As I've also said this crime is unique, there are not hundreds of Rippers running about.

The fact is that Kosminski's behaviour is completely constant with what my brother would expect after imprisonment. Especially if Aaron had been using Alcohol and that was denied to him.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                  And as I've stated repeatedly "schizophrenics are not dangerous"
                  Except the ones with beards.

Comment

On the other hand it is just the word of Robert Anderson and Swanson that identifies the Ripper as a certain Kosminski.Macnaghten while aware of who Kosminski was preferred Druitt.Every other policeman said it was not Kosminski.Most,like Dew and Abberline said nobody knew.
                    And since Kosminski may have been the City suspect I find it interesting to say the least that the most senior City Policeman at the time ,Major Henry Smith, who took charge of the Catherine Eddowes City murder, said the Ripper was not a Jew but a Gentile.And totally dismissed Anderson"s theory.
                    Best
                    Natalie

Comment

Personally I believe that Anderson was following Swanson's advice.

Kosminski is Swansons suspect.

The problem you have is this. Swanson was a policeman of impeccable character.

Swanson never tried to profit or benefit from his knowledge. We only have the evidence by chance, written in the margin of a book presumably for his own reference.

What good could have come from siting a jewish suspect as the Ripper..even today nutters on the web are prepared to manipulate such things to vilify a section of society...imagine the out cry it would have caused..

Perhaps it just became obvious to Swanson that nothing could be gained from revealing the Rippers identity and people might get hurt. Better to know he was safely under lock and key and out of harms way..

But that is just speculation..

My point being that Kosminski's behavior is completely consistent to what we would expect, if Kosminski was the Ripper and was lock up.

Was Kosminski broad shoulders man?..wasn't he drunk?

Fido's search for a more plausible and violent ripper intern, simply miss understood the nature of Schizophrenia and how someone suffering this 'ILLNESS' would behave once captured.

The fact that he was Jewish was irrelevant..however Swanson and Anderson were not politically naive they lived in an age when riots were a really fear.

The truth has simply stared everyone in the face all these years and even now you are not prepared to see what is staringly obvious..

Swanson new 'what done it'

and it wasn't the SUN twas the schizophrenic..Aaron. He may not be the most romantic suspect, but he's the best. Unless you believe the marginalia is a forgery..and I believe the Old grey hunter and I covered that at conference.

Pirate

Comment

Unless you believe the marginalia is a forgery..and I believe the Old grey hunter and I covered that at conference.

Pirate
                        Hi Jeff L.,

I remember Stewart covering it, yes, but I don't recall you being a presenter.

Dan Norder
                        Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                        Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Humble asker of audience question..and videographer. (VT coming Soon)

However I dont beleive that there is any serious suggestion that the Marginalia is a forgery..

It therefore remains the most important clue in ripper research today...

Pirate Jack

PS thought it wise to change my tag following some unfortunate photographs.

Comment

PS thought it wise to change my tag following some unfortunate photographs.
                            It might be wise to change it again, JeffL. As it is, I can't stop myself thinking of you as AP Wolf's anti-particle.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Trust a welshman to try and bring the romance down..

I've moved to Kent, I'm buying a boat called the 'Black Pearl' and living on the river....no more the East end smog!

I gather you guys have had a crash of some sought so changed my tag

I will post Jeff from now on..if that helps

Yours Jeff

Comment

Just a quick post for those of you who like statistics.

AS I claim the perception of the danger posed by schizophrenics is far greater than the reality.

However on very rare occasions they can be dangerous.

Usually there are other trigger factors, like alcohol or traumatic event or combination.

It still is not fully understood.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X