Jacob Cohen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Norma,

Thanks for the pics, they bring back memories as I used to work down that street many, many years ago.

Our office overlooked a garden at the rear, which I was told had once been a plague pit, and the cellars where said to be part of the old Blackfriars Monastry.

If you want more information on Carter Lane, or indeed, St. Anthony by the Wardrobe, try: www.ludgatecircus.com

Rgds
    John

Comment

A few more I took today of Carter Lane and its environs:

1]53 Carter Lane, in place Chris pointed out the corner of Addle Lane.As it was in 1888 -structurally.But number 51 Carter Lane which would have stood on the opposite corner has been demolished.These were Cohen"s premises but now covered in hoarding with brand new flats emerging.

2]people enjoying today"s sunshine in the garden"s of St Paul"s Cathedral.

Thanks John.I think I have a photo of the place you mean with the raised Church yard and will post it later if I find it.Its a fascinating area.I am going to post a couple more later of the area around Cannon Street-still very City Commuter -ish!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-08-2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

John,
        This is the site of the original Blackfriars and has the give away "raised ground" that indicates it was used as a surpluss burial ground for the thousands of Londoners who died from the plague- as you wrote.It also has a plaque saying so.
        Best
        Norma
        Attached Files

Comment

1]Post house in St Andrews Hill which crosses Carter Lane
          2]An old Pub in the area-The Bell
          3]The Bell
          4] Shop in Carter Lane like number 51 would have been
          Attached Files

Comment

I thought the photos so far have omitted the focus of the area-viz St Paul"s Cathedral itself----so here it is.But i understand dogs are not allowed in its gardens these days,muzzled or not.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the pics, however I think the street may have become smarter since I used to be there.

Nice to see the plague pit as well - loverley place to eat your sandwiches of a lunchtime!

Rgds
              John

Comment

Working...
              X