No announcement yet.

Kozminski's Brother (recovered thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golda's grave must be wrong, surely. If she was 101 in 1912 she would have been born c.1811. That would make her about 55 when Aaron was born!

There was a photograph of Aaron's grave on the last board. The headstone is no longer legible. We note though that the graves of Betsy, Golda and Morris which are of comparable date are still legible. Clearly Aaron's headstone is made of some cheap, inferior stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrotty Nell View Post
      Golda's grave must be wrong, surely. If she was 101 in 1912 she would have been born c.1811. That would make her about 55 when Aaron was born!
      Yes - Golda's age seems to have been progressively overestimated towards the end of her life. According to her death certificate she was 97. The Polish records would indicate she was born some time in the early 1820s. Aaron's birth registration states that she was 44.

Comment

Yes, Golda's age is estimated.. 101 years is certainly not right. Her age is given on the following documents:

Aged 23 at her marriage, 8 December 1844 (estimated birth 1820-1821)
        Aged 21 at birth of Pessa, 20 December 1845 (estimated birth 1823-1824)
        Aged 25 at birth of Hinde, November 1848 (estimated birth 1822-1823)
        Aged 28 at birth of Iciek, April/May 1851 (estimated birth 1822-1823)
        Aged 35 at birth of Blimber, July/August 1857 (estimated birth 1821-1822)
        Aged 44 at birth of Aron, 11 September 1865 (estimated birth 1820-1821)
        Aged 82 in 1901 census (estimated birth 1818-1819)
        Aged 97 on death certificate, 21 August 1912 (estimated birth 1814-1815)
        Age 101 years on her grave. 21 August, 1912 (estimated birth 1811)

From the above, it seems likely she was actually born around 1821. In any case she was pretty old when Aaron was born (she was around 44), and Aaron's oldest sister was 20 years older than he was.

Here are 2 photos I took of Aaron's grave (I posted these before, but here they are again). I made one black and white because I think it is somewhat easier to read. Paul Begg showed me a photo of the grave taken many years earlier, that is much easier to real. The inscription is practically illegible, but supposedly reads:

In Loving Memory of
        AARON KOZMINSKY
        WHO DIED 24TH MARCH 1919
        AGED [54?] YEARS
        DEEPLY MISSED BY
        HIS BROTHER, SISTERS, PEOPLE
        AND FRIENDS
        May his dear
        [soul rest in peace]

Also, here is a close up of the inscription on Isaac's grave.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to note that earlier in this thread, when the question of whether Woolf was Aaron's brother or not was still being debated, it was pointed out that 'brother' was missing from Isaac's mourners. But if you look at this close-up you can see that 'brother' has in fact been added in a faint Swanson-like afterthought presumably as a later correction of the stonemason's mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrotty Nell View Post
            Interesting to note that earlier in this thread, when the question of whether Woolf was Aaron's brother or not was still being debated, it was pointed out that 'brother' was missing from Isaac's mourners. But if you look at this close-up you can see that 'brother' has in fact been added in a faint Swanson-like afterthought presumably as a later correction of the stonemason's mistake.
            So it is. I must admit I missed that when I originally copied the inscription a couple of years ago, though it is pretty clear in Rob's photo.

Comment

I dont think I noticed that either. But I am not sure what it means, if anything. Here is an enlargement...

Rob H
              Attached Files

Comment

It's very odd. It would have made more sense to add an "and" before "brother," which the mason should have done free if it was his mistake. If the family forgot to include the brother in their instructions then of course it's different.

Comment

An interesting little snippet in an article by John Nathan entitled "Our burial grounds lack dignity", in the Jewish Chronicle of 14 November 2008. After bemoaning the lack of a sense of history at the modern cemetery at Bushey, he says this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cemeteries14Nov2008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	656915

Comment

At least it wasn't signed "Jack the Ripper."

Comment

Connoisseurs of tenuous links between Ripper suspects and other famous crimes may be amused by this one.

The photo of the Siege of Sidney Street (1911) accompanying Donald Rumbelow's review of Stephen Wade's "Square Mile Bobbies" in the current Ripperologist (copied below from another source, with another related view) shows Scots Guards outside the "Rising Sun" pub at 87 Sidney Street. The pub is on their left in both photos.

The tenuous connection is that between (at least) 1914 and 1920 the landlord of the "Rising Sun" was Nathaniel Phillips (no relation), the husband of Aaron Kozminski's niece Rachel, the daughter of his elder brother Isaac. Isaac himself lived there for a time soon after the death of his wife Bertha. But it appears that the family had no connection with the pub at the time of the siege.

Name:	SidneyStreet1.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	657169

Name:	SidneyStreet2.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	657168

Comment

Among the other members of the Lubnowski family who emigrated from Klodawa was Aaron's cousin, born David Lubnowski and later known as David Lubin. David was the son of Szymon Lubnowski, the brother of Aaron's mother Golda, and his wife Raca (or Rachel) Holtz. He emigrated to America as a small child, and in 1908 founded the International Institute of Agriculture, the predecessor body of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN.

I was interested to find that "David Lubin: a study in practical idealism" by Olivia Rossetti Agresti (1922) is available at the Internet Archive:

This includes a photograph of David Lubin and a brief account of his childhood (copied below). In fact he seems to have been born in 1848, not 1849, and the register of births at Klodawa records only five children, not six (though there is agreement that only three survived). The register of deaths records that of David's father Szymon on 25 December 1849. (The Pinchus referred to in the anecdote must have been David's maternal grandfather, as his paternal grandfather was called Wolek Lubnowski.)

Name:	DavidLubinDetail.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	657183

Name:	DavidLubinP15.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	657184

Name:	DavidLubinP16.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	657185

Name:	DavidLubinP17.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	657186

Comment

And he wrote a novel about a working-men's club ("Let There Be LIght").

Comment

He left c $600,000 in 1919. No mention of English beneficiaries.

Comment

Thank you.

His novel is also available online:

Judging from his New York Times obituary, he was a victim of the flu pandemic of 1919, and died just under three months before Aaron.

As far as I can tell from the Polish, his date of birth was actually 25 May 1848 (Gregorian).

Comment

I'll take your word for it, Chris. There is a tree for him on Ancestry, giving birth year 1849, but it doesn't mention day or month so may well be an estimate.

Comment

Working...
                                X