Jack the Ripper At Last? by Helena Wojtczak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    Well I DO suggest two more Ripper suspects that nobody seems to have suggested before, but not in a zealous way.

But what I really meant was, sometimes on this board people seem to be assuming that the Ripper MUST have been someone who was described by an eyewitness. They seem to forget that the Ripper may well not have been seen by anyone who gave a description to the police.

Helena
    I understand. We get so wrapped up in what little information we do have we try to make choices based only upon surviving information and we forget that much has been lost over the years. Or perhaps was never presented to the authorities in the first place.

Are you willing to share your other "new" suspects? or is that perhaps another book?

Velma

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
      I understand. We get so wrapped up in what little information we do have we try to make choices based only upon surviving information and we forget that much has been lost over the years. Or perhaps was never presented to the authorities in the first place.

Are you willing to share your other "new" suspects? or is that perhaps another book?

Velma
      Yes that is exactly what I think happens, Velma.

My new suspects are named in my book, which has only just been published and most people on here haven't received their copy yet... don't want to spoil it for them!

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I think happens, Velma.

My new suspects are named in my book, which has only just been published and most people on here haven't received their copy yet... don't want to spoil it for them!

Helena
        Hi, Helena,
        Congratulations on your new book. When I asked, I suspected that might be the case.

Sure can't blame you for taking care of your readers.

Velma

Comment

Hi, Helena,
          Congratulations on your new book. When I asked, I suspected that might be the case. Sure can't blame you for taking care of your readers.
          Velma
          Thank you Velma!

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

...We get so wrapped up in what little information we do have we try to make choices based only upon surviving information and we forget that much has been lost over the years. Or perhaps was never presented to the authorities in the first place.
            Rightly so.
            We have debates centered on the testimonies offered through the Coroner's Inquest, as if these represent the totality of what was known.
            On the contrary, what we learn from the Inquest is only a portion of what the police knew.
            Remember, the press discovered that there had been 53 witness statements describing suspicious men whom are thought to have been involved in the Kelly murder.
            How many of those 53 were spoken of at the Inquest?, only two - Blotchy and the 'Britannia-man'.
            We are only able to view this case through the eye of a needle.

The police knew so much more than we can ever hope to imagine.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hey Jon, have you received your copy yet?

Comment

Hey Jon, have you received your copy yet?
                Have you mailed it?
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Have you mailed it?
                  Hi Jon

Yes I am entirely up to date with the book mailings (except for the two orders that arrived today) so yours must be in the post.

Many thanks

Helena

Comment

Hi Jon

Yes I am entirely up to date with the book mailings (except for the two orders that arrived today) so yours must be in the post.

Many thanks

Helena
                    Much appreciated Helena.
                    I have an awful habit of pre-ordering books then forgetting about it until they show up in the mail box.

I'll keep an eye open for it
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• TARQUIN FINGERS GEORGE R SIMS AS JACK THE RIPPER

Comment

• BOOK REVIEW BY MIKE COVELL, JUST PUBLISHED ON HIS BLOG AT

=========================================

George Chapman, the notorious "Southwark Poisoner" has deserved a decent book about his life and crimes for years, if not for him, but for the victims he killed and the trail of destruction he left behind. There are other Chapman books on the market, but what sets this one apart is the attention to detail and dissection of every aspect of Chapman's life, crimes, and representation in the media. It doesn't regurgitate the old myths surrounding him either, it takes these and demolishes them.

The book is split into six sections, covering topics such as his life, crimes, investigation and execution, motive, myths, and whether or not he was, or even deserved to be called "Jack the Ripper." Furthermore, each part is split even further into decent bite size chunks for the reader to dip into and devour.

What I found most interesting about the book is the way Chapman is presented. He is not given to us as a continent hopping multiple murderer, but instead as a man who worked his way through life, encountering women, poison, and the ultimately the noose.
                        The chapter regarding the stories and myths surrounding his life was fascinating, and I was amazed at the number of stories and myths surrounding him, stories that seem to be commonly accepted facts. Helena takes these stories and shows them to be falsehoods by placing them alongside contemporary historical sources.

The chapter regarding his candidacy as "Jack the Ripper" appealed to me most, being a Ripperologist, and I was fascinated by the 15 points set out against Chapman as Ripper. Helena takes these points and discusses them against contemporary historical sources, presenting a fair and balanced argument for her theories.

The overall presentation of the book is outstanding,(hardback edition) from its sleek design, photographic glossy paper, and lavish silk page mark. It is also well researched, well presented, and thoroughly referenced throughout.

The book will appeal to those with an interest in true crime, criminal history, and anyone, like me, with an interest in "Jack the Ripper."

Comment

• A friend of mine is a descendant of Sir William Gull and he has told me that the family is highly un-amused by the repeated attempts at connecting Gull to the Ripper murders. He has become something of a Ripperologist himself in response to the accusations. I'd imagine that for most people it would be troubling to find that you were related to/descended from such a notorious figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
                            A friend of mine is a descendant of Sir William Gull and he has told me that the family is highly un-amused by the repeated attempts at connecting Gull to the Ripper murders. He has become something of a Ripperologist himself in response to the accusations. I'd imagine that for most people it would be troubling to find that you were related to/descended from such a notorious figure.
                            Well, I can understand the family not being amused about that, especially if there is little foundation for connecting Gull to the Ripper murders. The point I'm making is that, should the Ripper case ever be solved, then there is bound to be descendants of him, and should they ever be discovered it will be sad if they allowed it to have a devastating affect on them. After all, logically, they were always, unknowingly, connected to him.
                            It is a good thing that this is all very unlikely to happen as it seems most people would be troubled and even horrified to be connected to such an evil, notorious person.

Comment

• Helena,
                              What an excellent review from Mike Covell. Congratulations!
                              My books arrived today, and my first impressions,I have to say, is the design is beautiful and they look wonderful! I can't wait to read mine, and once I have, I shall be putting my own review on Amazon.
                              Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
                                e it would be troubling to find that you were related to/descended from such a notorious figure.
                                I totally agree with you and Amanda. I'd hate to find out I was a descendent of Jack the Ripper (which IS possible, by the way, as I do have male ancestors living in the right place at the right time). No amount of money from the media for selling my story would ever make me feel better about it.

Amanda Many thanks for your impressions so far. I am looking forward to your Amazon review and hope the book lives up to your expectations!

Helena

Comment

Working...
                                X