sugden's hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sugden's hints

Not being very net savy I was wondering 1. if anyone the character of Sugden's information was. He says," a wealth of Chapman material still does exist- in the records of Southwark coroners court, the central criminal court,the home office, and elsewhere..." (Sugden 1994, P.441) 2. If no one knows could someone post a link to the place I need to be? I would likely end up online banking in the Cayman Islands if left entirely to my own resources. Thank you all for the patience and help, Respectfully
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Hi Dave,

Much of the Central Criminal Court information - in the form of the trial records - is available at oldbaileyonline.org, a link to which you've already had. The Old Bailey records are quite detailed, but it helps to have the Coroner's Court records as well - they are reproduced in HL Adam's (old and comparatively scarce) book Trial of George Chapman, which has already been referred to on a few occasions. The latter book also contains transcripts of the Police Court proceedings.

Most of the relevant information from the above has been used in various books and essays over the years anyway, Sugden included. Apart from some nuances and various minutiae about the case, I doubt that there's anything earth-shattering to be learned about Klosowski himself that hasn't been published elsewhere.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Hi Dave,

Much of the Central Criminal Court information - in the form of the trial records - is available at oldbaileyonline.org, a link to which you've already had. The Old Bailey records are quite detailed, but it helps to have the Coroner's Court records as well - they are reproduced in HL Adam's (old and comparatively scarce) book Trial of George Chapman, which has already been referred to on a few occasions. The latter book also contains transcripts of the Police Court proceedings.

Most of the relevant information from the above has been used in various books and essays over the years anyway, Sugden included. Apart from some nuances and various minutiae about the case, I doubt that there's anything earth-shattering to be learned about Klosowski himself that hasn't been published elsewhere.
      Once again a great help, my old bailey searches are not even returning our guy. I know, I am doing it wrong, I'll keep at it. Need the practise anyhow. Warm regards

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
        Once again a great help, my old bailey searches are not even returning our guy. I know, I am doing it wrong, I'll keep at it. Need the practise anyhow. Warm regards
        Dave, clicking this link will take you right there. I'd advise you to use the "See Original" option (click on thumbnails at right of page) wherever possible - the web page transcriptions sometimes have typos in them.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

George Chapman

The definitive book on Severin Klosowski (alias George Chapman) has yet to be written. There is a large amount of material on him at TNA, the below prison petition being an example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chapman1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	655837
          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Dave, clicking this link will take you right there. I'd advise you to use the "See Original" option (click on thumbnails at right of page) wherever possible - the web page transcriptions sometimes have typos in them.
            Thank youvery much. What is TNA that Stewart refers to, and do you Skype?

Comment

Hi Stewart,
              Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
              The definitive book on Severin Klosowski (alias George Chapman) has yet to be written.
              I agree - it deserves to be, though. A no-nonsense account, that is, stripped of the usual "he-dunnit" Ripper veneer.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Illustrative Material

There's quite a lot of illustrative material available too -

Name:	chapman2.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	655838
                SPE

Comment

Newspaper Articles

And loads of obscure newspaper articles such as this one in one of my scrapbooks -

Name:	chapman3.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	655839
                  SPE

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                    Thank youvery much. What is TNA that Stewart refers to?
                    The (UK) National Archives, formerly the Public Records Office.

We are a non-ministerial department, and the official archive and publisher for the UK Government, and for England and Wales.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The (UK) National Archives, formerly the Public Records Office.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
                      Thanks again. warm regards

Comment

Working...
                      X