JTR identified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR identified?

Abberline received this walking stick as a retirement present in 1892. Which means...

Comment

I quote from the article:

“For the first time in history, Jack the Ripper can be identified as Hyam Hyams using distinctive physical characteristics,” Horton told The Telegraph regarding her theory. Reviewing medical notes for Hyams, Horton found that he had “an irregular gait and an inability to straighten his knees, with asymmetric foot-dragging.” Eyewitnesses in the Jack the Ripper investigation noted that the infamous killer also had an irregular gait.

Quite.

Comment

"This walking stick is significant because Abberline had carved into the cane the only existing composite image ever made of JTR, based on witness testimony."

- The face on that cane really does match most of the witness descriptions, especially those which reported a man who looked remarkably like Fu Manchu without the long, droopy moustache:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abberline's Cane.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	829326

"Eyewitnesses in the Jack the Ripper investigation noted that the infamous killer also had an irregular gait."

- True. Even the suspects seen with Annie Chapman and Catherine Eddowes stood with a distinct limp.

"Horton says she has identified cigar maker Hyam Hyams as the real man behind JTR... Hyams’ profession likely means he was proficient with a knife​"

- This was the clincher for me. Anyone who has cut a tobacco leaf, or trimmed the end off a Havana, will know how much skill is required.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I think, natural skepticism aside, that this is an interesting character in the whole scheme of things. "Hyam Hyams was a Jew, aged 33, of medium build, 5 feet 7 inches tall, with brown hair and - in a photograph of him taken c.1893-99 - sported a large moustache." So he does fit the general physical profile. There is also a good dissertation on him here... https://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-hyams.html , it seems he was possibly related to Joseph Hyams who was one of the Three Wise Men that saw Kate outside Mitre Square. Seaside ID...Relative that refused to identify him? Institutionalized in Colney Hatch in 1890....seems his uncle used to have a cigar manufacturing business as early as 1861 at 8 Mitre Street, and it was just outside a window to that address that Kate was found in the square. That address is occupied by Taylor and Co at the time of the murders.

Some synchronicity. But as for Abberlines cane, wasnt that a gift from the residents of Whitechapel upon his promotion to Scotland Yard? Would he carve a face into that himself?

Comment

The cane given some Ai treatment.
            JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
            JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
            ---------------------------------------------------
            JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
            ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
              I quote from the article:

“For the first time in history, Jack the Ripper can be identified as Hyam Hyams using distinctive physical characteristics,” Horton told The Telegraph regarding her theory. Reviewing medical notes for Hyams, Horton found that he had “an irregular gait and an inability to straighten his knees, with asymmetric foot-dragging.” Eyewitnesses in the Jack the Ripper investigation noted that the infamous killer also had an irregular gait.

Quite.

Wentworth Bellsmith also had an irregular gait.

Comment

So who exactly would these "eye witnesses" be?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  So who exactly would these "eye witnesses" be?

c.d.
                  I've always wondered that too. I don't think that it would be Elizabeth Long, Israel Schwartz, Joseph Lawende, or George Hutchinson.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                    ...... Eyewitnesses in the Jack the Ripper investigation noted that the infamous killer also had an irregular gait.

I might offer a suggestion, rather than it be the "infamous killer", the statement should have read "suspect".

Many years ago I listed a couple of persons who were seen close to the site of a murder, that have been described by witnesses as walking with an unusual gait. I suspect the poster was referring to those same posts.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

There is one particular man who not only walked with a distinctive gait...
                      ...but also murdered and dismembered his wife before burying her under the floor.

And no; i am not talking about Bury.

The man I am referring to was never arrested or caught and was only found out to be a murderer after his wife's body was found many years later.

There was an extensive police search for him, but by that time he was in the wind.

However, I have managed to trace his life after that time and have found some interesting data about him and IMO IF there's a link to be made between both sets of murders; Ripper and Torso killings; then he is a prime person of interest.

Im choosing not to say too much at this point, because the individual to whom I'm referring, is about to be named in an upcoming book, and out of respect for the author I will refrain to step on their toes.

This person of interest has never been spoken of before in context with the Ripper murders; but has been discussed briefly in conjunction with the torso killings.

I am waiting in anticipation to see what direction the book will go because the individual writing it, is one of the best and most accomplished esearchers.

If the Bethnal Green botherer was the Ripper; then the man soon to be named in the book is potentially a game changer for the case as a whole.

But awkward gaits were more common than we may think.

I have just identified a document relating to John Mccarthy, in which it states that he had "deformed feet" (check it out on Forums)

That by itself doesn't mean he walked with a gait; but it does prove that there are so many specific details about individuals connected with the Ripper case that we still know very little about even after all this time.

RD
                      Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 09-12-2024, 07:01 AM.
                      "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

If the ripper had been caught walking with an awkward gait, I wonder how many fences he would have asked to be taken into consideration?

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Lloyds Weekly News, 9 Sept. 1888.

John Thimbleby, coppersmith in Hanbury's brewery, went to the Commercial-street-station at one o'clock yesterday to say that at six o'clock that morning a man attracted his particular attention before he heard of the murder. He was hurrying from Hanbury-street, below where the murder took place, into Brick-lane. He was walking, almost running, and had a peculiar gait, his knees not bending when he walked.

Sunday Times, 11 Nov. 1888.

...Some say he wore a high silk hat and brown overcoat; others that he was habited in dark mixture trousers, long, dark overcoat, and low-crowned, brown hat, and that he carried the now famous shiny, black bag in his hand. In stature he is variously described as of medium height and slight, short and thick set, and of awkward gait. Nearly all the accounts agree, however, as to his wearing a black moustache and having a very remarkable and unpleasant glare in his eyes.

Evening News, 10 Nov. 1888.

The man is described by Mrs. Kennedy as having on a pair of dark mixture trousers and a long dark overcoat. He wore a low crowned brown hat and carried a shiny black bag in his hand. Further, it was stated that he was a man of medium stature, with dark moustache, and that he had an extremely awkward gait, which could at once be recognised.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
                            ....This person of interest has never been spoken of before in context with the Ripper murders; but has been discussed briefly in conjunction with the torso killings.
                            What a very Perrieesque post that was, awesome sir, awesome

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                              If the ripper had been caught walking with an awkward gait, I wonder how many fences he would have asked to be taken into consideration?

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Perhaps just the one adjoining 29 Hanbury Street?
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X