Jack the Ripper's identity 'revealed' by newly discovered medical records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper's identity 'revealed' by newly discovered medical records

A former police volunteer claims to have discovered the identity of the figure behind some of the most shocking crimes in British history, unmasking the 19th-century murderer who terrorised the nation as Jack the Ripper.

Presented for your approval/disapproval. I'm hoping the medical records in question will be published at some point.

I considered Hyams a viable suspect (though not one of the top tier of suspects) prior to this, but there's nothing new here that would cause me to suspect him more than I did before. It looks to me that the main thing here that's new is the idea of his irregular gait, etc., matching witness descriptions, but when I think of the various witnesses - Long, Schwartz, Lawende, Cox, Hutchinson - I don't think this really matches any of their descriptions.

Comment

Having a stiff arm and an irregular gait doesn't match any witness sighting I am aware of. And a stiff arm would make it more difficult to grab and subdue a victim. If this is a correct description of Hyam's physical condition, then it makes him less likely to have been the Ripper.
      "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

I'm nowhere near being a 'Ripperologist'', more of an interested bystander, but I agree with the two post immediately above. If the Ripper strangled his victims before using the knife, it would seem that a broken arm and its after-effects would have hampered him somewhat. I too am keen to see if there are any new medical records on H Hyams in this new book, or if it's just hype.

Comment

I would say that the most interesting fact here is that Paul Begg endorsed the book. That's about as good an endorsement as a book can receive. It may well be that the book is more worthwhile than what I would think based on this article.

Comment

My copy of this is due to arrive today……if I trust Royal Mail…….which I don’t.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
            X