"In the character of a groom out of work"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    As Topping died in the late 1930s it is obvious to say I never heard Topping talk, all I can vouch for is a much discussed radio broadcast, and someone claiming to be his son, many years prior to his involvement with Fairclough.
    As the broadcast remarked precisely what Reg informed the author[ Fairclough] I am suggesting that it was most likely that same gentleman speaking on radio, or someone speaking on his behalf.
    Please can you comment on why you believe that Reg was not a reliable person, I find no proof to suggest that.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard

I've been told that Reg has been in touch with several authors, and that none of them were favourably impressed by his story.
      Then he allowed Fairclough to use the so-called reminiscences of his father as evidence of his crazy royal theory.
      And lastly even Fairclough abandonned his theory, and therefore Reg's story.
      You see, I guess people such as Don Rumbelow or SPE would have been pleased to add the account of Hutchinson's son to their research.
      But he worked with Fairclough, only with Fairclough.
      What does the radio broadcast prove ?
      That Reg was not reluctant to talk - only reluctant to talk to serious researchers.

Cheers

Comment

Hi DVD,
        The only author as far as I personally know, apart from Fairclough was Ivor Edwards. and it was they who approached Reg.
        As for Fairclough abandoning his theory, and seems reluctant to discuss it, you are correct, however that book was released in 1992, some 21 years ago. and people move on,you can ask all the past authors on this subject, if they still have the same thoughts today as when they wrote their book, and what would the answer be?
        It should be remembered that Reg Hutchinson was not versed in this subject, he was only aware[ Like his younger brother] that his father was the last person to see Mary Kelly alive, and relayed that to anybody who was intrested.
        As for serious researchers.
        I would say that Reg would have been only to pleased to have talked to anyone but he had many doubters in his tale, and that left him disheartened .
        The fact is to him, it was no big deal that his father may have known a victim of the Ripper, he was not into the subject, unlike all of us on Casebook, and forums.
        As for Don R, and SPE, I would hazard a bet, that they would have been of the attitude , prove it....and that is not easy to achieve after the years have gone, and only oral history remains.
        Regards Richard.

Comment

Richard,

I've always found extremely odd that Reg had in fact almost nothing to say, and that he didn't deny the Churchill stuff - had it been only for the sake of his "down-to-eart" father's credibility.
          If I were Toppy, I would have never forgotten the vision of MJK at the mortuary, and would have told my son how shocking a sight it had been.
          But nothing of the sort had leaked out.
          Also, Reg would have asked his father about the suspect's appearance - which Hutch remembered so precisely. But again, we find nothing about that in his story. At least, Reg would have known the suspect was Jewish according to his father's opinion. Apparently he even didn't know that.

Strange, is it not ?

Cheers

Comment

Hi,
            Again with Respect to Reg, he was very naive , and just recalled basic memories which he stated on
            a]Radio
            b] The Ripper and the Royals.
            I am sure that Topping referred to many aspects that Reg did no pay heed to, and being naive on the subject he went along with the author of the said book on his Churchill theory .
            We should not forget that Topping actually allegedly recalled, that the man looked someone like Lord Randolph, someone up the ladder of society, and I am sure that Hutchinson[ Topping] recalled that in conversation, but remember it was only a resemblance not the person[ at least one assumes].
            We will have to agree to disagree ,on this one my friend, for its non proven either way.
            Regards Richard.

Comment

I know we'll never agree on this, Richard, but I have to point out that in all probability, there were at least two things that Reg would have known and remembered :

1 : That the suspect was Jewish
              2 : That he (Topping) had to identify MJK at the mortuary

As for Lord Randolph's moustache, I've seen it was curled up each end, but it wasn't a slight one.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X