X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Ah, thankyou for that.

I was using Sheldon and the paragraph began:
    "Sometime between October 1886 and April 1888, Maywood moved his family out of No.1 Breezers Hill to 94 Cornwall street". - I can't read the page number.

(I had to salvage the book with screen-shots of each page from an Ipad, as the kindle would not load on my main computer)

Two screens before that a paragraph begins with:
    "From 1883 to 1887 a couple called Stephen and Mary Millwood lived at No.1 Breezers Hill".

So yes Gary, you could be right.

The Cornwall Street address is very intriguing. There seems to have been some to-ing and fro-ing between the folks in Breezers Hill/Pennington Street and Cornwall Street and nearby Station Place which was the domain of a notorious family of brothel-keepers named Nodding or Noding.

It’s quite an involved story, but one interesting factoid is that it seems that Maria Harvey may also have been connected to them.

Did Shelden say Maywood’s wife’s name was Mary? It was Sarah Mack/MacNamara.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I find Maywood a very interesting character. Among other things, he was a horse dealer and he came from Essex not far from Romford.

https://jtrforums.com/showthread.php...hlight=Maywood

Personally, I’m not convinced that Kelly actually lived in Breezer’s Hill itself.

Gary
      Hi Gary.
      I'm intrigued. Can I ask what makes you doubt Kelly lived in Breezers Hill, or do you mean she lived close by?
      Incidentally, thankyou for the link.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Gary.
        I'm intrigued. Can I ask what makes you doubt Kelly lived in Breezers Hill, or do you mean she lived close by?
        Incidentally, thankyou for the link.
        Hi Jon,

It seems most likely that she lived at 79, Pennington Street, on the corner with Breezer’s Hill. That had once been the Old Red Lion pub and some maps show it and 1, BH as the same building. The address of the pub was occasionally given as BH, but that was when 1,BH and 79, PS were joined. By the time Kelly was living there, they were two distinct addresses again.

There is no evidence that the John and Mary McCarthy living at 1, BH in 1891 were there in 1885/6. In fact they didn’t marry until 1887. But there was a Mary Ann McCarthy living at 79, PS in 1887. She married a man named Woodhouse and the Woodhouses and Maywoods turned up in the same street in Limehouse a few years later, a few yards away from ‘Morganstone’ and ‘Buki’ from 79, PS. And when Maywood moved on from Limehouse, the Noddings from Station Place/Cornwall Street moved in.
        Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-30-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Yes Caz, and it is highly unlikely the police would still be investigating his story on the 19th, a full seven days after the interview, if they had found him out to have lied about anything.
          It would only take them hours to check the relevant parts of his story.
          But the police had two options tell the press his story was made up, or even if they believed it was false they had no choice other than to run with it because they had nothing to go on with the murders up until that time. so anything was better than nothing for the benefit of the press and the public.

Comment

Deleted
            Last edited by Wickerman; 07-31-2020, 02:43 AM.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

But the police had two options tell the press his story was made up, or even if they believed it was false they had no choice other than to run with it because they had nothing to go on with the murders up until that time. so anything was better than nothing for the benefit of the press and the public.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
              Trevor.
              The police are not in business to ingratiate the public, or the press.
              I can't believe you are saying the police will waste time on a story, just to save face.
              Thats just totally untrue and I suspect you know it.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

If they believed Hutch's story, which they appear to have done for a while anyway, then his role in this is as Marys friend...looking out for her. If they eventually suspected his story was false, which to me words like "discredited" indicates, then he is not off the hook. He is still there, not provably in Marys best interest. He is the man that pulled a Pardon offer for Accomplices from the highest ranks within the police. At the very least he becomes a stalker, he could also be seen as an accomplice to her murder.

Its curious that he is not discussed in later crimes, or used as a witness in an id, and also that they didnt take a hard look at this man and try and get hard evidence to support his story. I dont recall seeing anything that might have come from such an investigation. He should have become a Person of Interest in the Kelly murder. Yet nobody mentions him in that way. Curious.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                  If they believed Hutch's story, which they appear to have done for a while anyway, then his role in this is as Marys friend...looking out for her. If they eventually suspected his story was false, which to me words like "discredited" indicates, then he is not off the hook.
                  As the 'discredited' story did not come from an official source, but the Star newspaper published on the 15th, how is it in your view that the subsequent newspaper report on the 19th, where the police continue to investigate, didn't 'discredit' the Star report?
                  Clearly, Hutchinson's story was not discredited, yet you stick to this 'discredited' Star report - that is a mystery in itself.
                  It's been proven wrong, yet you blindly continue to repeat it.

He is still there, not provably in Marys best interest. He is the man that pulled a Pardon offer for Accomplices from the highest ranks within the police. At the very least he becomes a stalker, he could also be seen as an accomplice to her murder.
                  But again, that is only an interpretation you prefer to believe, without any supporting evidence.

Its curious that he is not discussed in later crimes, or used as a witness in an id, and also that they didnt take a hard look at this man and try and get hard evidence to support his story.
                  Right, there are lots of curious issues in this entire case, but all of them result from a lack of information - missing police files. We don't know what the police eventually found.

I dont recall seeing anything that might have come from such an investigation. He should have become a Person of Interest in the Kelly murder. Yet nobody mentions him in that way. Curious.
                  Right, and one of those solutions is, that the police confirmed Kennedy's story that Kelly left her room about 3:00am, thereby taking the pressure off Hutchinson. Leaving the police with no leads, just a vague description of the man outside the Britannia.
                  So, isn't that the simplest solution?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                  X