Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody offer anything to this theory of a possible George Hutchinson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody offer anything to this theory of a possible George Hutchinson?

Luke Hartley Hutchinson 1823–1896 Birth 1823 • Walton, Yorkshire, England Death APRIL 1896 • Oxford, Oxfordshire

1845. (Ldn Marr & Banns) A Luke Hutchinson (father Richard) married an Eliza Louisa Knight in Poplar London Children were:-

Henry Richard Frederick born 1846 Dec Qtr Stepney (Died age 5) (Mum Knight)
    Twin Anna Maria Mar 1848 (Died very young)
    Alice Louisa born Mar 1848 Wakefield (mum called Whentrop Knight)
    George born 1852 Lambeth. (Mum Knight)

April 1851 Alice Louisa and Anna Maria were baptised All saints Manchester (Twins?) Alice was born in Wakefield. Near where father Luke appears to have come from. Cant find Anna Maria, seems she died young.

Dec 10th 1856 a George Hutchinson was brought into St Georges by Ann Hare of Gun Street (Blackfriars) being abandoned by parents. Father not heard of for 4 years and mother gone to America (think it says she had a deformed back ?) seamstress

I found Georges birth on GRO in 1852 and it does look like Luke and Elizas son mothers name given as Knight

A Luke Hutchinson did go to Michigan America Not seen in earlier UK census. He is living in Oxfordshire in later census with another family 1st child born Michigan in 1858.

Dec 13th 1856 George Hutchinson discharged from St Georges Workhouse

Mint street to go to Mitcham Industrial school in Sutton Surrey (aged 10 ?)

1861 census George is in District Lambeth Workhouse Industrial School and his mother Eliza Louisa Hutchinson is a servant born Manchester in Islington and said to be a widow.

Alice is a servant aged 13 born N Yorkshire in Thames Ditton, Surrey.

1871 census 247 Waterloo Road

Eliza Hutchinson 43 Married born manchester Needlewoman
    Alice born 1849 Wakefield Yorks machinist
    George born 1853 Lambeth Telegraph messenger

1872 Alice Louisa Hutchinson marries Arthur Taylor a gemsmith in Lambeth (Georges signature on marriage and banns)

1881 census Mother Eliza Louisa Hutchinson a nurse in Poplar (widow) born Manchester. Cant find George.

1885 George Hutchinson aged 30 Saint George´s Workhouse, Mint Street Register of Vagrants, Groom.... Spent last night walking about. Going to London

1888 Former Groom George Hutchinson outside Mary Kellys room saw man go in with her. Had spent the night walking from Romford

I have not found George in the 1881 census yet any ideas? I did wonder about the one in America that was put in an asylum. Did he copy his dad and go to America ?

Although I am not even sure this is the George Hutchinson its a theory I would love someone to pick it to bits , as I am stuck.

Pat.................

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I have not found George in the 1881 census yet any ideas? I did wonder about the one in America that was put in an asylum. Did he copy his dad and go to America ?
    Hi Pat

I'm a little confused and not sure what you mean by 'the one in American that was put in an asylum,' but if you mean the 'George Hutchinson' who supposedly escaped from the Kankakee Mental Hospital (reported in The Star and other newspapers in November 1888), this was a canard, and the inmate's actual name was William "Billy" Hutchinson. This Billy Hutchinson murdered a 'fallen woman' named Kittie Hall in Chicago in June 1885 and later escaped from Kankakee. The press wrongly called him George, thinking it might be the Miller's Court witness.

See Simon's Post #2 on the thread below for this "Billy" Hutchinson, if you haven't already seen it.

Other than that, the information you post looks interesting. Cheers.

Comment

Ah Thanks for that info, yes I did wonder about that one so he's out then. I just cant find George in this 1881 census. Thanks Pat...

Comment

Hi Pat

On the 1852 baptism, George's parents' surname is given as Hutchinson-Wilson, which is odd.

Anyway, there's a possible marriage for George in 1876, to Annie Springett. George is full age, a letter carrier (not far from a Telegraph messenger) and his dad is Luke who is a decorator (your Luke was a painter).

In 1881 the couple are at 89 Estcourt Rd, Fulham. George is 25, a house painter and born Surrey. There is one daughter.

In 1891, the couple are in Windlesham, Surrey with 4 children.

I seem to remember Bob Hinton used to muse about Estcourt. Was it the name of Abberline's house?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi Pat

On the 1852 baptism, George's parents' surname is given as Hutchinson-Wilson, which is odd.

Anyway, there's a possible marriage for George in 1876, to Annie Springett. George is full age, a letter carrier (not far from a Telegraph messenger) and his dad is Luke who is a decorator (your Luke was a painter).

In 1881 the couple are at 89 Estcourt Rd, Fulham. George is 25, a house painter and born Surrey. There is one daughter.

In 1891, the couple are in Windlesham, Surrey with 4 children.

I seem to remember Bob Hinton used to muse about Estcourt. Was it the name of Abberline's house?
          Hi Rob,

Yes, I believe Estcourt was the name of Abberline’s house in Bournemouth.

The Springett surname is interesting. I’ve seen it recently in connection with Spitalfields and it struck a chord then because of a Nelly Springett who was connected to the Maywoods. All just coincidence, maybe, but if Hutchinson (the groom) knew Mary when she was in Pennington Street while Maywood (the horse dealer) was running the brothel next door - who knows?

I bet Pat’s heart skipped a beat when he scrolled across the 1885 workhouse record and saw the person on the line below was en route to Romford.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary. If I see anything, I'll Springett on you.

Comment

Thanks for the info . I found an Annie Hutchinson (father George) went to Maidston street school in Hackney in 1889 born 24.2.77. Her previous school was Woodbury down. I found the Springett daughter born Marylebone on GRO, birth date December 1876 .Pat

Comment

Here is George Hutchinsons signature at his sisters wedding. Click image for larger version

Name:	George Hutchinson signature at sisters wedding.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	734642

Comment

Working...
                X