Innocent, By George!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innocent, By George!

How did George Hutchinson ever become such a popular suspect?. Does anyone believe,as i do, that George is completly innocent of any part in Mary Kelly's murder,or any other named victim of ' Jack the Ripper '. Some suspects are howlers, but Hutchinson actually played a supporting role in that drama and this fact alone really seems to convince some people that he is a viable suspect which other people really buy. So far no real evidence exists against anyone, and the circumstantial evidence has been stretched to the point of transparency in the need to find an answer. But we can do better than George Hutchinson surely?.
    SCORPIO

Hey Scorpio,

Unfortunately for Hutchinson, he placed himself not only in the position of being the last one to see Mary alive, but by his own admission, also knew her personally and then followed her and the stranger home! I've never seen any real reason to discount Hutch's testimony personally and can't understand why anyone would think he would place himself in such a position unless he was telling the truth, it's just that he is a convenient suspect.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

I can't see why he's such a popular suspect either. But, pretty soon, people will come by here to say why they're convinced he's the guy. And, really, we don't need yet another Hutchinson-dun-it thread. Really.

Comment

From Hell - The Jack the Ripper Mystery

Scorpio,

Have you read the above book? If not may I suggest you do so as it will answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          I can't see why he's such a popular suspect either. But, pretty soon, people will come by here to say why they're convinced he's the guy. And, really, we don't need yet another Hutchinson-dun-it thread. Really.
          I dont think we need another Hutchinson-dun-it thread either. Hopefully they will look at this one first and think again!.
          SCORPIO

Comment

..or else I suggest that they read the 'Did hutchinson get the day wrong..'
            thread..
            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
              I dont think we need another Hutchinson-dun-it thread either. Hopefully they will look at this one first and think again!.
              Scorp,

THEY have ceased to think. They have gone into a sort of stasis and only pop out with redundant refutations. Don't stir them from their slumber.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                ..or else I suggest that they read the 'Did hutchinson get the day wrong..'
                thread..
                Maybe i should have called this thread ' Did Hutchinson get the day right, and not kill anyone, either '.
                SCORPIO

Comment

Scorpio,

I think you'll find that very few threads have been started by people arguing explicitly in favour of George Hutchinson having been the ripper. Garry Wroe, Bob Hinton and others have already made what strikes me as very compelling cases in that regard. What happens more often on the boards is that Poster A makes an objection to the idea and Poster B responds by telling Poster A that his was a numpty objection, whatever the truth of Hutchinson's involvement. Poster A defends it, and Poster B again stresses Poster A's numpticism in making that objection. This happens everywhere, but for some reason, it tends to spiral out of control on Hutchinson threads. Whether this is due to the personalities of the participants or because Hutchinson is one of the best of a bad bunch and therefore worth arguing about more is uncertain.

Hopefully they will look at this one first and think again!
                  Or not, Scorpio.
                  Last edited by Ben; 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

There are maybe half a dozen factors to argue about with regards to Hutchinson. Most other suspects have only one or two. I can't see that he is credible as the Ripper for a whole variety of reasons, but I have also said before he makes a better suspect than nearly all the others. However, this is more of a reflection on how poor most of the other potential culprits are, rather than a endorsement of Hutchinson as the Ripper.

Comment

Oh really...

Whilst being immensley entertained by the drollness of Scorpios' witticisms, I notice he still hasn't answered the question I posed. Might we ask that he do so, so that we will know whether the argument is made from a position of knowledge or ignorance of the subject under debate?

Comment

I don't know how much weight, if any, my comment will carry, but I've always considered Hutch to be a guy who knew Mary Kelly on the fringes of her life and had a crush on her and who really did encounter her just before her murder. Perhaps he embellished the description of the man she was with, or perhaps he just had a really good photographic memory. There was a witness who described seeing what was probably Hutch hanging about outside 13 Miller's Court just as he claimed he had. When he went to the police I think he was being a bit of a drama hound thinking "I must do this for Mary's sake," being a little naieve and never considering that it might lead to his being a suspect. Then again, even if that had occurred to him, if he was being honest then didn't he have little choice if he wanted to do the right thing?

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                          I don't know how much weight, if any, my comment will carry,
                          No weight, really. No one's opinion has much weight about what Hutch was like, what he thought, or what he was actually doing the night of the murder. Only his family knows anything about him, and they're not saying much since Reggie passed on.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

I've always considered Hutch to be a guy who knew Mary Kelly on the fringes of her life and had a crush on her
                            whar are you basing this on, Kensei ?
                            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Kensei,

There was a witness who described seeing what was probably Hutch hanging about outside 13 Miller's Court just as he claimed he had. When he went to the police I think he was being a bit of a drama hound thinking "I must do this for Mary's sake
                              Interesting coincidence that this "I must do this for Mary's sake" revelation just happened to have occurred to him as soon as it became public knowledge that Sarah Lewis had seen someone "hanging around outside 13 Miller's Court", or outside the entrance to it at any rate.

Only his family knows anything about him, and they're not saying much since Reggie passed on.
                              Which carries even less weight, Mike, since the real Hutchinson almost certainly had nothing to do with anyone named "Reggie"...

All the best,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X