Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying on from yesterday...

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    If Hutchinson admitted to Abberline that he was a thief, it would have appeared in the latter's private, internal police report to his superiors. The fact that no such detail appears means that no such admission was made by Hutchinson.
    Likewise then, if the 'authorities' were the police, and they had admitted to the press that they no longer found Hutch and his story credible, because they were still asking themselves (??) why he had not come forward until after the inquest, this should have appeared somewhere in the police files. The fact that no such detail appears must mean (in your world) that no such admission was made by the police to the press. As usual, the press made it up - possibly as a result of fishing and getting a negative response re the importance of Hutch's sighting, which they misinterpreted.

Garry Wroe has made the sensible suggestion that he may have been waiting for the Blotchy man to emerge from the Court...
    ...in which case Hutch would have described Blotchy - a genuine person of interest, with his own distinguishing features - blotchy skin and red whiskers - who would then be the 'last man in' according to Cox, and confirmed by Hutch. Blotchy was already in a brown trouser position, and if he had subsequently been found and questioned, possibly as a result of Hutch going round with the police to look for him, he could have earned himself brownie points if not a reward, and his account would not have been discredited later, no matter what. Blotchy would have been the one with all the explaining to do.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
      Note the Echo's terminology:

"From latest inquiries it appears that a very reduced importance seems to be now - in the light of later investigation - attached to a statement made by a person last night that he saw a man with the deceased on the night of the murder. Of course, such a statement should have been made at the inquest, where the evidence, taken on oath, could have been compared with the supposed description of the murderer given by the witnesses. Why, ask the authorities, did not the informant come forward before?

"From latest inquiries" and "in the light of later investigation" we learn that "the authorities" were querying the late presentation of his evidence.
      But Ben, querying this with whom? With Hutch? The man from the Echo? Themselves?

Change the emphasis and you get this:

"From latest inquiries it appears that a very reduced importance seems to be now - in the light of later investigation - attached to a statement made by a person last night that he saw a man with the deceased on the night of the murder. Of course, such a statement should have been made at the inquest, where the evidence, taken on oath, could have been compared with the supposed description of the murderer given by the witnesses. Why, ask the authorities, did not the informant come forward before?"

If the authorities had informed the Echo directly that they were a) asking why Hutch hadn't come forward earlier, and as a result b) attaching a very reduced importance to his statement, there would have been no need for 'it appears that', followed by 'seems to be now'. They'd have had it from the horse's mouth that this was indeed the case, not that it merely 'appeared' to be. The 'latest inquiries' therefore clearly refer to those made by the Echo, and they were obliged to interpret whatever answers they got - or didn't get - accordingly. It 'seems' that they got short shrift and came away with the impression that Hutch was not quite the star witness he had initially appeared - arguably because other witnesses had described other potential suspects and he was but one more person with a tale to tell.

Love,

Caz
      X

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
        ...he needed to account for his loitering presence outside Miller's Court, as registered by Sarah Lewis. He couldn't have used Blotchy. If you remember, his whole explanation for loitering there was his alleged fascination at Kelly being seen in the company of a man so well-dressed. Take away the "well-dressed" conspicuous appearance, and that "explanation" disappears.
        Hi Ben,

And you don't suppose a man with Hutch's fertile imagination and cunning could have come up with a different explanation to suit the circumstances, if he had been waiting for Blotchy to come out so he could go in and kill Kelly?

As it is, I'd be most surprised if his alleged 'fascination' with his allegedly invented Astrakhan Man was accepted by Abberline and co at face value, without anyone asking the bleedin' obvious question - why this fascination would have extended to hanging around for nearly an hour in inclement weather, just in the hope of seeing the man again as he departed. With a rubbish explanation like that, I have no doubt he could have explained why he was waiting for Blotchy with no trouble at all. Claiming he knew Kelly, and she had asked him for money, he could simply have said he was waiting to see if Blotchy had been able to lend her some, so he didn't have to worry about his friend when the rent man came. After 45 minutes he figured Kelly must be happy in Blotchy's company and sorted moneywise. Much more plausible and with no comeback, since Blotchy was a real live person of interest in his own right, and the last man in if the police accepted Hutch's account as confirmation of Cox's.

It's a wonder why Hutch went against Cox's inquest testimony to put his own man in last, unless his purpose was to protect Blotchy. Or maybe he was telling the truth substantially, but with large dollops of embellishment, as innocent witnesses who are enjoying the attention often do. I even know one personally, who described in their police statement blood 'pouring' from a mugging victim's mouth, when I was there at the scene with two coppers, and there was no visible blood at all! It happens.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Inquest Procedure...

The inquest was wrapped up quick. It is stated below that the inquest could have continued (which could have included Hutch's late statement)
          Pat............................
          Attached Files

Comment

• One thought

The only thing that confuses me is why Hutch would have reported it to the press if it was thought to be important. Surely he would have been told to keep it under wraps?

Pat...................................

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The only thing that confuses me is why Hutch would have reported it to the press if it was thought to be important. Surely he would have been told to keep it under wraps?

Pat...................................
              Secrecy doesn't appear to have been a concern. The police released an official description of the Hutchinson suspect the very next morning.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Wickerman

Many thanks for that info, that explains it !

Might I ask if Hutchinson actually accompany police around Brick Lane where he claimed to have seen the man with kelly before? Or was this just another non official press release?

My great uncle Henry Cox, city detective, stated We had many people under observation while the murders were being perpetrated, but it was not until the discovery of the body of Mary Kelly had been made that we seemed to get upon the trail. When he was undercover watching someone among the Jewish Tailors (no date given) he stated There were several other officers with me, and I think there can be no harm in stating that the opinion of most of them was that the man they were watching had something to do with the crimes".

One wonders if they actually did accept Hutchinsons stated Jewish (changed to foreign by police) Jack?

Pat...........................

Comment

• Hullo Paddy.

Any idea who that might have been?
                  Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Digalittledeeperwatson View Post
                    Maurice (or Morris) Lewis was a tailor and, as his claim of having seen MJK twice on the morning of 9th November conflicted with the police surgeon's estimate TOD, he could have been subject of covert observation. It's not forced to be him, of course, but the reference to tailors is interesting.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Funny how Ben wants it both ways - he wants a report if Hutch admitted to anything 'dodgy' while being questioned, but doesn't worry that there is no report concerning his discrediting, or the reasons for it being passed on to the press.
                      Quite so. Also (and I don't address this to, or about, any particular individual) Abberline is a wise and astute man most of the time but becomes a complete numpty when his opinion runs counter to what is being proposed. The fact of the matter is that Abberline interrogated Hutchinson and documented the fact that he had done so. As his (Hutchinson's) failure to come forward earlier than he did is the subject of so much comment, then and now it is, in my submission, inconceivable that he (Abberline) didn't go into this (a) at some length and (b) during the course of his interrogation. The interrogation preceded the report and resulted in Abberline's stated belief that Hutchinson was telling the truth. If, at any point, Hutchinson was thought to have lied through his teeth about such an ostensibly important sighting, what is the first course of action which any self-respecting officer would take?
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        Maurice (or Morris) Lewis was a tailor and, as his claim of having seen MJK twice on the morning of 9th November conflicted with the police surgeon's estimate TOD, he could have been subject of covert observation. It's not forced to be him, of course, but the reference to tailors is interesting.
                        Thanks, Bridewell, for this tidbit. Normally, I have been Kosminski mentioned for this. So good to have another option.

curious

Comment

• G'Day Bridewell

Abberline is a wise and astute man most of the time but becomes a complete numpty when his opinion runs counter to what is being proposed.
                          Not only Abberline but any senior officer connected with the case. If you disagree with him, he's dishonest, incompetent or in your words a complete numpty.

I'm guessing numpty means something like fool.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Digalittledeeperwatson

Hi,,, Well I went straight for Kosminski at first, but some little things just didnt add up. I found the fact that Kos's brother had lived at 38 Berner street and then Providence street interesting. I know Matthew Packer was discredited but he said that the chap he saw with Liz Stride lived in the next street, which Providence street was.

But Henry says We had the use of a house opposite the shop of the man we suspected, and, disguised, of course, we frequently stopped across in the role of customers. I cant think what sort of shop this must be and if Kosminski would have been even working. They wouldnt pop over often to buy a suit so it must be another type of shop.

He talks of following the suspect and I have tried to visualise it but cant. Perhaps someone could? he said....
                            When darkness set in I saw him come forth from the door of his little shop and glance furtively around to see if he were being watched. I allowed him to get right out of the street before I left the house, and then I set off after him. I followed him to Lehman Street, and there I saw him enter a shop which I knew was the abode of a number of criminals well known to the police.
                            He did not stay long. For about a quarter of an hour I hung about keeping my eye on the door, and at last I was rewarded by seeing him emerging alone.
                            He made his way down to St George's in the East End, and there to my astonishment I saw him stop and speak to a drunken woman.
                            I crouched in a doorway and held my breath. Was he going to throw himself right into my waiting arms? He passed on after a moment or two, and on I slunk after him.
                            As I passed the woman she laughed and shouted something after me,
                            which, however, I did not catch.
                            My man was evidently of opinion that he might be followed every minute. Now and again he turned his head and glanced over his shoulder, and consequently I had the greatest difficulty in keeping behind him.

I had to work my way along, now with my back to the wall, now pausing and making little runs for a sheltering doorway. Not far from where the model lodging house stands he met another woman, and for a considerable distance he walked along with her.
                            Just as I was beginning to prepare myself for a terrible ordeal, however, he pushed her away from him and set off at a rapid pace.
                            In the end he brought me, tired, weary, and nerve-strung, back to the street he had left where he disappeared into his own house.

If only the answer was passed down in the family !!!

Pat..........................

Comment

• Also

Henry did state that there was significance of the dates the murders took place.
                              Could have been his theory, wonder what he meant.

Pat.................

Comment

• G'Day Paddy

Did Henry write that out, or was it passed down mouth to mouth as it were?
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X