The Red Handkerchief...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Gaiters with white buttons are actually called spats.
    Try reading Hutchinson's Police statement.

They are designed to cover the fastenings,whether lace or button up boots.
    Think dress up, not riding or hiking gear.

I have worn both,although my spats had black buttons.
    Never worn button up boots,as they went out with.....button up boots.
    You're not alone, the press confused his gaiters for spats too.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The spats I wore went up to the calf.

Your Dictionary describes what Mr A was almost certainly wearing.

Wickerman has actually shown half chaps.
      Highly unlikely to see them as street wear.
      Definitely lacking white buttons.
      The riding boots have no buttons.
      0/10. Fail!
      Sorry I stand by the OED - nowhere is it mentioned that spats must have white buttons. American gangster movies and Fred Astaire have a lot to answer for!

Besides, it should be apparent that "spats" can mean different things to many people. Ergo, we can't be precisely sure what the alleged Mr A was wearing.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Once again....read Hutchinson's Police Statement.

"button boots and gaiters with white buttons"
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Once again....read Hutchinson's Police Statement.

"button boots and gaiters with white buttons"
          So Mr A wore "gaiters with white buttons", which is fine, so let's stick to that.

From my perspective, I very much doubt that Mr Astrakhan really existed, so there's no point in our having a "spat" about what he wore on his fictitious feet.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            What has what Hutchinson saw (the red handkerchief) by the light of the lamp in the Millers Court passage got to do with what he saw directly under the lamp at the Queen's Head? Hutchinson reported that he was very close to the couple then, and was therefore able to furnish a full description.
            It's likely a small point but, Hutchinson does not tell us he first noticed the handkerchief when it was pulled out, but that, "he then pulled his handkerchief out".
            Hutch could very easily have noticed this handkerchief sticking out of the top of one of his pockets as Astrachan passed under the lamp, before they walked down Dorset St.
            Astrachan was after all wearing a top coat, jacket & waistcoat, there were enough pockets.

Just for the record, the Ordnance Survey Map gives 125 ft. approx. from Millers Court passage to the east end corner of Dorset St., south side, with Commercial St.
            Last edited by Wickerman; 07-16-2015, 06:28 PM.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              So Mr A wore "gaiters with white buttons", which is fine, so let's stick to that.

From my perspective, I very much doubt that Mr Astrakhan really existed, so there's no point in our having a "spat" about what he wore on his fictitious feet.
              Agreed.

The button boots under gaiters with white buttons is nonsense,like the Ten Bells Public House and the red handkerchief.

Ironically the red handkerchief may have been a Freudian slip.

I do however strongly suspect George E Hutchinson was a lookout for Jack the Ripper.

The Police statement was a red herring.

Comment

• Was a male of Hutchinson's description seen near where any of the other victims were attacked and Killed? Anybody seen hanging around Dutfield's Yard or near to 29 Hanbury St, for example? Or is it your contention that Jack only took a lookout along when he picked up Mary Kelly?

Comment

• Ah, another lookout, Hollywood has a lot to answer for.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

is it your contention that Jack only took a lookout along when he picked up Mary Kelly?
                    Yes.

Hutchinson was a "cockatoo" for Jack's entrance into Miller's Court and for some time after.

Mr A is a complete fabrication.

I believe that BS man was Stride's bodyguard and that Jack struck after he got tired of waiting and had an altercation over non payment of services.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      Ah, another lookout, Hollywood has a lot to answer for.
                      Which movie?

Michael Palin and John Cleese having a "five minute". argument

Seems more your style.

Comment

• What bodyguard, DJA? Do you mean a pimp (at about 4d a time they'd both be starving, surely), or boyfriend, like her ex Michael Kidney? And where is the proof?

Comment

• No one said bright, and how dim it was depended on the person lighting it. Some people used less gas for fear of being blown off the ladders. Ok, light travels through space, is space lit up? No, space is a vacuum with nothing to alter the straight waves of photons. Once it reaches earth, everything from air to water cause refraction, the bending of light, and reflection turning darkness to day. What is glare? How do sunglasses work? Glare is not a secondary light, it is photons bouncing off a surface into photons, which causes intense light. Sunglasses only allow the photons before they bounce basically, removing the interaction causing glare. The video presented, is through a polarized lens; it has removed the interaction leading from the source, to the air. They did this to show the source flame since otherwise there would just be glare. Not sure what a unicorn has to do with light, but ok, now done with topic.
                          I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                          Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

What bodyguard, DJA? Do you mean a pimp (at about 4d a time they'd both be starving, surely), or boyfriend, like her ex Michael Kidney? And where is the proof?
                            Let's face it,amongst those known to be at the scene of Stride's murder,no one could really be described as broad shouldered.

Broad shoulders are often the result of demanding excercise.

Charles Warren took an interest in Packer and sent for him.

Warren was an officer in the Royal Engineers.

Strongly suspect a RE sapper by the name of Carter was BS man.

His "card" was found near Eddowes body.

Some believe Carter was a baker.

Some people believe Hutchinson was a plumber,with a military bearing.

Some believe you can see boot buttons under spats.

Suspect I've found myself in a Monty Python sketch.
                            Last edited by DJA; 07-16-2015, 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Merci

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              Let's face it,amongst those known to be at the scene of Stride's murder,no one could really be described a broad shouldered.

Broad shoulders are often the result of demanding excercise.

Charles Warren took an interest in Packer and sent for him.

Warren was an officer in the Royal Engineers.

Strongly suspect a RE sapper by the name of Carter was BS man.

His "card" was found near Eddowes body.

Some believe Carter was a baker.

Some people believe Hutchinson was a plumber,with a military bearing.

Some believe you can see boot buttons under spats.

Suspect I've found myself in a Monty Python sketch.
                              That would be me, a newbie.
                              From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                              "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Prolly reckon it was Dr. John.

Comment

Working...
                                X