The Red Handkerchief...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
    Investigators were unable to prove that Carrie Maxwell didn't see Kelly on the morning of 9th November, but medical and other evidence provided a clear indication as to the impossibility of this sighting.
    I understand, you are offering a known situation where medical opinion raised unproven suspicions, even doubts, about the testimony of a witness.
    Yes, and medical opinion is always preferred by Scotland Yard, but in this case the Time of Death window, even though broad, was still not broad enough to include 8 o'clock in the morning.

In offering this example of Medical Opinion vs Maxwell, you have at the same time justified the use of Dr. Bond's estimated Time of Death which also raised questions about Hutchinson's statement.
    You appear to accept that medical opinion can cause doubts with Maxwell's story, but medical opinion cannot cause doubt with Hutchinson's story, perhaps you might explain that?

Ben and I recognize that police did not entirely trust Hutchinson’s account by Tuesday, 13 November (the date of the Echo’s ‘diminution’ story), and had dismissed it altogether by the time the Star published its ‘worthless stories’ report two days later.
    Right, you both show and quote the press criticizing Hutchinson's story, but neither of you have anything to show the police did this, only the press.
    In fact that article credits the police with them acknowledging two suspects. We at least agree that Hutchinson's statement may have become less significant 24 hours after it was first released, and this article does not change that.
    The police are still pursuing two suspects.

I have merely stated that investigators would never have jettisoned Hutchinson and his story without first having compelling reasons for so doing, an assertion based upon the police procedures of the time.
    What I see is that you have a habit of reading something in the press and then jumping to the conclusion that this is police opinion, as opposed to press opinion – while not providing the slightest evidence to support your conclusion.
    You have nothing to show that the police “jettisoned Hutchinson and his story”, let alone them having compelling reason to do so.

In both cases you are drawing conclusion from conjecture. What is more, you offer what can only be described as a circular argument.
    The press dismiss Hutchinson, which, you say, is due to police opinion, and your proof of this police dismissal are the press reports? – circular argument!
    Do you have anything else to support your belief?

Well, you have offered Anderson's view, that the “best” witness to have seen the killer was a Jew, so clearly not Hutchinson.
    But then, it is not a forgone conclusion that Hutchinson did see the killer.
    And, neither Schwartz nor Lawende can be said to have “certainly” seen the killer, even in the eyes of the police, so where does this leave Anderson's view?

The Echo of 13 November encapsulated the police thinking at that time: ‘Dr. Phillips' evidence, together with that of Mary Anne Cox, Elizabeth Prater, and others, proves that the murder was committed shortly after three o'clock …’
    Really?
    Well, Dr. Phillips wasn't talking, as usual.
    You want proof, will the Echo do as a source?
    -Dr. Phillips was especially emphatic in his desire that the investigations should not to be made known. Echo, 9 Nov.
    -Up to the present the police refuse the Press any information. Echo 9 Nov.
    -Dr. G.B. Phillips, the divisional surgeon of the H Division, whose reticence is justified by an assurance he gave of secrecy. Echo, 10 Nov.
    So we have no opinion from Dr. Phillips.

Prater, suggested the cry of murder must have been after 4 o'clock.
    Cox, admitted to hearing nothing at all after 1 o'clock.
    That paragraph from the Echo is blatantly inaccurate. You would do better if you read those testimonies yourself first before you blindly accept a press article as fact.

This piece, moreover, makes it perfectly clear that the Met viewed Blotchy as the prime suspect in the Kelly murder, which explains the press reports from later in the week detailing police raids on low lodging houses and casual wards.
    The most interesting line is this one:
    “The Metropolitan police, however, have been induced to attach more significance to Cox's statement.”
    When you are “induced” to follow a line of inquiry, you have been persuaded, or directed, or required to follow the guidance of others.
    This is another clue that the police had been influenced by some means to look again at the Cox suspect. Dr. Bond's report is such an instrument to “induce” Scotland Yard to divide their inquiries.

By the way, when the police are making enquiries in Lodging Houses, or Casual Wards, they are also looking for witnesses. They are asking the public if they were out on the night in question, did they see anything, etc.
    The best place to deal with the public in one location is the Lodging House, or the Casual Ward. This doesn't mean they are only pursuing one suspect, and that this one suspect must be a dosser. They were also checking the Docks for Drovers, and Sailors, then the Lunatic Asylums, insane medical students, and so on.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, in the extant record is sympathetic to the notion that police continued to view Astrakhan as the likely murderer.
    Ah, so now you want to deal with the “extant record”?
    Nothing in the extant record indicates Hutchinson was disbelieved by the police.
    Nothing suggests the police dismissed the Hutchinson suspect, and only pursued the Blotchy suspect.
    Nothing in the extant record suggests Abberline was contacted by telegram to come to Commercial St. to take Hutchinson's statement.
    Nothing exists to indicate that Abberline was even present when Hutchinson gave his statement.
    Nothing has ever been produced to indicate that words attributed to Sarah Lewis by the press at the inquest contain any errors of contradiction with the Coroner's version.

All this is pure fantasy, the product of conclusion drawn from conjecture.
    Should you ever happen to stumble across anything remotely resembling conventional evidence for any part of your hypothesis, please don't keep it a secret.

Most extraordinarily of all, you once argued that Astrakhan remained the prime suspect in the case even though Hutchinson’s story had been discounted.
    Given that his story was never discounted, I'm not following your meaning.
    As far out as 6 Dec. the press recognized that Abberline believed he had finally caught Astrachan.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      context wicky.CONTEXT.
      And I see you left out the next sentence-I stood there for three quarters of an hour to see if they would come out.

Yeah he stood IN THE COURT by her apartment for 45 minutes.

Get a grip.
      You likely need to look further than the end of your nose.

This was printed in the Evening News, Pall Mall Gazette, St. James Gazette, Daily News, Times, Star.
      "I went to look up the court to see if I could see them, but I could not. I stood there for three quarters of an hour, to see if they came down again, but they did not, so I went away."

Compare with the police version:
      " I then went to the Court to see if I could see them, but could not. I stood there for about three quarters of an hour to see if they came out they did not so I went away."

Almost identical. So he did not change his story.

In each case more detail is added in the press version, this is where we read:
      "I went up the court and stayed there a couple of minutes, but did not see any light in the house or hear any noise."

This in addition to his story, not a change.
      Likely the result of the reporter asking questions that were not asked by Badham. The press version is almost double the length of the police version, so extra detail is included in the latter.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Just by way of comparison, one press version is posted below. The 'blue' section is comparable with what he told police - almost word for word.

The 'red' section repeats the description portion on the police statement.

The rest is extra detail, likely the result of questions by the reporter.

On Thursday last I had been to Romford, in Essex, and I returned from there about two o'clock on Friday morning, having walked all the way. I came down Whitechapel road into Commercial street. As I passed Thrawl street I passed a man standing at the corner of the street, and as I went towards Flower and Dean street I met the woman Kelly, whom I knew very well, having been in her company a number of times. She said, "Mr. Hutchinson, can you lend me sixpence?" I said, "I cannot, as I am spent out going down to Romford." She then walked on towards Thrawl street, saying, "I must go and look for some money." The man who was standing at the corner of Thrawl street then came towards her and put his hand on her shoulder, and said something to her which I did not hear, and they both burst out laughing. He put his hand again on her shoulder and they both walked slowly towards me. I walked on to the corner of Fashion street, near the public house. As they came by me his arm was still on her shoulder. He had a soft felt hat on, and this was drawn down somewhat over his eyes. I put down my head to look him in the face, and he turned and looked at me very sternly, and they walked across the road to Dorset street. I followed them across and stood at the corner of Dorset street. They stood at the corner of Miller's court for about three minutes. Kelly spoke to the man in a loud voice, saying, "I have lost my handkerchief." He pulled a red handkerchief out of his pocket, and gave it to Kelly, and they both went up the court together. I went to look up the court to see if I could see them, but could not. I stood there for three quarters of an hour to see if they came down again, but they did not, and so I went away. My suspicions were aroused by seeing a man so well dressed, but I had no suspicion that he was the murderer. The man was about 5ft 8in in height and 34 or 35 years of age, with dark complexion and dark moustache turned up at the ends. He was wearing a long dark coat trimmed with astrachan, a white collar with black necktie, in which was affixed a horseshow pin. He wore a pair of dark "spats" with light buttons over button boots, and displayed from his waistcoat a massive gold chain. His watch chain had a big seal with a red stone hanging from it. He had a heavy moustache, curled up, and dark eyes and bushy eyebrows. He had no side whiskers, and his chin was clean shaven. He looked like a foreigner. I went up the court and stayed there a couple of minutes, but did not see any light in the house or hear any noise. I was out last night until three o'clock looking for him. I could swear to the man anywhere. I told one policeman on Sunday morning what I had seen, but did not go to the police station. I told one of the lodgers here about it yesterday, and he advised me to go to the police station, which I did last night. The man I saw did not look as though he would attack another one. He carried a small parcel in his hand, about eight inches long, and it had a strap round it. He had it tightly grasped in his left hand. It looked as though it was covered with dark American cloth. He carried in his right hand, which he laid upon the woman's shoulder, a pair of brown kid gloves. One thing I noticed, and that was that he walked very softly. I believe that he lives in the neighbourhood, and I fancied that I saw him in Petticoat lane on Sunday morning, but I was not certain. I went down to the Shoreditch mortuary today and recognised the body as being that of the woman Kelly, whom I saw at two o'clock on Friday morning. Kelly did not seem to me to be drunk, but was a bit "spreeish." I was quite sober, not having had anything to drink all day. After I left the court I walked about all night, as the place where I usually sleep was closed. I came in as soon as it opened in the morning. I am able to fix the time, as it was between ten and five minutes to two o'clock as I came by Whitechapel Church. When I left the corner of Miller's court the clock struck three o'clock. One policeman went by the Commercial street end of Dorset street while I was standing there, but not one came down Dorset street. I saw one man go into a lodging house in Dorset street, but no one else. I have been looking for the man all day.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• What I find interesting is that Hutchinson doesn't actually say it was an astrachan coat the man was wearing. In the police statement he merely states that the cuffs were trimmed astrachan, something he could easily have been mistaken about.

Comment

• Wickerman,
            I thought this going to business had been explained.For instance, I might say I went to my friend's house last night.Might be we sat in the garden and had a drink,but doesn't mean I had to go into the house to legitimise the expression.It's an ambiguous statement.Going to the court does not mean Hutchinson had to enter.It explains what happened after he left the corner of Dorset Street.He could have said he was at Crossingham's.Didn't mean he had to be inside Crossingham's.

Comment

• The extra details provoke an obvious question. The policeman he saw in Commercial street. If he had suspicions about the man then why didn't he report them to the policeman?
              All the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                You likely need to look further than the end of your nose.

This was printed in the Evening News, Pall Mall Gazette, St. James Gazette, Daily News, Times, Star.
                "I went to look up the court to see if I could see them, but I could not. I stood there for three quarters of an hour, to see if they came down again, but they did not, so I went away."

Compare with the police version:
                " I then went to the Court to see if I could see them, but could not. I stood there for about three quarters of an hour to see if they came out they did not so I went away."

Almost identical. So he did not change his story.

In each case more detail is added in the press version, this is where we read:
                "I went up the court and stayed there a couple of minutes, but did not see any light in the house or hear any noise."

This in addition to his story, not a change.
                Likely the result of the reporter asking questions that were not asked by Badham. The press version is almost double the length of the police version, so extra detail is included in the latter.
                Hi Wicky
                So is your interpretation that hutch stood inside Millers court, near Mary's apartment, for 45 minutes, when he describes his "waiting for them to come out " vigil?

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                  Wickerman,
                  I thought this going to business had been explained.For instance, I might say I went to my friend's house last night.Might be we sat in the garden and had a drink,but doesn't mean I had to go into the house to legitimise the expression.It's an ambiguous statement.Going to the court does not mean Hutchinson had to enter.It explains what happened after he left the corner of Dorset Street.He could have said he was at Crossingham's.Didn't mean he had to be inside Crossingham's.
                  It was never 'explained' Harry.
                  The comment is ambiguous, it could be taken either way. It is encouraging to see that you at least acknowledge this.
                  I did ask why no-one was prepared to accept the meaning is not exclusive, but as is typical, no-one wanted to admit it could be taken either way.

Hutchinson does clarify what he meant in the press statement. He first repeats what he told police, "I went to the court" - which could have two meanings - then presumably in response to a question he expands on this to the reporter, that he went up the court to see if he could see or hear anything.

What is astonishing to me is that someone would try to use this as an excuse to claim he changed his story.
                  Are some people that desperate to incriminate him that they will manipulate common English?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Wicky
                    So is your interpretation that hutch stood inside Millers court, near Mary's apartment, for 45 minutes, when he describes his "waiting for them to come out " vigil?
                    No, no need to connect the latter with the former.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                      The extra details provoke an obvious question. The policeman he saw in Commercial street. If he had suspicions about the man then why didn't he report them to the policeman?
                      All the best.
                      Policemen were on Point Duty at the Market, they are not supposed to leave their post.

The Constable may have suggested he go to the police station, but he may not have been able to. It is quite possible that Hutchinson was working at the market, he was after all an unemployed laborer.
                      He can't run off at a moments notice and leave his job, so by the end of the day he likely thought there is no point anymore.

Who knows, we can only speculate.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It was never 'explained' Harry.
                        The comment is ambiguous, it could be taken either way. It is encouraging to see that you at least acknowledge this.
                        I did ask why no-one was prepared to accept the meaning is not exclusive, but as is typical, no-one wanted to admit it could be taken either way.
                        There's a simple reason why your assertion gained little to no traction. Hutchinson not only provided a police statement, he was questioned prior to pen going to paper. On top of this he was 'interrogated' by Abberline. Had there been any suggestion that he'd stood directly outside Kelly's room we'd know about it. Any even semi-competent investigator would have sought to determine whether he'd noticed any light or sound emanating from the room. He would have been asked if he'd seen or heard anyone else in the court. Any number of questions would have required answers. Yet we have nothing. Not a single reference to Hutchinson having been within touching distance of what had already become the most notorious murder scene in British criminal history.

You either do not understand the nature of a police witness statement or are disregarding reality in order to sustain an unsustainable assertion. The simple fact of the matter is that Hutchinson's police statement was a written account detailing a continuous sequence of events pertaining to the death of Mary Jane Kelly. Had Hutchinson mentioned being outside her room at a time critical to her death, such a claim would, by necessity, have been included in the statement.

Odds-on you'll dispute even this glaring reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                          The extra details provoke an obvious question. The policeman he saw in Commercial street. If he had suspicions about the man then why didn't he report them to the policeman?
                          That's the issue, Martin. Hutchinson claimed not to have been suspicious of Astrakhan. His interest, he asserted, was stimulated because the obviously well-heeled Astrakhan looked out of place consorting with Kelly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
                            I’m talking about police leaks and clandestine disclosures that happen all the time over the course of your average investigation, quite contrary to your startling declaration that it never happened at any stage during the ripper investigation.
                            Why don't you read what Sugden had to say about it.
                            "The attitude of the police to the press, moreover, exacerbated the already strained relationship between the two. On the part of the police it implied mistrust which the responsible press found galling. And journalists, unable to satisfy their inquiries at the police stations, were reduced to all manner of dubious practices in order to fill their columns - trying to loosen the tongues of police constables with drink and bribes, shadowing detectives to discover and interview their witnesses, scavenging gossip, and hearsay about the streets and, of course, romancing shamelessly."
                            Sugden, p 75.

Isn't that just what I have been trying to impress on you for years now, it isn't just me. It is blindingly obvious to anyone who studies the press.

For crying out loud, Jon, the reason the police didn’t publish the Cox description themselves was because they knew full well that virtually every newspaper had already published their coverage of the inquest, which included a full description of the Blotchy suspect.
                            Interesting, so why the delay?
                            You keep raising the issue of the "delay" with Hutchinson coming forward, yet the police interviewed Mary Cox on Friday, so they obtained Blotchy's description on Friday, yet they waited four days, until Tuesday for the press to publish this description as a result of the inquest?

Why the delay?
                            In your opinion, the police did not publish Blotchy's description because...four days down the line the inquest coverage will do it for us?, .....geeze, we can save 2d on printed space - wow!
                            Really, Ben....

This is infuriating nonsense.
                            To you maybe, but you are not a detective working on the case. This is precisely what they would do.

Nope, it was due to the fact that he was discredited as a time-waster and never considered in the capacity of suspect.
                            Ah, the Circular Argument again.
                            It must be so, because the press said it is so.
                            (Hint - Sugden)

I double-dare you to repeat the “automatic suspect” argument – go on!
                            Anytime it is necessary - you know there is nothing to be gained by you daring me. Whatever and whenever, it will be done.

Says you, but according to what evidence? And how is it realistically possible to turn “pale” into its polar opposite, “dark”, by pure accident? And don’t you think it’s an interesting coincidence that the very same “errors” – which, according to you, were “not Hutchinson’s fault” – also appeared the next day in the report of Hutchinson’s interview with a press agency journalist?
                            What do you mean?
                            Are you suggesting the description published on the 13th came directly from Hutchinson? - I hope not.

The detail included within the press version of his story on the 14th is like a 'cut and paste' of what was published on the 13th.

.... why, if Hutchinson had visited Petticoat Lane on Sunday morning and had seen the same suspect again, did he mention nothing of the episode to the police?
                            Here's a hint.
                            Take a look at the police statement by Sarah Lewis.
                            Now compare that with the extended version she gave at the inquest.
                            Then go away and figure out by yourself how she came up with the extra detail.
                            Was she lying in her police statement?
                            According to your version of logic she must have been, otherwise she would have given every single detail the first time around.

Of course, there could be a very reasonable and logical explanation why the latter statement is more complete than the former. Take your time Ben, I will not rush you.

So, let me attempt to get my head around what you’re suggesting here:

If you have a home and work address, you’re free to do as you please, regardless of how suspicious you might otherwise appear.
                            You really do not know how the police operated at the time do you.

All you have to take on board is that police information gets leaked to the press occasionally, particularly in high-profile investigations. Everyone agrees with me on that score. Nobody agrees with you. Sorry to have to play that card again, but come on, it must tell you something.
                            Nobody, except Sugden?
                            More people than you think, but most do not enjoy mindless argy-bargy which goes nowhere - me, I'm different, I find it entertaining.

You suggest that the latter paper gained their information from the streets, but then that was your excuse for dismissing the Echo’s claim with regard to the loss of interest in Hutchinson. “It’s probably false because it came from the streets”, says Jon of the Echo, but then “it’s probably true because it came from the streets”, says Jon if the IPN. You are awash with inconsistency.
                            Why don't you quote me, then you might get it right.
                            Press opinion is false because the police tell them nothing.
                            Reporters get their info from the streets, ..do us both a favor, just re-read what Sugden wrote - then commit it to memory.

The relevant point, which you keep trying to bury in more and more rubble, is that the police imparted accurate information to the Echo after receiving them at Commercial Street police station.
                            No matter how often you repeat it, you will not make it true.
                            This kind of assertion can be proven by a detailed quote, so easy when you have one. Your problem is, you don't, and you never will, because this is all in your mind.

The "morning papers" are the ones declaring that there is not the slightest reason for doubting Hutchinson's veracity, despite the fact the police had "considerably discounted" Hutchinson's statement "because the statement of the informant had not been made at the inquest and in a more official manner".
                            The "morning papers" is a reference to the Daily News, which wrote:
                            "It will be observed that the description of the supposed murderer given by Hutchinson agrees in every particular with that already furnished by the police, and published yesterday morning. There is not the slightest reason to doubt Hutchinson's veracity, and it is therefore highly probable that at length the police are in possession of a reliable description of the murderer."

No mention of police opinion, or anything being discounted by police. That snippet was embedded by the Echo, within a paragraph taken from the Daily News.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

No, no need to connect the latter with the former.
                              Well I thought your whole argument was hutch didn't change his story about going into the court, because you said all his statements where consistent with him going into the court?

Comment

Well I thought your whole argument was hutch didn't change his story about going into the court, because you said all his statements where consistent with him going into the court?
                                Hutch told the press the same story as he told police, the blue section in this post is almost the same as his police statement.

If you want to compare both statements line for line, look at this link.

So he didn't change his story.

Extra detail provided in the press statement clarifies what he meant in his police statement, that he walked up the court.
                                We know the 45 minute vigil was while he stood out on Dorset St. Even in the press version he says he waited for them to come down again, so clearly he is not inside the court on this vigil.

I really do not see why there is an issue.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X