Elusive radio programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
    Links above don't seem to work but the dates should be good!
    "The Other Victorians" -A ten-part series examining the hidden and darker aspects of Victorian life.

Sounds feasible that a JTR episode could be a part of this series n'est pas?

Comment

The episode from The Other Victorians series about the murders is called, "Who Was Jack The Ripper?".

It was broadcast on Thursday 1st June 1972 at 8pm.

Episode info suggests it focuses on the Royal cover up angle...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/18e81aee...0f2a65167b137a

"The series of gruesome murders committed by an unidentified psychopath in 1888 is perhaps the most notorious crime in British legal history. Among its most sensational features was the persistent rumour that the murderer was a highly placed aristocrat shielded by the police: and recently, and most sensationally of all. that he was the Duke of Clarence. eldest son of the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII , and therefore eventual heir to the English throne. When this unhappy Prince died in 1892 there was a well-orchestrated outpouring of grief: Hope of a people's heart - your promised king - and mine, .wrote Alfred Austin. But could he really have been Jack the Ripper?"

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Cat View Post
        The episode from The Other Victorians series about the murders is called, "Who Was Jack The Ripper?".

It was broadcast on Thursday 1st June 1972 at 8pm.

Episode info suggests it focuses on the Royal cover up angle...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/18e81aee...0f2a65167b137a

"The series of gruesome murders committed by an unidentified psychopath in 1888 is perhaps the most notorious crime in British legal history. Among its most sensational features was the persistent rumour that the murderer was a highly placed aristocrat shielded by the police: and recently, and most sensationally of all. that he was the Duke of Clarence. eldest son of the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII , and therefore eventual heir to the English throne. When this unhappy Prince died in 1892 there was a well-orchestrated outpouring of grief: Hope of a people's heart - your promised king - and mine, .wrote Alfred Austin. But could he really have been Jack the Ripper?"
        Thanks for that!

I wonder if this was the broadcast Richard in the OP remembers hearing. Or maybe not? I pm'd Richard to ask for his response about this find...
        Last edited by mpriestnall; 03-08-2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

When Genome first went online, which wikipedia tells me was 2014, I told Richard about it as I knew of this elusive radio show then. I can't recall exactly but I think I might of pointed out The Other Victorians episode to him at the time.

It would be nice to hear. I have/had a couple of episodes in The Other Victorians series on mp3. But not the Ripper episode. Not sure if I still have them. I haven't seen them around recently. By which I mean about the last 10-15 years.

Genome has changed and been added to since 2014 and I know when it first went onliine it didn't go into regional programming much, of which Richard's program could be.

By the way, the script for Who Was Jack the Ripper? by Michell Raper was published (Casebook info page link below) in 400 copies by The Tabaret Press in 1974. I wonder if anybody has a copy? Paul Begg? Stewart Evans?

https://www.casebook.org/ripper_medi...ion/raper.html
          These are not clues, Fred.
          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

Ozzy, thanks for the info.

Michell Raper is a name that escaped me although he mentioned all over the shot eg:

The Mammoth Book of the Jack the Ripper - Maxim Jakubowski

Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Casebook - Richard Whittington-Egan

Jack the Ripper - An Encyclopedia - John J Eddleston

Comment

Working...
            X