Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
    was that me?

My brain tends to work not so much as a train of thought as a convoy of loosely connected but disparate vehicles!

I'll learn though...give me time!
    It wasnt you BB....very often comments that are made within specific context contain remarks that are outside the realm of the topic at hand, but contentious enough for some to address rather than let data that may not be correct slide on through.

Im one of the most guilty of both including such remarks, or addressing them. Because Im like you....I have thoughts that are streams that wind around certain ideas.

Sam or someone will usually remind us to return to the table to finish our vegetables.....I say that with humor and respect.

Best regards.

Comment

be careful here, it's not possessing the flashy clothing that really matters either way, it's would he have dressed like that as JTR... no, but he probably had enough money to vary his ``more normal`` clothing/ face disguise..... but i think lightening his moustache/eyebrows and hair, is a bit too much of a stretch of imagination.

the LA DI DA suspect looks rediculous, what on earth would somebody looking as smart as that; be doing visiting a down and out prostitute in filthy Whitechapel...a rich gent with money and class would be up the West End in a fancy brothel, in Knightsbridge/Pall Mall area....and would travel via horse and carriage!

this LA DI DA unless he's one in a thousand, is not a rich upper class gent, he's a get rich quick pawn broker, a dodgy diamond broker, or a money loan shark/Mr Bling.....he's also, although poshly dressed, rather tasteless too.

he could actually be very similar to someone like Chapman, but i doubt that JTR dressed like that at all
      Last edited by Malcolm X; 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Oh, now Topping was wearing flashy clothing? That's new to me...unless...
        you are talking about something that doesn't belong on this thread. Take it elsewhere, all of you.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

All about Toppy

If Toppy was Hutch, then all about Toppy is, or becomes important, or at least more important than ever.
          And this would apply first to Reg's story.

A family tradition seems having existed far before Fairclough could be intouch with any of the family members. Did it refer already to Churchill ? To any cover-up or plot ?
          Who's responsible for this lie or gross exaggeration ?
          Toppy himself ?
          Reg ?
          Other family members, or the family as a whole ?

If it was Toppy, then Reg was wrong saying his father was a "down-to-earth man".

If it was Reg, then 3 possibilities:

1- He lied saying he'd heard his father talking about his involvement in the case.

2- He heard his father's memories, but chose to distort them.

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

David,

Didn't Fairclough say that Reg told him that it was someone like Churchill.
            I don't have any Ripper literature with me aside from Casebook, but I think that was it. As if to say it was an upper class guy.

Cheers,

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Mike,
              you should also read the next sentence, p 246 - if not misquoted by Truebluedub, #1 of "Looking at his account".

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Where is that page? If in Fairclough's book, I don't have it.

Cheers,

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Thread "Topping Hutchinson, looking at his son's account",
                  page 1, Post 1, Mike.

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

thank you Sam and thank you Michael for making allowances for a newbie!

Unfortunately i have a background in English Literature so always love a good tale and never use one word where one thousand will do! Married to a mind which spins off in tangents...and everyone is dizzy!

Shame Sam and others will bring us back to our vegetables since i have always loathed broccoli! ;o)

seriously, IF Topping was Hutch, which i am still not sure about and am eagerly awaiting Crystal's expertise on, i personally think that would in probability remove him ever so slightly from the suspect line-up; as Crystal and others have pointed out, whichever way the investigation goes it is highly unlikely that a resolution either way ( i.e., Toppy considered either to be or not to be (that is the question!)the witness) would lead to answers, rather to more and more questions and less and less certainty...wow what a circuitous sentence that turned out to be! Follow that one at your peril!

i think it's what Keats described as negative capability...the fun of the frustration, and the frustration of the fun, keeps everyone so eager to get the answers, and it's terribly annoying to think these questions might never ever ever ever ever be answered...bear that in mind when duelling to the death in these threads...
                    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post

If it was Reg, then 3 possibilities:

1- He lied saying he'd heard his father talking about his involvement in the case.

2- He heard his father's memories, but chose to distort them.

Amitiés,
                      David
                      Hi David

is it just me, or is the number three of the three possibilities missing?
                      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

[QUOTE=Malcolm X;83064]
                        Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post

that's what i said wasn't it .... but only you bothered to answer my thread...the problem with Chapman is, that rediculous clothing he wore to kill Kelly........it's way too conspicuous !
                        Malcolm,
                        Chapman was quite Jack the lad.On several occasions he had women fighting over him,twice at least he had a "threesome" operating in his home.He kept himself in top condition apparently being a very keen cyclist ,when he was 37 he and eighteen year old Maud cycled regularly to Croydon from Southwark to see her parents who were apparently quite dumbfounded that she was so besotted with him.
                        As a "very keen cyclist"he cycled all over London---- he had even joined the Police cycling club when he was running the Prince of Wales pub a club which met and trained regularly !
                        In the photos we have of him he dresses in several different outfits-in one with Bessie Taylor -an expert "lady"cyclist who trained regularly -he wears a "nautical style" sailor cap;in one where he is on his own he is dressed to the nines in a three piece suit with a carnation in the lapel,in another you can see his "gold" watch and chain----in another with Maud Marsh- he is wearing a bow tie etc .Talk about a man who played many parts!

Comment

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
                          Hi David

is it just me, or is the number three of the three possibilities missing?
                          Hi BB,
                          you're right, but the third possibility isn't to be discussed.
                          I mentioned it to set my mind at rest, but since Reg would be part of it, it is of little significance.
                          To make it simple: was the lie /exaggeration coming from Toppy, or from his relatives ?

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

[QUOTE=Natalie Severn;83242]
                            Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post

Malcolm,
                            Chapman was quite Jack the lad.On several occasions he had women fighting over him,twice at least he had a "threesome" operating in his home.He kept himself in top condition apparently being a very keen cyclist ,when he was 37 he and eighteen year old Maud cycled regularly to Croydon from Southwark to see her parents who were apparently quite dumbfounded that she was so besotted with him.
                            As a "very keen cyclist"he cycled all over London---- he had even joined the Police cycling club when he was running the Prince of Wales pub a club which met and trained regularly !
                            In the photos we have of him he dresses in several different outfits-in one with Bessie Taylor -an expert "lady"cyclist who trained regularly -he wears a "nautical style" sailor cap;in one where he is on his own he is dressed to the nines in a three piece suit with a carnation in the lapel,in another you can see his "gold" watch and chain----in another with Maud Marsh- he is wearing a bow tie etc .Talk about a man who played many parts!
                            hi Natalie

Gold watch and chain.....that's interesting, yes he was definitely a poser...LA DI DA could be him i suppose, but it's a fair stretch of the imagination..

my guess is that he had posh clothing back in 1888 too, but maybe not as excessive as LA DI DA, who knows, a very strange person indeed!

and still a strong suspect!....especially if i dont find any more murders after 1890 in S.E England, i'll research tomorrow. ( Hutch)

Comment

Working...
                            X