X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    frustration and anger
    Hi Sam,
    I wouldn't be frustrated nor angry, if Toppy turned out to be the witness. Once again, I have Fleming in my pocket.
    And moreover, since experts are rather of opinion that he wasn't, and since Reg's story is as dodgy as it has ever been, why there should be frustration and anger ?

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

• Originally posted by Crystal View Post
      I wasn't serious. But seriously, a lot of people believed him at the time, I believe. You as well. Photographs can mislead, and so can digital images of handwriting samples.
      As I've said previously, deception does not enter into the "Hutchinson Signature" problem-space, so at least we can "read" these images without fear of being duped.

The problem with the Nazca lines was that the author wanted us to believe his story - perhaps he even wanted to continue believing it himself, although (in EvD's case) I doubt it. If this doesn't ring alarm-bells with Ripperologists (or those who feel an allegiance to any given field, such as document analysis for example), then I don't know what would.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• You think you can. You actually can't. There's so much you miss.

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
          Hi Sam,
          I wouldn't be frustrated nor angry, if Toppy turned out to be the witness.
          Glad to hear it, Dave. Because he almost certainly was.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Crystal View Post
            You think you can. You actually can't. There's so much you miss.
            There's very little I miss, but when I do, I tend to acknowledge it. That way progress lies.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• For a wonder, I agree with what you say! Could this be a miracle, Sam Flynn?

Comment

The problem with the Nazca lines was that the author wanted us to believe his story - perhaps he even wanted to continue believing it himself, although (in EvD's case) I doubt it.
                Ah Sam,
                I hate to see you misled.
                You must know that Atahualpa lives on. He's currently a porter at Heathrow.
                It's only Tupac who's dead. Shot in Las Vegas by some coward in the late 90's.
                Wes'Coast!

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

• Ben writes:

"I'm only saying it would be odd if the gentleman in question changed his tune from a rather cautious and lukewarm "cannot be ruled out" to something altogether more Toppy-endorsing in the interval elapsing between your first post to me this morning and my post querying it."

He did not change his tune at all, Ben. In fact, when he first said that it could hardly be ruled out, he made use of the Swedish word "knappast" in a fashion that is easy to read for a Swede - but perhaps not for you. For example, if somebody asks a Swede "Are you going to do this?" and receives the answer "knappast", then it is not indicative of a possibility that the second person will do whatever it was - "knappast" is a way to say "no way" with a twist of irony. Therefore, what Leander first said: "Det kan knappast uteslutas att...." - "It can hardly be ruled out that..." goes a long way to tell us that Leander never would rule out the possibility.
                  It is much the same as he says in the next mail, therefore: There is far too much of a likeness to discard it.

But will you get this? Knappast....

No matter which way you twist and turn things, Leander has been pretty firm throughout in his opinion that the likeness is an obvious one, and that we therefore must accept that Toppy and the police witness may well have been one and the same.

I fully concur with Leander, and my own perception from the outset is that there is no sensible reason not to realize that Toppy in all probability was the witness. There are a good deal of unsensible reasons to do so, obviously, but I prefer not to engage in them. My conclusion is that Toppy was the Dorset Street witness, simple as that, and the only useful thing to do when one finds this established to a very satisfying degree is to move on. Which is what I´m doing, leaving the "Hutch was Fleming in disguise"-bit to those who feel that it is a funny little game to play. Ally has sensibly reminded me that there comes a time to quit, and what time could be better than this, having provided the thread with the expert statement all were crying out for - but some could not stomach.

Bye, bye, Ben!

Fisherman
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Ally has sensibly reminded me that there comes a time to quit, and what time could be better than this, having provided the thread with the expert statement all were crying out for - but some could not stomach.
                    That Toppy "cannot be ruled out" as the witness.

Good point. I don't think he should be ruled out either, despite my not considering him a very likely candidate.

Thanks for sharing his views with us.

Bye, Fish.

Ben

Comment

The problem with the Nazca lines was that the author wanted us to believe his story.

"Wanted us to believe his story..."
                      Hey, wait, that reminds me of...?
                      What a *** was his name...?
                      Hutch...?
                      Toppy...?
                      Or was it Reg ?

Amitiés all.
                      Last edited by DVV; 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• What a nutty thread. What a bunch of crazy people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Which is what I´m doing, leaving the "Hutch was Fleming in disguise"-bit to those who feel that it is a funny little game to play. Ally has sensibly reminded me that there comes a time to quit, and what time could be better than this, having provided the thread with the expert statement all were crying out for - but some could not stomach.

Bye, bye, Ben!

Fisherman
                          oh no......dont lets start saying that Fleming is now Hutch in disguise dont even go there guys

Comment

• Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
                            oh no......dont lets start saying that Fleming is now Hutch in disguise dont even go there guys
                            Hi Malcolm,
                            No ?
                            And why not ?
                            And it's not about Fleming being NOW Hutch in disguise.
                            The suggestion has been made years ago.
                            By someone who is, to say the least, a very "down-to-earth" poster, and far more knowledgeable than I am.
                            And there were, and still are, I believe, rather strong arguments to think so. Or at least to suggest so. This has nothing to do with crazy theories such as...too many examples.
                            Several elements in Fleming's biography make him a far more likely Hutch than Toppy. Obviously.
                            Unfortunately, no known samples of Fleming's handwriting so far...

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

• Good Morning Thread...

A couple of things..

A:

Standard letters, from a contemporary instruction book.

B:

What to do if nobody takes any notice of A.
                              Last edited by Admin; 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• LOL that definately belongs on this thread Crystal.
                                I dread to think how many times people have been banging their heads on desks or walls over all this.

Comment

Working...
                                X