Hutchinsons statement....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    We do not know when Hutchinson found out about Kelly having been killed.
    Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    The part in bold above is what I'm addressing Fisherman, the murder was published in a handful of local papers on Fri, no less than 14 papers that had London distribution on Saturday, and the coverage continued Sun through Monday. Even if he was still in Romford, or Hartford Connecticut for that matter, he could not have avoided hearing about the murder in Millers Court. Its this fact that puts substantial doubt upon his whole story....why would someone who claimed to be a friend of someone who was horribly mutilated on Friday not come forward until 4 days later? If he was afraid too...then why did he come forward at all?
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    As Michael suggests, it would have been practically impossible for anyone in Britain not to have heard of the Miller's Court murder, never mind someone who lived barely a three-minute walk away.

Hutchinson would had to have been in a coma not to have learned of it immediately.
    Gentlemen, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
    Of course Hutchinson knew that Mary Kelly had been murdered, what no-one knew, except her killer was, when she was murdered.

Just dealing with the Saturday press alone we can learn what the public must have believed about when the murder took place.
    - The Croydon Advertiser suggested "the body was not there at 9:00 am".
    - The Daily News admits, "Strictly speaking.......nobody knows", yet they further report late morning sightings of Kelly alive at 8:00 am by Maurice Lewis, and again about 10:00 am in the Ringers, by an unknown woman. Plus, an interview with Mrs Maxwell who claimed to have met Kelly about 8:30 Friday morning.
    - The Morning Advertiser even reported, "Kelly....it is believed was killed between 8:00 and 10:30 Friday morning."
    - The Star repeat the Friday morning sightings of Kelly at 8:00 am and 10:00 am.
    - The Times also repeat the same Friday morning sightings at 8:00 and 10:00 am.

So, the popular press, and as a result, the reading public, which may well include Hutchinson, were well aware of the prevailing belief that Mary Kelly had been seen alive as late as 10:00 am Friday morning.

Hutchinson met Kelly about 2:00 am, leaving Dorset street one hour later - 3:00 am.
    What conceivable use was his statement to the police when Kelly had apparently been murdered as much as seven hours later?
    It only stands to reason he would not feel compelled to go to the police.

However, although there was no resolution towards the time of death at the inquest, it would appear the Star reporter was present for Cox's testimony, and concluded she had seen the victim with her murderer.
    The reporter then heard the beginning of Prater's testimony, but left the court and immediately went to press that afternoon/early evening with a paragraph entitled, The Murderer Described, which detailed Cox's testimony.
    Did the Star early edition hit the streets before 6:00 pm?

Hutchinson knew that this conclusion was wrong, which may be the reason he decided to go to police and tell his story.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      Gentlemen, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
      Of course Hutchinson knew that Mary Kelly had been murdered, what no-one knew, except her killer was, when she was murdered.

Just dealing with the Saturday press alone we can learn what the public must have believed about when the murder took place.
      - The Croydon Advertiser suggested "the body was not there at 9:00 am".
      - The Daily News admits, "Strictly speaking.......nobody knows", yet they further report late morning sightings of Kelly alive at 8:00 am by Maurice Lewis, and again about 10:00 am in the Ringers, by an unknown woman. Plus, an interview with Mrs Maxwell who claimed to have met Kelly about 8:30 Friday morning.
      - The Morning Advertiser even reported, "Kelly....it is believed was killed between 8:00 and 10:30 Friday morning."
      - The Star repeat the Friday morning sightings of Kelly at 8:00 am and 10:00 am.

So, the popular press, and as a result, the reading public, which may well include Hutchinson, were well aware of the prevailing belief that Mary Kelly had been seen alive as late as 10:00 am Friday morning.

Hutchinson met Kelly about 2:00 am, leaving Dorset street one hour later - 3:00 am.
      What conceivable use was his statement to the police when Kelly had apparently been murdered as much as seven hours later?
      It only stands to reason he would not feel compelled to go to the police.

However, although there was no resolution towards the time of death at the inquest, it would appear the Star reporter was present for Cox's testimony, and concluded she had seen the victim with her murderer.
      The reporter then heard the beginning of Prater's testimony, but left the court and immediately went to press that afternoon/early evening with a paragraph entitled, The Murderer Described, which detailed Cox's testimony.
      Did the Star early edition hit the streets before 6:00 pm?

Hutchinson knew that this conclusion was wrong, which may be the reason he decided to go to police and tell his story.
      Of course this may have had a impact, Jon. But Hutchinson never saw Astrakhan man leave Millers Court, so for all Hutch knew, he could have seen the killer, right?

And yes, Hutchinson knew that Mary Kelly had been killed - but when did he find out? I think that must be a relevant factor.

Comment

That was still no excuse for not coming forward. Besides, the news would have been rife on the streets around Miller's Court before the papers came out with their confusing stories.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          That was still no excuse for not coming forward. Besides, the news would have been rife on the streets around Miller's Court before the papers came out with their confusing stories.
          That's what "not feeling compelled" means Gareth. His experience pretty much half a day before her presumed death would be of no use to police.
          Last edited by Wickerman; 06-06-2017, 01:50 PM.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Of course this may have had a impact, Jon. But Hutchinson never saw Astrakhan man leave Millers Court, so for all Hutch knew, he could have seen the killer, right?
            Kelly was seen out at 10:00 am Christer, and not with Astrachan.

And yes, Hutchinson knew that Mary Kelly had been killed - but when did he find out? I think that must be a relevant factor.
            That question we will never know the answer to but, the victim was identified as Mary Kelly in the press on Friday, and Saturday.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That's fair comment as far as it goes, but do we know where Hutchinson was over that weekend? What if he went back to Romford? Badham and/or Abberline would surely have asked for an explanation of the delay in coming forward.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Yes, I think it more likely that the second woman referred to is MJK, as much as anything because it was, I believe, unusual for a woman not to be wearing a hat.
                Yes, not wearing a hat in public was an indication of an available woman. Even children were induced into prostitution in the East End, and had to be hatless while street-walking.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Wickerman: Kelly was seen out at 10:00 am Christer, and not with Astrachan.

Well, so it was said. But was Hutchinson aware of these paper reports? There´s no telling.

That question we will never know the answer to but, the victim was identified as Mary Kelly in the press on Friday, and Saturday.

Yes, she was. And all who took part of that information would thus be aware of that. Was Hutchinson amongst them? There can be no telling.

In Hutchinsons press interview, he says "My suspicions were aroused by seeing a man so well dressed, but I had no suspicion that he was the murderer.
                  I don´t know how much can be invested in the statement - but it does not seem to imply that Hutchinson, when finding out about Kellys death, was under the impression that Astrakhan man could not have been the killer.

Then again, it could just be a reaction in retrospect, having been told about Kelly´s demise, pointing to how the man gave no impression on any evil at all.

Whichever way we look at it, there can be no certainties whatsoever.

Comment

Yes, not wearing a hat in public was an indication of an available woman. Even children were induced into prostitution in the East End, and had to be hatless while street-walking.
                    But Nichols, Chapman, Stride and Eddowes all wore hats...?

Comment

• Off to bed now - goodnight, gentlemen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        That's fair comment as far as it goes, but do we know where Hutchinson was over that weekend?
                        He seems to have been in London. After wandering the streets all Friday night, Hutchinson says he gained access to his usual lodgings (Victoria Home) on Saturday. He then says he saw Mr Astrakhan in Petticoat Lane on the Sunday, and to have told his story to a police officer on that same day.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

In Hutchinsons press interview, he says "My suspicions were aroused by seeing a man so well dressed, but I had no suspicion that he was the murderer"

...could just be a reaction in retrospect, having been told about Kelly´s demise, pointing to how the man gave no impression on any evil at all.
                          I tend to think that's what Hutch meant, Fish.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

That's what "not feeling compelled" means Gareth. His experience pretty much half a day before her presumed death would be of no use to police.
                            Her time of death wasn't "presumed" or in any way official at this time. Besides, as I said, the news would have been rife on the streets around Miller's Court well before any of the papers had printed the misleading stories of Mrs Maxwell and Maurice Lewis.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

He seems to have been in London. After wandering the streets all Friday night, Hutchinson says he gained access to his usual lodgings (Victoria Home) on Saturday. He then says he saw Mr Astrakhan in Petticoat Lane on the Sunday, and to have told his story to a police officer on that same day.
                              You're right and I'm kicking myself as I type!
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• I believe I am correct in saying that Hutchinson says that he read of the Kelly murder in the newspaper?

In which case, it seems quite obvious that he would have read a great deal about the murder..statements from locals included. This cannot be disallowed.

However..I ask again. Why is it that it is impossible to find one person well known to Mary Kelly who uttered one word of acknowledging exactly who this Hutchinson fellow was in the aftermath of his statement to the police? Surely, he must have been known to them. He claimed to know Kelly well.

One can make up reasons or presumptions as to why no one said anything about the man. But the fact remains, nobody ever did. This gives me serious doubts as to both his story, his statement and not least, his identity.

But that's just me.

Regards

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X