A New Theory as to the Killer's Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Theory as to the Killer's Identity

Inspired by Pierre, I have this afternoon formulated a new theory and, hey, I think I might or might not have found him. This is placing a terrible burden on me which I need to share with the members of this forum.

I intend to share my theory today but I want to tease you first. So if you want to know my suspect you have to play along.

This is really directed at Pierre so I hope you will have a crack at working it out Pierre. Here is the clue:

The surname of my suspect was included in plain English in at least two of the communications signed "Jack the Ripper" in 1888. Furthermore, my suspect was known to the police, having a criminal record, and was mentioned in correspondence passing between the Home Office and the Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police during the summer of 1888. He also lived in London during the latter part of 1888, having recently been released from prison on licence.

Can you work it out Pierre?

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    Inspired by Pierre, I have this afternoon formulated a new theory and, hey, I think I might or might not have found him. This is placing a terrible burden on me which I need to share with the members of this forum.

I intend to share my theory today but I want to tease you first. So if you want to know my suspect you have to play along.

This is really directed at Pierre so I hope you will have a crack at working it out Pierre. Here is the clue:

The surname of my suspect was included in plain English in at least two of the communications signed "Jack the Ripper" in 1888. Furthermore, my suspect was known to the police, having a criminal record, and was mentioned in correspondence passing between the Home Office and the Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police during the summer of 1888. He also lived in London during the latter part of 1888, having recently been released from prison on licence.

I'm sorry David, I can't help it. Was he bigger than a breadbox?

Jeff

Comment

Hi David,

This isn´t a sociological experiment. It is reality.

But perhaps you are thinking of anyone of these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lqLE6lSWeA

Regards Pierre
      Last edited by Pierre; 11-15-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

The infamous Johnny Dear?!?
        Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
        - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi David,

This isn´t a sociological experiment. It is reality.
          I'm giving you reality Pierre.

Take a look at the attached editorial from The World of 9 November 1887. Do you see what I see?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
            The infamous Johnny Dear?!?
            Nice try, but nope.

Comment

Nice try, but nope.
              A satirical group of so called intellectuals.

Comment

A satirical group of so called intellectuals.
                Ah Pierre you are on the right lines - so close in fact. I knew you would be able to read the metaphorical language in the World.

Whose pseudonym was it?

Comment

Ah Pierre you are on the right lines - so close in fact. I knew you would be able to read the metaphorical language in the World.

Whose pseudonym was it?
                  Pope´s.

Comment

Pope´s.
                    Wow! Yes, you've done it!!!

Comment

Done what?

Comment

For those not quite as smart as Pierre (who, for some reason, originally replied to the wrong post) he has seen that World editorial entitled 'THE NINTH OF NOVEMBER' refers to 'the philosophic genius of Martinus Scriblerus'. And Martinus Scriblerus was a pseudonym used by Alexander Pope.

That Pierre was able to work this out in minutes demonstrates that the metaphorical message being sent out by the World was easily deciphered and can only mean one thing. As Pierre would surely tell you, Alexander Pope was the author of a poem called 'Elegy to the Memory of an Unfortunate Lady'.

That poem contains the lines:

See on these ruby lips the trembling breath,
                        These cheeks now fading at the blast of death
                        :

AND

On all the line a sudden vengeance waits
                        And frequent hearses shall besiege your gates

AND

Then from his closing eyes thy form shall part,
                        And the last pang shall tear thee from his heart,
                        Life's idle business at one gasp be o'er,
                        The Muse forgot, and thou belov'd no more!

'Unfortunate' was, of course, a way of describing a prostitute. The meaning of the World's editorial from 9 November 1887 is therefore perfectly clear: In exactly one year's time, on 9 November 1888, a prostitute will die!

Unfortunate is a play on words, meaning both a prostitute and unfortunate lady (unfortunate because she will be unfortunately murdered).

Amazing that the police didn't work it out at the time.

Comment

Well that wasn't hard, all you had to do was google Martinus Scriblerus. What was the question again?

C4

Comment

For those not quite as smart as Pierre (who, for some reason, originally replied to the wrong post) he has seen that World editorial entitled 'THE NINTH OF NOVEMBER' refers to 'the philosophic genius of Martinus Scriblerus'. And Martinus Scriblerus was a pseudonym used by Alexander Pope.

That Pierre was able to work this out in minutes demonstrates that the metaphorical message being sent out by the World was easily deciphered and can only mean one thing. As Pierre would surely tell you, Alexander Pope was the author of a poem called 'Elegy to the Memory of an Unfortunate Lady'.

That poem contains the lines:

See on these ruby lips the trembling breath,
                            These cheeks now fading at the blast of death
                            :

AND

On all the line a sudden vengeance waits
                            And frequent hearses shall besiege your gates

AND

Then from his closing eyes thy form shall part,
                            And the last pang shall tear thee from his heart,
                            Life's idle business at one gasp be o'er,
                            The Muse forgot, and thou belov'd no more!

'Unfortunate' was, of course, a way of describing a prostitute. The meaning of the World's editorial from 9 November 1887 is therefore perfectly clear: In exactly one year's time, on 9 November 1888, a prostitute will die!

Unfortunate is a play on words, meaning both a prostitute and unfortunate lady (unfortunate because she will be unfortunately murdered).

Amazing that the police didn't work it out at the time.
                            And what is the point of the sociological experiment?

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                              Well that wasn't hard, all you had to do was google Martinus Scriblerus. What was the question again?

C4
                              This is getting a little too Masonic for me!

C4

Comment

Working...
                              X