Grenadier or Coldstream Guards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenadier or Coldstream Guards?

In the case of Martha Tabram, it is well documented that her and Pearly Poll picked up a couple of soldiers and that PC Barrett spoke to a soldier in George Yard.

However has it ever been successfully confirmed whether the soldier(s) in question were in fact Grenadier or Coldstream Guards?

The very fact that the soldier PC Barrett saw had no medals, suggests a recently recruited soldier as both the Grenadiers and the Coldstream had been involved in the Egypt Campaign around the 1885 period. The white band, mentioned by Poll on the hat suggests Coldstream, interesting that PC Barrett didn't mention the band colouring worn by the soldier that he spoke to, but did pick up on the good conduct stripe? Also it is interesting that Poll makes no mention of her Corporal friend wearing any medals which he almost certainly would have had, but did pick up on the band colouring?

Has anyone got any thoughts?

I think based on Tom Westcott's recent research on Poll and her claims, I think we all have to re-evaluate our previous beliefs on what happened that night, and the likelyhood that the story of the soldiers was completely fabricated.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
      In the case of Martha Tabram, it is well documented that her and Pearly Poll picked up a couple of soldiers and that PC Barrett spoke to a soldier in George Yard.

However has it ever been successfully confirmed whether the soldier(s) in question were in fact Grenadier or Coldstream Guards?

The very fact that the soldier PC Barrett saw had no medals, suggests a recently recruited soldier as both the Grenadiers and the Coldstream had been involved in the Egypt Campaign around the 1885 period. The white band, mentioned by Poll on the hat suggests Coldstream, interesting that PC Barrett didn't mention the band colouring worn by the soldier that he spoke to, but did pick up on the good conduct stripe? Also it is interesting that Poll makes no mention of her Corporal friend wearing any medals which he almost certainly would have had, but did pick up on the band colouring?

I wasn't aware soldiers out on-the-town for a booze-up wore their medals.

I have read though that soldiers would often switch tunics in order to confuse any witnesses should they get into a spot of bother that night.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post

usually I would go with the cop, but Poll spent a lot of time with them. But they both screwed the ID up royally so who knows?

Still probably lean towrd the cop though and think Leary and Law deserve more looking into.

I definitely think that someone in the military, or posing as military, or former military had something to do with her murder, ripper or not.

Comment

After reading Tom's book, I'd agree that Pearly Poll was too unreliable to be a credible witness. And she's the only one who claim there were soldiers involved.
          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

About the soldier seen by the policeman, I find it a bit strange that he was waiting for his colleague who went with a girl. I mean, to me, it hints that the soldiers might not have been "local" since the garrisons were close by, and that could explain why the police officer couldn't identify him in local military places.

Just a hunch, though.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, some very valid points made!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                usually I would go with the cop, but Poll spent a lot of time with them. But they both screwed the ID up royally so who knows?

Still probably lean towrd the cop though and think Leary and Law deserve more looking into.

I definitely think that someone in the military, or posing as military, or former military had something to do with her murder, ripper or not.
                Was Leary's story ever checked out? His name is so similar to the Pinchin graffiti and the name Arnold used when he reported he was told of a murder by a PC/Soldier.

Comment

Working...
                X