Did the Seaside Home ID happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post

I made no mention of The Definitive Story. None whatsoever. It’s you that keeps banging on about it as though it is the subject of this thread.
    Excuse me you made direct reference to my documentary claiming it features Kate Eddows in the Ten Bells which it clearly does NOT

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
      Who said I’d provided a direct FBI quotation? Not me, that’s for sure. I paraphrased the definition of the blitz attack as accepted within the criminological paradigm. The FBI definition states that the blitz attack involves no precrime interaction between offender and victim.
      Thats not the quote you gave. You gave a quote that clearly said 'Little'

If that is the case Hazelwoods quotations would be correct

Your now claiming it says Non what so ever, so your basically making it up as you go along.

Perhaps making you mind up which might be useful and being specific on our sources will make what you are trying to argue coherent

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
        As I've pointed out several times now, the distance between the place the victim was seen with the possible killer and the murder spot are a matter of feet…

The place Chapman was murdered is now open on a Sunday so you can pace it out

Yours Jeff
        But even if Mrs Long's evidence is considered reliable- and it's somewhat undermined by Cadosch's testimony- we can't assume that the man and woman that she saw had only just met. All we can say is that she first encountered them when they were outside on the pavement.

In fact, if Chapman was soliciting, and that is the reason they entered 29 Hanbury Street, I would consider it extremely unlikely that they had just met; unless Chapman had been waiting outside the address, I.e kerb crawling, for potential clients but, if that were the case, why were there no other sightings? I mean, Albert Cadodch should definitely have seen her when he went outside at 5:15. And if Chapman wasn't soliciting, then why did she enter 29 Hanbury Street with her killer?
        Last edited by John G; 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• "In criminological terms the blitz attack is one where in there is little to no interaction between the offender and victim prior to violence taking place."

"Indeed, in many cases first contact between the victim and assailant is the attack. It is ferocious, unremitting and often results in the most appalling of injuries."

I thought I'd re-post exactly what Garry has been arguing for the last few days just incase he decides to try and move the goal post. If this is the FBi definition as he was apparently arguing up until today then it simply leaves room for Hazelwood opinion to fit that of a 'Blitz' attacker.

If he's now claiming that this is the wrong quote and the FBi don't allow for the words 'Little' and in the later 'in many case' (Caveates of course) then surely his new quotes are going to be in contradiction to the ones he has until now been purporting?

"Yes, I’ve seen some of your TV output, including the programme in which you contacted the spirit of Kate Eddowes in the cellar of the Ten Bells. Gripping stuff. Especially the bit where ‘Kate’ revealed the name of her killer."

I again reproduce the quote where he directly claims that the Definitive Story has Kate in the Ten Bells and reveals the name of the killer… Either a pack of lies of course or Gary has simply not watched my TV output and is confusing me with someone else. If he's making the mistake i believe he is its also a good time to say that I have never worked for a production company called Antix...

Yours Jeff
          Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 06-03-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
            But even if Mrs Long's evidence is considered reliable- and it's somewhat undermined by Cadosch's testimony- we can't assume that the man and woman that she saw had only just met. All we can say is that she first encountered them when they were outside on the pavement.

In fact, if Chapman was soliciting, and that is the reason they entered 29 Hanbury Street, I would consider it extremely unlikely that they had just met; unless Chapman had been waiting outside the address, I.e kerb crawling, for potential clients but, if that were the case, why were there no other sightings? I mean, Albert Cadodch should definitely have seen her when he went outside at 5:15. And if Chapman wasn't soliciting, then why did she enter 29 Hanbury Street with her killer?
            Hi John
            The fact is we can't know for certain how long Jack was with the victims or where they first met. Its speculation.

What I've said is that Hazalwood believes that they were blitz attacks and given the definition Garry has supplied to date he is not contradicting the critia Garyy himself laid out.

I think I personally have been fairly clear that I think its possible for a psychotic killer to make enough conversation with his victim to create the ruse required for that prostitute to go with him.

However I've only ever made the claim that given what is known about Aarons illness and Psychotic Serial killers per ce, he can't be ruled out.

Yours Jeff

Comment

Hi John

Managed to read this, vary interesting. Clearly demonstrates that more research in the area is required and seems to suggest that this is something the FBI are undertaking (Though I expect they are currently busy watching football) I will look forward to further information.

A friend placed this link on schizophrenia my Facebook this morning and it might make interesting reading.

I was shocked by the statistic that more people in the UK die from schizophrenia related causes (Mainly suicide) than die in road traffic accidents. I'm hoping Ereta will understand why I'm very cautious about directly linking people actually suffering from Scizophrenia to any program about Jack the Ripper. While clearly the condition and Aaron Kozminski's symptoms are going to be relevant (The section on sex is interesting) The rarity of such relationships and possible serial killings can't be stressed enough. I certainly think such events are unlikely in a modern world.

Schizophrenia and Dangerous Behaviour It is one of the commonest and most enduring myths around schizophrenia that all people suffering from this condition are violent. In public opinion schizophrenia is most often associated with violence than with any other type of disordered behaviour. This is undoubtedly fed and reinforced by rancorous and ill-informed media reporting […]

Many thanks Jeff

Comment

Hi John

Managed to read this, vary interesting. Clearly demonstrates that more research in the area is required and seems to suggest that this is something the FBI are undertaking (Though I expect they are currently busy watching football) I will look forward to further information.

A friend placed this link on schizophrenia my Facebook this morning and it might make interesting reading.

I was shocked by the statistic that more people in the UK die from schizophrenia related causes (Mainly suicide) than die in road traffic accidents. I'm hoping Ereta will understand why I'm very cautious about directly linking people actually suffering from Scizophrenia to any program about Jack the Ripper. While clearly the condition and Aaron Kozminski's symptoms are going to be relevant (The section on sex is interesting) The rarity of such relationships and possible serial killings can't be stressed enough. I certainly think such events are unlikely in a modern world.

Schizophrenia and Dangerous Behaviour It is one of the commonest and most enduring myths around schizophrenia that all people suffering from this condition are violent. In public opinion schizophrenia is most often associated with violence than with any other type of disordered behaviour. This is undoubtedly fed and reinforced by rancorous and ill-informed media reporting […]

Many thanks Jeff
                Hi Jeff,

Yes, I was very impressed by the Canter article on serial killer classification, which illustrates that, following Hazelwood's pioneering research, this is still a complex and developing area.

Interesting article on schizophrenia, which suggests that whilst evidence indicates that sufferers are significantly more likely to be violent than the general population, attacks against strangers are extremely rare.

Of course, we do not know for certain what Kosminski's mental state was in 1888, and we obviously cannot conclude, with any degree of certainty, that he was suffering from schizophrenia.

I think your reference to Sutcliffe is highly relevant. Of course, he was eventually diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia and, whilst an active serial killer, he claimed to be suffering from depression and hallucinations.

Nonetheless, he was reasonably well organized. For instance, he successfully lured victims into his vehicle, even at the height of the Yorkshire Ripper scare. He also made basic attempts to conceal some of the bodies. And, on one occasion, he had the foresight to realize that he'd made a mistake by giving a victim a brand new banknote, that he'd received as part of is wages. As a consequence, he returned to the scene of crime in order to retrieve it. When it couldn't be found he then adopted the strategy of trying to decapitate the victim, in order to create the impression that she had not been killed by the Yorkshire Ripper. He confessed: "It was my intention to create a mystery about the body."

It's also worth noting that Robert Napper, a paranoid schizophrenic, committed 3 murders- in one case removing body parts as trophies. He is also suspected of being the Green Chain Rapist, who carried out at least 70 attacks over a 4 year period.

What's also extremely interesting about Napper is the fact that, despite suffering from both schizophrenia and Aspergers syndrome, he was in many respects extremely organized. Thus, he planned his attacks in considerable detail, marking locations of foxholes, paths and surveillance spots on maps. In fact, hidden in his home were detailed notes about the targets he stalked, as well as maps of their homes. There were also notes about locations of grates, foxholes, paths and access gates for possible rape sites, surveillance spots or hideaways for his weapons. Police also found hand drawn maps, a London A-Z-with pages marked with black dots highlighting certain areas- and notes on how to restrain someone.

I therefore agree that Kosminski can in no way be ruled out. In fact, since this thread started I've changed my mind about his status: whereas I previously regarded him as a very unlikely suspect, I now regard him as extremely plausible.
                Last edited by John G; 06-04-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Hi John

Many thanks Jeff
                  I have always understood, though I suspect that merely mentioning schizophrenia in relation to the case might be enough to make things difficult. Not in a schizophrenics own mind, but in the minds of "normal" people who think it gives them a pass at making someone's live harder. The perpetually fearful. It's always a tightrope walk, and you walk it as gracefully as you can manage. And how we do that is left to our best judgement. I'm a balanced plate kinda girl. I think that if you present one option you present the other and let people choose. I also know that doing it that way is no guarantee someone doesn't get hurt. I think the best anybody can do is act fairly and honorably and understand that some things are beyond our control, and probably outside of our influence, even if the timing be suspicious.

Our television shows often address such problems with a 90 second PSA at the end. Say, an announcement that schizophrenics are no more likely to be violent, 50 times more likely to commit suicide, but they can recover, they can manage their symptoms, and if you or someone you know needs help call blah blah blah. It's completely a cover your ass thing on the part of the network or the filmmaker, but some good comes from it. We have gotten people in who got our information from calling the number at the end of a program.

The playwright part of me would handle it a different way, but some dramatic shortcuts work for documentaries, and some don't.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Hi Errata and John

Many thanks for your replies.

I certainly believe some of these posts have been very useful. Tackling the subject of schizophrenia is clearly relevant when considering Aaron Kozminski as a suspect, but I think whether he was schizophrenic (Which I clearly believe) the rarity of such people becoming killers is a difficult concept to put across without sounding like you are equating Schizophrenia with Jack the Ripper. I'll certainly be taking this on board.

Clearly I don't see that a psychotic killer would have any problems convincing a prostitute, and as I said before we have no way of knowing how many Jack tried and failed to convince https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaFqw8XnpA

I'm never convinced The Yorkshire Ripper is a great comparison, he's a lot older than Kozminski and in many ways Aaron is more typical, in age and known development. But Schizophrenia alone doesn't tell the whole story, it would have to be seen also in terms of personality disorder and a Catylist.

Hopefully as we discover more about his world and family we can one day make more sense of the ID Swanson tells us about.

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Surely Druitt must be a much better bet.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I was very impressed by the Canter article on serial killer classification, which illustrates that, following Hazelwood's pioneering research, this is still a complex and developing area.

Interesting article on schizophrenia, which suggests that whilst evidence indicates that sufferers are significantly more likely to be violent than the general population, attacks against strangers are extremely rare.

Of course, we do not know for certain what Kosminski's mental state was in 1888, and we obviously cannot conclude, with any degree of certainty, that he was suffering from schizophrenia.

I think your reference to Sutcliffe is highly relevant. Of course, he was eventually diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia and, whilst an active serial killer, he claimed to be suffering from depression and hallucinations.

Nonetheless, he was reasonably well organized. For instance, he successfully lured victims into his vehicle, even at the height of the Yorkshire Ripper scare. He also made basic attempts to conceal some of the bodies. And, on one occasion, he had the foresight to realize that he'd made a mistake by giving a victim a brand new banknote, that he'd received as part of is wages. As a consequence, he returned to the scene of crime in order to retrieve it. When it couldn't be found he then adopted the strategy of trying to decapitate the victim, in order to create the impression that she had not been killed by the Yorkshire Ripper. He confessed: "It was my intention to create a mystery about the body."

It's also worth noting that Robert Napper, a paranoid schizophrenic, committed 3 murders- in one case removing body parts as trophies. He is also suspected of being the Green Chain Rapist, who carried out at least 70 attacks over a 4 year period.

What's also extremely interesting about Napper is the fact that, despite suffering from both schizophrenia and Aspergers syndrome, he was in many respects extremely organized. Thus, he planned his attacks in considerable detail, marking locations of foxholes, paths and surveillance spots on maps. In fact, hidden in his home were detailed notes about the targets he stalked, as well as maps of their homes. There were also notes about locations of grates, foxholes, paths and access gates for possible rape sites, surveillance spots or hideaways for his weapons. Police also found hand drawn maps, a London A-Z-with pages marked with black dots highlighting certain areas- and notes on how to restrain someone.

I therefore agree that Kosminski can in no way be ruled out. In fact, since this thread started I've changed my mind about his status: whereas I previously regarded him as a very unlikely suspect, I now regard him as extremely plausible.
                        Do you think that Druitt must be a much better bet.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                          Do you think that Druitt must be a much better bet.
                          I think that JtR must have had a reasonably strong connection to the Whitechapel area, or at least the East End. As I understand it Druitt had no known connection, which undermines his candidacy. It also seems unlikely to me that he could have played in a cricket match at 11:30 in Blackheath, after murdering Chapman just a few hours earlier. In fact, I'm not sure what evidence there is against him, apart from the fact that his family suspected him.
                          Last edited by John G; 06-04-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Originally posted by John G View Post
                            I think that JtR must have had a reasonably strong connection to the Whitechapel area, or at least the East End. As I understand it Druitt had no known connection, which undermines his candidacy. It also seems unlikely to me that he could have played in a cricket match at 11:30 in Blackheath, after murdering Chapman just a few hours earlier.
                            But sir Melville picked him over Kosminski

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                              But sir Melville picked him over Kosminski
                              Yes, it does seem strange that he favoured Druitt. I mean, the only evidence against him seems to be that his family thought him guilty but so, apparently, did Kosminski's. And, of course, Kosminski at least lived in the local area and was supposedly identified by a witness, although I accept that identification was far from reliable.

Didn't McNaughton claim he was in possession of some private information that pointed to Druitt's guilt?

Comment

Thats not the quote you gave. You gave a quote that clearly said 'Little'
                                Okay, let’s give this one last go.

There was a time when a serialist could be defined as such only when (s)he had committed a minimum of three murders at three separate locations with a significant cooling off period between each individual event. The criterion relating to the number of murders was subsequently reduced from three to two.

The original FBI definition of a blitz attack was one which stipulated no precrime interaction between an offender and victim. As profiling spread about the world it evolved such that the definition was relaxed in order to accommodate obvious blitz attacks in which an offender may have spoken a few words before launching an assault. Thus the ‘little to no precrime interaction’ descriptor was adopted as a general principle within criminology.

That’s how these things work. They evolve over time.

If that is the case Hazelwoods quotations would be correct
                                Okay, have it your way. Let’s trust to the original FBI definition of the blitz attack which allowed for no precrime interaction between the Ripper and his victims. None at all. Not a single word.

Now explain Mrs Long’s account. And what about the Lawende sighting which involved a clear interaction between Eddowes and companion?

On top of this the Hanbury Street and Mitre Square crime scenes were some distance away from where Long and Lawende made their respective sightings. So not only do we have clear evidence of interaction between killer and victim, we have them walking from the locus of initial contact to an entirely different venue.

Demonstrably, you have no understanding of the essence of a blitz attack. If, as you insist, the killer had approached a victim, asked her if she was doing business, then lured her to some secreted area for the purpose of murder, we would not be dealing with a blitz attack. This would be a ruse attack. In other words the killer would have employed deceit rather than an explosion of violence to achieve his aims. But this is what you continue to argue. Your viewpoint, however, is as unsustainable as it is incomprehensible.

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                                "Yes, I’ve seen some of your TV output, including the programme in which you contacted the spirit of Kate Eddowes in the cellar of the Ten Bells. Gripping stuff. Especially the bit where ‘Kate’ revealed the name of her killer."

I again reproduce the quote where he directly claims that the Definitive Story has Kate in the Ten Bells and reveals the name of the killer …
                                Directly claims? You have presented a quotation in which The Definitive Story is not mentioned. Not once. Not even in passing.

… Either a pack of lies of course or Gary has simply not watched my TV output and is confusing me with someone else.
                                I was referring to a trashy TV psychic investigation into the Ripper murders screened (I believed) last year. Kate Eddowes was ‘contacted’ and revealed the name of her killer as Kosminski. The director was one Jeff Leahy.

If I’m confusing you with someone else I apologize unreservedly.

If I’m not, the less said about such garbage the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X