Suspect battle: Cross/Lechmere vs. Hutchinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    But they had the address, and hisplace of work, and I imagine the police had just a little local knowledge.
    Exactly. As I said easily traceable.

Comment

I thought you were talking about local knowledge, when you mentioned local knowledge.

But then I'm easily confused.

Hi GUT,

I'm aware of how easily you become confused. If you follow the explanation below very slowly, it might help you understand what I meant by a 'local knowledge' that might not have been available to the police. Fingers crossed:

Not every H. Div. constable knew the surname of everyone who lived within his jurisdiction, or was aware of the names by which every single child in the area had ever been known... But if they had a momentary memory lapse, all they had to do was look it up on the 1888 version of the PNC.

Oh, ****, PNC didn't exist then! So I suppose it was a case of knocking on doors - but they were pretty good at that, though, weren't they?

Get it?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
        Exactly. As I said easily traceable.
        Indeed. And it would have been even easier for the police to have knocked at a few more doors in Buck's Row to find out whether they had heard Polly's steel-tipped heels clattering along the cobbles - but they didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          Hi GUT,

I'm aware of how easily you become confused. If you follow the explanation below very slowly, it might help you understand what I meant by a 'local knowledge' that might not have been available to the police. Fingers crossed:

Not every H. Div. constable knew the surname of everyone who lived within his jurisdiction, or was aware of the names by which every single child in the area had ever been known... But if they had a momentary memory lapse, all they had to do was look it up on the 1888 version of the PNC.

Oh, ****, PNC didn't exist then! So I suppose it was a case of knocking on doors - but they were pretty good at that, though, weren't they?

Get it?
          Yeah and having his address and place of work wouldn't have helped find him at all.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Indeed. And it would have been even easier for the police to have knocked at a few more doors in Buck's Row to find out whether they had heard Polly's steel-tipped heels clattering along the cobbles - but they didn't.
            No idea what one has to do with the other.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Yeah and having his address and place of work wouldn't have helped find him at all.
              You got me there. Of course, they must have checked him out thoroughly, but decided to stick with the 'false' name he had given them rather than bother to refer to him by his actual name.

Comment

You got me there. Of course, they must have checked him out thoroughly, but decided to stick with the 'false' name he had given them rather than bother to refer to him by his actual name.
                No one said they checked him out, they said he was traceable. Personally I think they did check him out. If you have the complete file you can tell us if his name was recorded.

Oh that's right it's gone.
                G U T

Comment

• It was not a false name.Cross was an alternate name he was legally entitled to use.

Comment

No idea what one has to do with the other.
                    Ah, the old confusion thing again.

THE MET DIDN'T ALWAYS GET IT RIGHT. To Wynne Baxter's surprise they didn't do a house-to-house on Buck's Row, and either they didn't check Lechmere out or they preferred to use a 'nickname' to his actual one.

Comment

• I've so far traced at least three Charles Crosses that are probably relatives of Lechmere's step father. And near enough in age, how do we know one of them wasn't living with him.

And if so what does that do to the theory?
                      G U T

Comment

I've so far traced at least three Charles Crosses that are probably relatives of Lechmere's step father. And near enough in age, how do we know one of them wasn't living with him.

Oh a George as well, (you know the name the paper used).
                        G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                          It was not a false name.Cross was an alternate name he was legally entitled to use.
                          What on earth does 'legally entitled' mean?

His mother had bigamously married a man named Cross.
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 01-15-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I've so far traced at least three Charles Crosses that are probably relatives of Lechmere's step father. And near enough in age, how do we know one of them wasn't living with him.

'At least' 'Probably'?

Presumably all born in Soho - probably?

Comment

'At least' 'Probably'?

Presumably all born in Soho - probably?
                              Yep "at least"

And

"probably"

Mainly because I'm still working on it and won't say definitely till I'm certain, unlike some people who post here.
                              G U T

Comment

Yep "at least"

And

"probably"

Mainly because I'm still working on it and won't say definitely till I'm certain, unlike some people who post here.
                                GUT,

Are you really suggesting that you have an alternative genealogy for Charles Allen Lechmere? One that you would prefer to do a 'Pierre' on rather than state definitely? Good luck with that, mate.

While you're at it, can you dig up some dirt on the Tomkins brothers in Manchester? It might be 'case solved', if you did.

Gary
                                Last edited by MrBarnett; 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X