A Startling Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Startling Revelation

I have long believed that true history can be found in oral traditions, fairy tales, songs.....limerick. I happened through London recently and took a detour through the East End. I popped in a pub or two. Struck up a conversation here, had a debate there. All in all, a wonderful time. Finally, as night fell, I called it a night. I staggered out into the evening, much the worse for drink. I spotted two young lads playing in the street. Carefree boys. Dirty clothes. Dirty faces. I was about to ask for directions and toss them some change when I heard them reciting a poem that sent chills up my spine and brought tears of fright into my drunken eyes. I asked them where they'd heard it. They said that it had been recited 'round those parts for more than a century. They said they didn't know what it meant, and asked me if it made sense to me. I stood there, in silence, afraid to speak, realizing the answer had been there, in front of everyone, for all these years. The boys made their way down the street. I stood alone. Silent. As they disappeared from view, I heard their ancient limerick echo in the distance....

"There once was a man called Lechmere,
    who made his way to work 'round here.
    Polly needed her doss,
    she met Mr. Cross,
    who cut her from her ear to her ear."

True story.......or not.

Pub Talk.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      Pub Talk.

Mike
      Definitely Pub Talk.

Fisherman

Comment

Or creative writing.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Or creative writing.
          Nah - Pub Talk.

Fisherman

Comment

I assume we are talking about this thread, and not the theory, cos...

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thread? Or Theory?

Fiction? Or Fantasy?

You decide.

Comment

I do wish these Lechmere obsessives (the suspect - oops witness - not the poster) would refrain from cluttering up the General Suspect section with these gratuitous Lechmere threads.
                Wouldn't it be possible to start up a Lechmere, or Cross or Crossmere section - in the Witness section naturally.

Comment

Lech. is the Japanese knotweed of theories. Once you've got it, you can't get rid of it, and it pops up everywhere.

Comment

Yes and it will undermine the whole edifice.

Comment

Working...
                    X