The "Suspects": Current Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

least bad

Hello Harry. I agree that Levy is the least bad of a sorry lot. But, besides not believing in all that ripper rot, my main drawback is that he seems to have invited incarceration to preclude doing harm. If so, that is hard to reconcile with his candidacy.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Harry. I agree that Levy is the least bad of a sorry lot. But, besides not believing in all that ripper rot, my main drawback is that he seems to have invited incarceration to preclude doing harm. If so, that is hard to reconcile with his candidacy.

Cheers.
      LC
      Hey Lynn,

I was going to type out a reply, but I think Steve Coogan can sum it up more succinctly.

Comment

Druitts been my favourite for over 30 years
        1,Named by a very high ranking police officer
        2,lived alone
        3,With his family having a medical background he MIGHT have had a basic grasp of human anatomy.
        4,Something was obviously going wrong in his life at the time murders started
        5,lastly the fact he died after poor Mary's murder which I think is a very important thing when considering any suspect. I can't see who ever was doing this waking up one morning cured totally sane and normal.
        Notably one's only one I'm afraid David Cohen.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          It seems more believable in French
          No, it doesn´t.

Fisherman

Comment

P

How does the fact that forensic science was in its infancy influence your opinion that the crimes were not the work of one killer?
            That is the question is was asking.
            Think about it. I would think it's obvious, but I'll spell it out for you. Due to the fact that forensic science was not advanced, it's possible that murders which were committed by multiple killers were attributed to one, "Jack the Ripper". Let's look at Stride. Does it not stand to reason that, had more advanced forensics been available in 1888, it might be possible to determine if she'd been killed by the same hand that killed Nichols, Chapman, and Eddowes?

Comment

Hi Lech

It was Hyams and Levy's appearance in asylum records that brought them to attention - surely. That led to research to place them in the general area which I accepted.
              To be honest Lech I am not sure, you are probably correct, I think also helped was the fact that they were both local and Jewish also.

I was being ironic about the lack of direct evidence placing them in individual streets.
              Fair enough.

Tracy
              It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

How does the fact that forensic science was in its infancy influence your opinion that the crimes were not the work of one killer?
                That is the question is was asking.
                Hi Edward, you beat me to it, I was wondering the same thing.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Hi Lynn

I agree that Levy is the least bad of a sorry lot. But, besides not believing in all that ripper rot, my main drawback is that he seems to have invited incarceration to preclude doing harm. If so, that is hard to reconcile with his candidacy.
                  I am sorry, I am not sure what you mean here, are you on about his incarceration in 1885 or 1890?

Tracy
                  It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Re whether modern forensic techniques would be effective in determining a single or multiple killers in the Whitechapel series of murders of 1888.
                    Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                    Think about it. I would think it's obvious
                    Is it?

Due to the fact that forensic science was not advanced, it's possible that murders which were committed by multiple killers were attributed to one, "Jack the Ripper".
                    You reckon?

Let's look at Stride. Does it not stand to reason that, had more advanced forensics been available in 1888, it might be possible to determine if she'd been killed by the same hand that killed Nichols, Chapman, and Eddowes?
                    No, it doesn't stand to reason, not by my reasoning anyway. How do you work that one out? You havn't supplied a reason why the above applies. Don't leave us in the dark.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                      Re whether modern forensic techniques would be effective in determining a single or multiple killers in the Whitechapel series of murders of 1888.

Is it?

You reckon?

No, it doesn't stand to reason, not by my reasoning anyway. How do you work that one out? You havn't supplied a reason why the above applies. Don't leave us in the dark.

Regards

Observer
                      I wonder if you understand that in 1888 crimes labs did not exist. Not in London. Not on planet Earth. Dr. Edmond Locard established the first in Lyon, in 1910. Did you think that advanced forensic techniques were being applied in East End mortuary sheds?

Still, I'll give a few examples:

First would be in the area of analyzing the wounds. Modern knife wound analysis can more accurately identify relative details regarding the knife used in the death and the infliction of the wound. Modern pathologists can identify the track marks the knife leaves when it is thrust into the body.

From the Foresic Panel, Michael Welner, M.D., Chairman:

"Even if an exact match cannot be made, it is always possible to determine whether a particular knife is compatible with a distinct stab-wound. Wound analysis allows a pathologist to determine the location, size, borders and pattern of the injury; the orientation on the skin’s surface; the thrust of the perpetrator; and whether the wounds are consistent with defensive actions."

Obviously these details can help investigators identify the position of both the killer and victim and if it fits the MO, pattern, etc. of similar crimes. Also, this science has obviously evolved since 1888, I 'reckon'.

Toolmark analysis. Heard of it? It wasn't applied in 1888. So, I 'reckon' it bears mentioning. From the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology:

"Tool mark analysis is a method of matching a weapon with the injury it caused. In a homicidal stabbing using a serrated knife, a stab wound that involves a cartilage may leave striations from the serration points on the blade edge. Assessing tissue striations is a means of identifying the weapon as having a serrated blade. This prospective study examines the possibility that similar striations may be produced in human soft tissues. Using tissues taken at the time of hospital-consented autopsies, stab wound tracks were assessed in a variety of human tissues (aorta, skin, liver, kidney, and cardiac and skeletal muscle). Stab wounds were produced postmortem with similar serrated and smooth-edged blades. The walls of the stab wounds were exposed, documented by photography and cast with dental impression material. Striations were identified by naked-eye examination in the skin and aorta. Photodocumentation of fresh tissue was best achieved in the aorta. Striations were not identified in wound tracks produced by the smooth-edged blade. Three blinded forensic pathologists were assessed for their ability to detect striations in photographs of wound tracks and had substantial interobserver agreement (κ = 0.76) identifying striations. This study demonstrates that tool mark striations can be present in some noncartilaginous human tissues."

I could literally post examples all day. I'd rather not.
                      Last edited by Patrick S; 07-02-2014, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Tji
                        My guess is Hyams and Levy popped out of the asylum registers as East End Jewish Nutcases.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                          Hi Edward, you beat me to it, I was wondering the same thing.

Regards

Observer
                          Lastly, I'm not of the opinion that the crimes were committed by more than one killer. It's naive to think that the science existed to even determine such a thing. I think it's reasonable to entertain the idea that there was more than one killer and it would be foolish to absolve a suspect because he he had an alibi for one killing.

I'm not sure how this idea further damages the already paper thin theory connecting Lechmere to the murders. Perhaps it's simply more fun to think of Lechmere as Jack the Ripper, killer of 5 to 7 women, rather than just one or two. To be fair to the man's memory, he clearly didn't kill anyone. That's obvious to all but three or four people posting on this board.

Comment

If it wasn't Jacob Levy behind the murders, who I currently believe is the strongest contender we have out of all named suspects, then the gang theory works for me. We already know there were gangs operating in the area that terrorized prostitutes. Emma Smith was attacked and killed by one, and Martha Tabram probably likewise. Just because the MO changed for the following murders doesn't mean that they weren't gang hits. As for why they were mutilating the victims and stealing their uteri, apparently there was an American Doctor offering a pretty penny for them. Two birds, one stone?

Comment

long time

Hello TJ. Thanks.

"I am sorry, I am not sure what you mean here, are you on about his incarceration in 1885 or 1890?"

Not sure. Whichever you wrote about. I seem to recall that he was worried he would hurt someone. Of course, it was a good bit ago I read your fine article.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

"Until we meet again and the case is solv-ED' "

Hello Patrick. Wonder what would have happened had that same technology been applied to Kate's demise?

Perhaps the case would be solv-ED'?

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X