Sir Robert Anderson's sixth victim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Robert Anderson's sixth victim

I was reading the thread 'take your pick' concerning who Anderson's witness at the seaside home identification might have been. It caused me to go back and read some of Sir Robert Anderson's memoirs (the lighter side of my official life). It might be this is a well known issue by casebook members, but I was surprised when reading that Anderson states there were six victims, not the usual canonical five. He does not name the victims, so it is not clear who the sixth victim is, other than it was before Mary Ann Nichols' murder. Is he the only police official to go beyond the canonical five and do we know who his sixth victim was?

Extract to which I refer below - my comments in italics:
    But this was not all. The second of the crimes known as the Whitechapel murders was committed the night before I took office (which was the night of Mary Ann Nichols murder), and the third occurred the night of the day on which I left London (the night of Annie Chapman's murder). The newspapers soon began to comment on my absence. And letters from Whitehall decided me to spend the last week of my holiday in Paris, that I might be in touch with my office. On the night of my arrival in the French capital two more victims fell to the knife of the murder-fiend (Liz Stride and Catherine Eddowes); and next day's post brought me an urgent appeal from Mr. Matthews to return to London ; and of course I complied.
    (He later address the Mary Jane Kelly murder)

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    I was reading the thread 'take your pick' concerning who Anderson's witness at the seaside home identification might have been. It caused me to go back and read some of Sir Robert Anderson's memoirs (the lighter side of my official life). It might be this is a well known issue by casebook members, but I was surprised when reading that Anderson states there were six victims, not the usual canonical five. He does not name the victims, so it is not clear who the sixth victim is, other than it was before Mary Ann Nichols' murder. Is he the only police official to go beyond the canonical five and do we know who his sixth victim was?

But this was not all. The second of the crimes known as the Whitechapel murders was committed the night before I took office (which was the night of Mary Ann Nichols murder), and the third occurred the night of the day on which I left London (the night of Annie Chapman's murder). The newspapers soon began to comment on my absence. And letters from Whitehall decided me to spend the last week of my holiday in Paris, that I might be in touch with my office. On the night of my arrival in the French capital two more victims fell to the knife of the murder-fiend (Liz Stride and Catherine Eddowes); and next day's post brought me an urgent appeal from Mr. Matthews to return to London ; and of course I complied.

I think it's reasonable to posit that Martha Tabram is Anderson's sixth victim. Although the wounds on her were different, every other box is ticked with regards to similarities to ol Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

I think it's reasonable to posit that Martha Tabram is Anderson's sixth victim. Although the wounds on her were different, every other box is ticked with regards to similarities to ol Jack.
      That would be my first guess. I have been looking back at some police officials view of who should be counted as a victim of the Whitechapel murderer and there is of course some variation between them. I had always thought though, wrongly it seems, that Anderson signed up to the canonical five, and that was in my mind when reading the take your pick thread. But if Anderson thought there were six, does that change anything?

Comment

That would be my first guess. I have been looking back at some police officials view of who should be counted as a victim of the Whitechapel murderer and there is of course some variation between them. I had always thought though, wrongly it seems, that Anderson signed up to the canonical five, and that was in my mind when reading the take your pick thread. But if Anderson thought there were six, does that change anything?
        I give very little credence to McNaughten's canonical five. The man was a desk jockey who wasn't even on the force when the Ripper was doing his thing. IMHO, Jack killed at least 5, probably 6, and a strong argument can be made for not counting Liz Stride as a Ripper victim.

Comment

I think that Tabram is the likely candidate as Anderson’s 6th but I’m certain that he never made it clear who he meant. If I was asked how many Jack killed I think that the fairest that I could say would be between 4 and 7. With the question marked ones being Tabram, Stride and Mackenzie. Saying that, Coles is a tricky one. The time gap introduces a doubt but if we can suggest Stride as an interrupted throat-cutting then why can’t we allow the same for Coles? Granted the murder of Eddowes minutes later adds to the suggestion of it being a ripper murder. And then…when do we stop attributing any female throat-cutting murder as “one of Jack’s.”
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            I think that Tabram is the likely candidate as Anderson’s 6th but I’m certain that he never made it clear who he meant. If I was asked how many Jack killed I think that the fairest that I could say would be between 4 and 7. With the question marked ones being Tabram, Stride and Mackenzie. Saying that, Coles is a tricky one. The time gap introduces a doubt but if we can suggest Stride as an interrupted throat-cutting then why can’t we allow the same for Coles? Granted the murder of Eddowes minutes later adds to the suggestion of it being a ripper murder. And then…when do we stop attributing any female throat-cutting murder as “one of Jack’s.”
            Thanks Herlock - it was the thread you started 'take your pick' that sent me looking at just what Anderson said. The reason I thought the sixth victim might be important once I realised Anderson did not restrict himself to the canonical five, is how that impacts the question you asked about Anderson's witness. Might it be related to the sixth victim? If Martha Tabram is the sixth - might it be pearly poll for instance (no it couldn't for other reasons, not least she was not jewish). I don't think it does add to the cast of possibles for the witness but it sent me down that rabbit hole.

Comment

Thanks Herlock - it was the thread you started 'take your pick' that sent me looking at just what Anderson said. The reason I thought the sixth victim might be important once I realised Anderson did not restrict himself to the canonical five, is how that impacts the question you asked about Anderson's witness. Might it be related to the sixth victim? If Martha Tabram is the sixth - might it be pearly poll for instance (no it couldn't for other reasons, not least she was not jewish). I don't think it does add to the cast of possibles for the witness but it sent me down that rabbit hole.

There’s always an interesting tangent to look at Eten and you never know, along one of these tangents might be something that we’ve all missed so far.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I would think Andersen must be referring to Tabram as his 6th victim. He refers to Nichols as the 2nd and Chapman's the 3rd, and Tabram's murder is the only other similar murder prior to Nichols. Smith's murder, while horrific, is of quite a different nature, in that she reports being attacked by a group of men, and she died from injuries that may not have been intended to kill her, while Tabram was clearly intended to be murdered.

Also, he refers to them as the "Whitechapel murders", and so those are the cases in the file, not necessarily the ones he thinks are linked by a common hand. If so, he appears to have forgotten about the Smith case.

We know he doesn't think all of the Whitechapel murder cases were committed by JtR, as he discounts McKenzie, referring to it as a common murder and not one by a sexual maniac. Many years ago, due to discussions that were then on going, I put together a bit looking at questions around the broken pipe that Andersen mentions in one quote about lost clues. Part of his quote implies he means the pipe found in Mary Kellys Room, and so this quote was being used to implicate Barnett as a suspect. While the main issue surrounding the pipe is tangential to this, I had a re-read of it just now because the thread reminded me of it as the article also involves the McKenzie murder and whether or not Andersen included her as a JtR victim. I was curious to go back and see what I said back then. And unsurprisingly, issues of memory, and so forth, were as important then as now. Regardless, I had also ended up concluding that Andersen excluded McKenzie even though aspects around the pipe exploration could lead one to conclude the opposite.

- Jeff

Comment

Nice find.

MeNaughton's views were anything but universal.

* Reid thought there were 9 victims killed between 1888 and 1892. That appears to dismiss Kosminki and definitely dismissed Druitt. In 1912 he said nobody knew who the Ripper was, specifically dismissing all of McNaughton's suspects.
                  * Arnold though there were only 4 victims.
                  * Dew thought that Emma Smith and Martha Tabram were Ripper victims. He had no suspect.​

Most other police did not say how many victims they thought there were.
                  "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Working...
                  X