• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Amendment 7

Gull > 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 = 2

Changes

In line with suggestions from Jeff

Changed Druitt’s location from 2 to 1

Changed Sickert’s location from 1 to 0

Changed Gull’s age/physical score from 1 to 0
    I agree with the changes - If Gull doesn't rate a 0 age/physical score, nobody does.

On hatred on women, I think Gull should get lower than a zero. No only is there no evidence of misogyny, he actively supported women joining a medical profession, donating money and speaking publicly to support a scholarship for women doctors,

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

I agree with the changes - If Gull doesn't rate a 0 age/physical score, nobody does.

On hatred on women, I think Gull should get lower than a zero. No only is there no evidence of misogyny, he actively supported women joining a medical profession, donating money and speaking publicly to support a scholarship for women doctors,
      Personally I think that Gull should dwell in the same category as Lewis Carrol and Prince Eddy as there is nothing to remotely connect him to the murders accept an old man’s story that contained so many falsehoods that it can’t even be considered remotely reliable.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

accept an old man’s story that contained so many falsehoods that it can’t even be considered remotely reliable

Now why that does sound familiar.. ?!

Ah yes.. time for another cup of tea.

The Baron
        Last edited by The Baron; 05-30-2024, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post

Now why that does sound familiar.. ?!

Ah yes.. time for another cup of tea.

The Baron
          I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about but what I do notice is that you couldn’t answer my previous post to you. Just in case you missed it, here it is again.

I tell you what Baron, based on the criteria that I openly and very clearly stated at the beginning, please point out to me where I’ve been biased in favour of Druitt. If you can’t ….. and you won’t be able to….id suggest that you post on non-Druitt-related threads as all mention of him clearly upsets you so much thatyou lose all sense of balance.

And btw you never answered when I asked why you think it so important to keep mentioning that Macnaghten had a different job before he joined the Met? I’ll save you the trouble because we all know the answer - because your favoured suspect, Kosminski, is also reliant on someone that had a different job before he became a high ranking police officer. I’m talking about Anderson of course. But clearly in your ‘unbiased’ world there appears to be one rule for Anderson and another for Macnaughten​
          Another chance for you to duck and dodge.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
            Just been rereading this thread and wondering what some people have against Druitt as a suspect but then somehow favour Kosminski as if the opinions of the police about Druitt count for nothing but then a frankly **** and bull story about an alleged I.D. parade by the police carries great weight. Plus we don't even know that we have the right man pegged as Kosminski. Note I don't think either Druitt or Kosminski were the Ripper and I rate them both about the same as suspects. Somewhere between Sickert who I think it highly unlikely as the Ripper and Bury who I rate as the top suspect.
            Hi John,

There was someone posting here a few months ago that often commented on Kosminski's weakness as suspect, sometimes when it didn't have much to do with the subject at hand.

There are some reasons why one could view Aaron Kosminski as a stronger suspect than Druitt. For one, AK lived in the area, and Druitt didn't, so AK would have had more opportunities to roam the streets, and more opportunity to have the familiarity with the Whitechapel streets and alleys that it seems that The Ripper would have needed to have.

For those who believe that Alice McKenzie was a Ripper victim, AK could have killed her, but Druitt couldn't have.

My sense is that Macnaughten didn't feel certain that Druitt was The Ripper, he merely thought that Druitt was the strongest suspect. Anderson, on the other hand, felt certain, said the case had been solved. So both were the favored suspect of a policeman, but Anderson favored his suspect more strongly. I agree with your point, however, that we don't know for sure that Aaron Kosminski was Anderson's suspect.

I agree that both are stronger suspects than Sickert, but not as strong as Bury, but for me, there are a lot of suspects that would fall in that range.

Comment

Amendment 7

Changes

In line with suggestions from Jeff

Changed Druitt’s location from 2 to 1

Changed Sickert’s location from 1 to 0

Changed Gull’s age/physical score from 1 to 0
              Hi Herlock,

Ah, I had originally made a mistake and had age and location scores mixed up, but the changes you've made I think work well and seem in keeping with the intention of the scoring system. On the whole, I think it does a pretty good job of ordering suspects, so well done.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Hi Herlock,

Ah, I had originally made a mistake and had age and location scores mixed up, but the changes you've made I think work well and seem in keeping with the intention of the scoring system. On the whole, I think it does a pretty good job of ordering suspects, so well done.

- Jeff
                Thanks Jeff,

No list or poll is going to give us the likeliest ripper of course but I just wanted to be able to get a view of what type of person might be the likeliest and then comparing the criteria against the named suspects. No major surprises I don’t think. Although of the top 20 the one that I wouldn’t have expected to have made it is Barnado.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thanks Jeff,

No list or poll is going to give us the likeliest ripper of course but I just wanted to be able to get a view of what type of person might be the likeliest and then comparing the criteria against the named suspects. No major surprises I don’t think. Although of the top 20 the one that I wouldn’t have expected to have made it is Barnado.
                  I agree, and I wouldn't suggest this produces a list that could be viewed as a "probability of being JtR", rather just a comparison of suspects on some ideas that seem related to the case. Those harder to place in London clearly have "some explaining to do" by those who put them forth, so that makes them weaker fits. Higher scores are just easier stories to tell - it isn't hard to suggest Burry was violent given his wife's murder, for example, but for those with no known history of violence does make one pause and wonder. In a way, this could be viewed as who is it easier to argue for rather than who is more probable ( since none of the items is actually evidence of any involvement in the JtR murders).

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Yes, it’s clear. That’s not the point, rather, the idea that Abberline was somehow well informed about Druitt is proven to be questionable.
                    “I know all about that story” - he clearly does not.
                    Yes but the fact remains the body of Montague J''Druitt'' that which was pulled from the Thames is what Abberline the man who was in charge of the entire investigation was clearly saying when he gave his interview. ''But there is absolutely nothing beyond the fact that he was found at that time to incriminate him.

Comment

• And again…when the MM appeared Abberline had been retired for two years. He’d heard of the suspect but how would he have known about Macnaghten’s private info? All that Abberline was doing was commenting on limited information.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Because I took Jeff’s advice and changed the criteria to:

7. Medical/anatomical knowledge/(including slaughterman and butcher

- yes = 1, no = 0

Its the same for everyone.
                        Well it is your thread and your scoring sytem, and you indeed have that option. However given the very nature of the crimes and the near certainty that the Ripper had a degree medical skill ,i think thats a poor move to have Medical Knowledge lumped in with a lowly slaughterman/ butcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post

Maybe if you wait a little more Fishy you will see Druitt gets some 10+ points and Gull will be at 0 to 1 point

That is how our unbiased minds work!

You can keep adding categories that suit your favourite suspect, and ignore facts that support your less favourite suspects, give extra points here and less points there..

It is more like a heavily biased game at best.

The Baron
                          Ive voiced my concerned on the matter with him .

Comment

Please stop wasting my time Fishy. I’m tired of constantly proving you wrong. I’m not interested in what you gave to say on this subject. Ask ANYONE else (apart from The Baron) if they think that I’ve been biased on this thread. Ask them….see what they say.

I don’t duck questions….ever. If I miss one by mistake I’ll reply when it’s pointed out. And when I make a point I give my thinking behind it and the evidence that it’s based on. I don’t just say ‘I’ve explained it’ and expect someone to wade through numerous threads and hundreds of posts trying to find something that I haven’t said in the first place. You just keep ruining threads by starting arguments. Thread after thread after thread. And I keep getting drawn in. I’m not getting drawn in here.

Hey its your time Herlock ,you should manage it better if you feel that way . Another Herlock misconseption, that somehow you actually prove ''My opinions'' wrong, which of coure is untrue. Enough said , Richardson and Jfk can attest to all the above is far from accurate, there your achillies heel in many, many ways . Time to move on .

Comment

Exactly. If a 71 year old man who had 3 strokes isn’t an unlikely in the extreme ripper then who is? He’s only mentioned in regard to a crazy theory involving Royalty and the Freemasons. And yet a physically fit, 31 year old son of a surgeon whose mother is committed to an asylum weeks before the first murder and who killed himself just after the Kelly murder and is mentioned as a likely suspect by the Chief Constable of the Met, is somehow a non-starter. Where’s the sense of balance?

Of course, from what we know of him he sounds an unlikely ripper and yet he’s mentioned? It’s likelier of course that the ripper was someone like Bury or Kelly but we just don’t know. Too many people in attack or defend mode when it comes to suspects. As if they’re defending their own honour.

All that I know about who was the ripper was John is...it wasn’t me.
                              Gull did not have 3 strokes during the ripper murders, you are factually incorrect ........ Again .

Comment

• Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Hey it’s it’s your time Herlock ,you should manage it better if you feel that way . Another Herlock misconseption, that somehow you actually prove ''My opinions'' wrong, which of coure is untrue. Enough said , Richardson and Jfk can attest to all the above is far from accurate, there your achillies heel in many, many ways . Time to move on .
                                No. If someone claims to have explained or answered something and someone says that they haven’t seen any explanation or answer it’s a matter of basic manners to either repeat the explanation/answer or to provide a link to it rather than expect someone to Wade through random threads to find it. If you have a conversation with someone and they don’t hear your answer properly do you refuse to repeat? The other threads were ruined by yourself and PI. Instead of ignoring you both I foolishly tried to reason with you and became irritated.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X