Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Group - Bottom Group

Time for another round up

What are your top five group (in any order) and bottom five group (in any order?)

I'm not even sure I can answer this myself...

Top five is difficult. Lets have in no particular order Kosminski, George Chapman, Jacob Levy, A.N. Other and just because they can be placed at the scene very shortly after ToD I'll throw Paul & Cross in there, just in case Christer comes back

Bottom five could be dozens but lets have Gull/PAV/Royal Thingy, Van Gogh, Lewis Carroll, Sickert.

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    Time for another round up

What are your top five group (in any order) and bottom five group (in any order?)

I'm not even sure I can answer this myself...

Top five is difficult. Lets have in no particular order Kosminski, George Chapman, Jacob Levy, A.N. Other and just because they can be placed at the scene very shortly after ToD I'll throw Paul & Cross in there, just in case Christer comes back

Bottom five could be dozens but lets have Gull/PAV/Royal Thingy, Van Gogh, Lewis Carroll, Sickert.
    Hi Geddy2112

My top five are:

1. Bury
    2. Kelly
    3. Bellsmith
    4. Unknown
    5. Dont know

As for the bottom five I'm not really sure. There are so many suspects where the chances of them being Jack are virtually zero.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
      My top five are:

1. Bury
      2. Kelly
      3. Bellsmith...
      Hi John, yes spotted you were a Bury fan. To be honest I've not read up much regarding Kelly and Bellsmith so I'll pop them on my list. Any decent threads?

Comment

Hi John, yes spotted you were a Bury fan. To be honest I've not read up much regarding Kelly and Bellsmith so I'll pop them on my list. Any decent threads?
        Hi Geddy2112

There are some good threads on Kelly. There aren't that many on Bellsmith unfortunately. Search for Wentworth Bellsmith though.

Cheers John

Comment

1 Top suspect is unknown, but I believe he lived in Whitechapel and appreciate well-done geoprofiling.

2. Charles Lechmere.

3. Possibly Bury.

4. Loose gang activity.

5. Unknown.

1. Diary.

2. Royals.

3. Lewis Carol.

4. Tumblety.

5. All this other conspiracies.
          O have you seen the devle
          with his mikerscope and scalpul
          a lookin at a Kidney
          With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Top 4 (I can’t stretch to 5)

In no particular order..

An as yet unnamed unknown
            Druitt
            Bury
            Kosminski

Bottom

Any theory involving the Royals or other famous people.
            Any theory involving Freemasonry, anagrams, astrology, black magic, dopplegangers or conspiracies.
            Any theory involving someone who was simply there, alive, and vertical at the time like Mann, Endacott, Hardiman, Lechmere etc.
            Any theory based on fake documents.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Top 5
              1. William Bury
              2. George Chapman
              3. Jacob Levy
              4. David Cohen
              5. George Hutchinson
              Honorable Mention: Charles Le Grand, Joseph Kelly, Aaron Kosminski, Frederick Deeming. And it's very possible that the Ripper is someone we haven't heard of.

I can't really limit myself to five for the weak suspects. Anyone with an alibi - Ostrog, Cream, Prince Albert Victor, and Van Gogh - is as weak as a suspect can be. Famous people - Joseph Merrick, Randolph Churchill, William Gladstone, Lewis Carroll, Artur Conan Doyle, Degas, Sickert - really every famous person named as a suspect is extremely weak in my book, except for Frances Thompson. I don't think Thompson is especially good either, he just isn't as weak as the other famous suspects, which isn't saying much. I also think the likelihood that the Ripper was female or over 60 is close to zero.

Comment

Hi Geddy,

There is a documentary about an investigator that looked into Joseph Kelly. He concluded that Kelly was the Ripper and also committed murders in America, which I doubt (the latter part), but you might find it interesting anyway. It's on Youtube broken into several parts under the name, Jack the Ripper - James Kelly - Documentary.

Comment

Top five?
                  I haven't got a top one, but Bury was a violent, deceitful and ultimately murderous individual who lived locally. Not the ripper in my opinion, but someone who shouldn't be readily dismissed. The actual killer I believe will forever remain unknown and unnamed.

Bottom five, much like Herlock anything that involves conspiracies, cryptic clues and hidden codes because that's what happens in real life isn't it? Criminals leave all the information needed to catch them, but only if you're smart enough to crack the code.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Top 4 (I can’t stretch to 5)
                    Bottom
                    Any theory involving Freemasonry,
                    Any theory involving someone who was simply there, alive, and vertical at the time like Mann, Endacott, Hardiman, Lechmere etc.
                    Oh shame, I love a good Freemason theory, they are a dodgy lot, had lots of power. The word Juwes, the way the bodies were positioned etc. Not convinced yet?

I thought you would have had Lechmere at the top of your 'who done it list' from your posts I've read

Comment

Not meaning to twist the meaning of the thread, but do you think that JtR has already been mentioned in suspects researched? What I mean is, the Yorkshire Ripper was questioned and dismissed at first as an example.

As for my Top 5 I haven't the knowledge to give a valid 5, but I do think Kosminski is up there.
                      "Seek the absence of the normal, and find the presence of the abnormal"

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper4576 View Post
                        Not meaning to twist the meaning of the thread, but do you think that JtR has already been mentioned in suspects researched? What I mean is, the Yorkshire Ripper was questioned and dismissed at first as an example.

As for my Top 5 I haven't the knowledge to give a valid 5, but I do think Kosminski is up there.
                        It isn't outside possibility. The difference is that it is no longer ongoing, we have no access to the physical evidence anymore etc. One of the main reasons killers like Sutcliffe are found is because they mess up or there's a lucky coincidence. This is long gone in terms of the Ripper unless someone can find a smoking gun on any of the suspects, but after 136 years that seems highly improbable. What mostly seems to happen is people taking a suspect and fitting a theory around him, which is even more unhelpful as it can give false positives.
                        O have you seen the devle
                        with his mikerscope and scalpul
                        a lookin at a Kidney
                        With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper4576 View Post

I think it's highly likely Juniper. Sometmes in these cases it's the obvious suspect that the police have questioned but overlooked for some reason. In the case of the Yorkshire Ripper it was Sutcliffe and in the Ripper murders the obvious suspect is Bury who was questioned by the Police but they overlooked him for the Ripper murders despite the fact he killed his wife in a similar fashion to the C5. Its my opinion of course but you should look into William Henry Bury as a suspect.

Cheers John

Comment

I'm can only give a top three.

1) U N Owen
                            2) David Cohen
                            3) George Capel Scudamore Lechmere.

I dropped Hardiman when I found out his possible motive was based on assumptions, not actual medical evidence.

The bottom would be:
                            Any suspect with a clear alibi.
                            Any suspect who was famous in their era.
                            Any suspect with significant physical disability.
                            And suspect whose mental illness made it nigh-impossible for them to function normally.
                            Any theory involving conspiracies, anagrams, cryotograms, or Ley Lines.

Some suspects are disqualified in multiple ways.
                            Last edited by Fiver; 05-18-2024, 10:37 PM.
                            "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post
                              What mostly seems to happen is people taking a suspect and fitting a theory around him, which is even more unhelpful as it can give false positives.
                              That does seem to be the majority of suspectology.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Working...
                              X