Edward Buckley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Buckley

I just watched the new video on Richard Jones' Youtube channel in which a new Ripper suspect is proposed: Edward Buckley. He seems to me to be worthy of further research. He's a pretty good fit for at least some witness descriptions, he was violent, sometimes with a knife, and he lived in the area. Casebook is mentioned in the video; Chris Scott mentioned him in the forum about 20 years ago.

In a refreshing change, the person presenting Buckley as a suspect says that while they think that Buckley is the best suspect, we cannot be certain. They even mention that for one victim we don't know where Buckley was and that new evidence such as incarceration might turn up and exclude Buckley as a suspect. There's much about Buckley to recommend him as a suspect. In addition to similarity to some witness descriptions, he seemed to be able to charm his way into lesser sentences than one would expect from his crimes.

That said, I don't think Buckley was the Ripper. He was horribly violent with a domestic partner and violently resisted arrest, but it doesn't feel like the right kind of violence for the Ripper. Buckley also lived for over 30 years after the last of the C5 was killed and I consider it unlikely the Ripper would have just stopped killing.
    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

I watched this last night, 'first time I'd heard of Buckley.

He mentioned some posts on here from years back (Chris Scott), so I had a look at those also.

I thought Jonathan's case was similar to most of the others, in that there was a lot of 'bad character' and/or criminal activities but nothing that stood out as warranting anything other than more of the same in terms of credentials.

I do like listening to Richard Jones, though, 'comes across as a very reasonable fella in the way he thinks.

Comment

For anyone interested in Edward Buckley, the 80 plus page research article by myself and Jonathan Tye (with significant contributions by Jose Oranto) is downloadable via the following link:

It is not a ripper suspect theory.
        Rather, it explores the life and crimes of a rather sinister individual who roamed the streets of Spitalfields, Mile-End and SGITE before, during and after the Whitechapel Murders, and who- to our minds- deserves further investigating. Again: not as any ripper suspect, but as a person of interest in his own right.​

Thank you in advance,

Jurriaan Maessen

Comment

Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post
          For anyone interested in Edward Buckley, the 80 plus page research article by myself and Jonathan Tye (with significant contributions by Jose Oranto) is downloadable via the following link:

It is not a ripper suspect theory.
          Rather, it explores the life and crimes of a rather sinister individual who roamed the streets of Spitalfields, Mile-End and SGITE before, during and after the Whitechapel Murders, and who- to our minds- deserves further investigating. Again: not as any ripper suspect, but as a person of interest in his own right.​

Thank you in advance,

Jurriaan Maessen

Hi Jurriaan

Your collective ongoing research into this suspect is absolutely exceptional and I completely admire and respect your work.

I have also been researching Edward Buckley for the past few months, and I believe that I have discovered a few additional details that may be of interest to you and Johnathan.

There were a few small details that were mentioned in the video presented by Johnathan, that differ from my own personal findings, and I would like an opportunity to cross-reference some of those details with you.

Edward first came to my attention after one particular newspaper article that drew my attention, and since then I have been looking into his antecedence in order to formulate a picture of his life.

There are some contrasting details between your research and my own, and so I would like to explore why that has occurred.

Regards

RD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Exceptional research and work by all involved with this.

I have also been looking at Edward Buckley over the past few months...

I have uncovered several additional facts that may be of interest.

However, some data I have discovered differs from those outlined in the brilliant video presented by Johnathan Tye.

For example...

I have evidence that Edward did live in Dempsey Street in 1882

I also have evidence his mother died when he was only 10 or 11 years of age.

He also had a sister who died in 1886 at just 25 years old.

There are a few other potentially huge details that could add another layer to Edward being considered a ripper suspect...

But how to proceed?

RD

Comment

Before Edward attacked Frances on the bed, he deliberately turned and locked the bedroom door first.

This is one of many examples that implies he was more calculated than he may first appear.

RD

Comment

Edward lived yards away from the Board School in Dempsey Street.

Dempsey Street ran Parallel with Jubilee Street

Nichols and Stride were both murdered yards away from board schools.

Eddowes was also murdered yards away from a similar Jewish establishment.

RD

Comment

There is one BIG detail that the video missed and which I feel is crucial to all of this.

But out of respect to the outstanding work by Johnathan Tye and Jurriaan, I am somewhat reluctant to say too much at this point, for fear of stepping on other people's toes.

All I can say is that I believe my own findings could add another dimension to this particular suspect.

Can anyone confirm the correct protocol and etiquette of this site?

Between a rock and a hard place.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
                    There is one BIG detail that the video missed and which I feel is crucial to all of this.

But out of respect to the outstanding work by Johnathan Tye and Jurriaan, I am somewhat reluctant to say too much at this point, for fear of stepping on other people's toes.

All I can say is that I believe my own findings could add another dimension to this particular suspect.

RD
                    Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments about our research.

Have you read the JTR Forums article I mentioned a couple of posts previous?

We repeatedly mention we hope anyone and everyone adds to it, even if that means correcting some (or all) of it. Therefore, research-wise, the only protocol is sourcing everything you manage to come up with to a teeth. And please don't fear stepping on other people's toes. We have no vested interest in defending any suspect theory, whether it be Edward Buckley or anybody else, so everything that can be backed up by fact moves our understanding forward.

As the research is ever-evolving and out there for everyone to scrutinize, we do hope you present any additional research on one of the public forums, be it here or on the Edward Buckley research thread on JTR Forums ( https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/pers...esearch-thread ).

As I said, it is quite vital to read the article on JTR Forums, and not go off on a video alone.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Fire away!

Thank you in advance,

Jurriaan

Comment

I enjoyed the video and your research is fascinating.

Will read the link - so asking in advance!

Were the ghastly Buckley family involved in owing/renting out, of the myriad properties in the area? Were they of the 'landlord gangs' - often from the Irish cockneys - who seem a constant but underexplored link in the case?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Its lovely that people have watched the interview and taken an interest in Edward . Re the Dempsey street address in 1882 I am wondering if you are referring to the old bailey trial on the assault by Jon Donavon ? The trouble is he uses Dempsey street ten years apart suggesting rather it is an address of convenience . I had noted the board school connection with addresses but cant see where that would actually lead unless he had a connected role . The Devonshire street attack and that locked door I agree is massively significant its covered in depth in the forums and crime through time article . I am really intrigued by the deaths of his mother when ten or eleven ? and the sister was that elizabeth . ann or Alice ? Re your finds your are certainly not stepping on any toes its all ours to share and grow and would love to hear your input .

regards Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post
                          I enjoyed the video and your research is fascinating.

Will read the link - so asking in advance!

Were the ghastly Buckley family involved in owing/renting out, of the myriad properties in the area? Were they of the 'landlord gangs' - often from the Irish cockneys - who seem a constant but underexplored link in the case?

Thanks,

Paul
                          Hi Paul this does really interest me - anything you can find out would be great to know .

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

RD

Its lovely that people have watched the interview and taken an interest in Edward . Re the Dempsey street address in 1882 I am wondering if you are referring to the old bailey trial on the assault by Jon Donavon ? The trouble is he uses Dempsey street ten years apart suggesting rather it is an address of convenience . I had noted the board school connection with addresses but cant see where that would actually lead unless he had a connected role . The Devonshire street attack and that locked door I agree is massively significant its covered in depth in the forums and crime through time article . I am really intrigued by the deaths of his mother when ten or eleven ? and the sister was that elizabeth . ann or Alice ? Re your finds your are certainly not stepping on any toes its all ours to share and grow and would love to hear your input .

regards Jonathan​

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Tye View Post

regards Jonathan​
                              Thank you kindly for your message.

I was eager to make it clear that everything I comment on comes from a place of admiration and respect for your research, and the last thing I would intend would be to show any disrespect towards someone else's brilliant work and research.

In terms of Edward's sister and mother; it relates to the possibility that you MAY have been incorrect with regard to his antecedents; ergo, some of his earlier life details differ from my own personal research.
                              It is likely the case that you are correct and I myself have made the mistake, and so on that basis, I want to tread very carefully; because your research findings differ from mine.

I am going to look closely again at my own data that I have collated on Buckley over the past few months, and cross-reference it with your own, and then determine where I have gone wrong.

RD

Comment

Working...
                              X