The lighter side of Ripperology and suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lighter side of Ripperology and suspects

I realise this may enrage more serious researchers and appear in bad taste. Apologies if this brings the field into disrepute!

But would anyone else admit to finding abundant dark humour in our interest, especially in some of its leading characters?

I accept it wasn't very amusing being eviscerated on some backstreet.

(Though, to adapt the crucifixion joke in The Life of Brian: 'At least it got you out in the open-air.')

But what are people's most amusing suspects or tit-bits?

In descending order, these are mine:

1. 'Dr' Francis 'unnatural offences' Tumblety - everything about him is comedy-gold, especially his choice of dinner-party exhibits.

2. 'This man became insane owing to many years indulgence in solitary vices.'

One's forced to ask, if they were solitary, how did Macnaghten hear about this grotesque insult to Victorian values? The only conclusion is that a central register was kept of bishop-bangers.

I shudder to think how else Kosminski's hobby became widely known. Maybe it was combined with his unsavoury gutter-picnics?

3. DS William Thick - crazy name, crazy guy!

4. The mugshot of Micheal Ostrog, plus his ridiculous crimes.

5. Montague John Druitt - 'He was sexually insane', is Mcnaghten's thundering assessment.

But as an ex-public school boy, Oxford man and minor public-school teacher, Monty was surely no stranger to 'solitary vices'? Yet, McN leaves this despicable crime unmentioned. Possibly only foreigners indulged in it.

So what else could have caused him to become sexually bonkers?

I suspect he had an unguarded childhood glimpse of some female ankle or piano leg.

Yours,

Dr Grimesby Roylott
    Last edited by Paul Sutton; 10-16-2023, 01:15 PM.

I admit to finding #2 amusing. Partly for the reasons that you gave, but also for the way that combines Victorian prudishness with odd ideas about how people become insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
      I admit to finding #2 amusing. Partly for the reasons that you gave, but also for the way that combines Victorian prudishness with odd ideas about how people become insane.
      I think the very idea of 'sexually insane' is a hoot! One of the joys of Ripperology is the incredible difference in society then. I'm not sneering at them though - in many ways, they're less mad than we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post

I think the very idea of 'sexually insane' is a hoot! One of the joys of Ripperology is the incredible difference in society then. I'm not sneering at them though - in many ways, they're less mad than we are.
        Yes, and it would have been nice if Mac had been more specific, so we could know whether or not this so-called sexual insanity is of any significance.

I've thought of another one that I find amusing: sometimes people say that the murders stopped suddenly. How could a series of murders stop gradually?

Comment

I put this in a similar thread a few years back, but it's still valid. The night Watchman in the Bucks Row case, who when asked if he might not have been paying due attention (asleep) replied that it's a long night for low pay and provide your own fuel for the fire. Working class hero, of sorts.
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Bishop Bangers was a respected medieval theologian who, in his spare time, invented sausages. Strange but true.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Yes, and it would have been nice if Mac had been more specific, so we could know whether or not this so-called sexual insanity is of any significance.

I've thought of another one that I find amusing: sometimes people say that theE murders stopped suddenly. How could a series of murders stop gradually?
              Excellent point!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                I put this in a similar thread a few years back, but it's still valid. The night Watchman in the Bucks Row case, who when asked if he might not have been paying due attention (asleep) replied that it's a long night for low pay and provide your own fuel for the fire. Working class hero, of sorts.
                So true. I'm amazed at how many watchmen they had, in that era - even for places like sewage works.

Comment

Eddowes to Hutt upon being released from the pokey, " Good night, old c0ck." : )

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Bishop Bangers was a respected medieval theologian who, in his spare time, invented sausages. Strange but true.
                    Good one.

For Kosminski, the term needs to be Rabbinical and not Episcopal (being pretentious!).

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Eddowes to Hutt upon being released from the pokey, " Good night, old c0ck." : )
                      I always find Eddowes the most likable and amusing of the five, as shown by this perfect quote.

Comment

"the juwes are the ones that will NOT be blamed for nothing". Or was it
                        "the juwes are NOT the ones that will be blamed for nothing", or was it
                        "the juwes are NOT the ones that will NOT be blames for nothing", or was it
                        "the juwes are the ones that will be blamed for something".

so basically, they wipe away the sentence before they have a chance to take a photograph, and then they can't agree on what what it actually DID say. You couldn't make it up. it sounds more like a Monty Python sketch than a credible police investigation....

Now to part two:

there will probably be a few people on here who are ready to point out to me that this WAS actually settled. But I don't believe that they will agree on which way this has been settled.

which brings me back to the begining of this post

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                          "the juwes are the ones that will NOT be blamed for nothing". Or was it
                          "the juwes are NOT the ones that will be blamed for nothing", or was it
                          "the juwes are NOT the ones that will NOT be blames for nothing", or was it
                          "the juwes are the ones that will be blamed for something".

so basically, they wipe away the sentence before they have a chance to take a photograph, and then they can't agree on what what it actually DID say. You couldn't make it up. it sounds more like a Monty Python sketch than a credible police investigation....

Now to part two:

there will probably be a few people on here who are ready to point out to me that this WAS actually settled. But I don't believe that they will agree on which way this has been settled.

which brings me back to the begining of this post
                          It's at least a relief that my favourite - DS William Thick - wasn't in attendance? Or perhaps he was, in a consultative role?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post

I always find Eddowes the most likable and amusing of the five, as shown by this perfect quote.
                            Yeah, I'm with you on this, Paul!

I too have a soft spot for Kate.

It's something about that chirpy, insousciant "Goodnight, Old C0ck!" along with the (perhaps apocryphal?) fire engine impersonation and her singing to herself in her cell.

I'm sure she was probably a nightmare (as evidenced by her daughter moving away and not giving Kate her address to avoid the scrounging), but I choose to think she was a bit of a hoot!

Comment

For some reason, I always have a wry smile at any mention of Squibby.

Comment

Working...
                              X