Edward Buchan: More Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Buchan: More Info?

Hello, all. I have been reading this site for years. However, this is my first post.

I'm sure this has been kicked around over the years, but I'd like to start a discussion about Edward Buchan. As we know, Buchan committed suicide on the day of Mary Kelly's funeral, his birthday. Also, the Nichols inquest mentions a 'shoemaker's knife' as a possible murder weapon. Buchan was a shoemaker. Add to these the fact that he committed suicide by nearly decapitating himself, and he - at least for me - becomes somewhat interesting as a suspect

I've always found the more obscure suspects intriguing. Chief among them Hyams, Cross, Buchan.

I believe all that is known of Buchan comes from a short, contemporary article describing his suicide/death. Has anyone undertaken any further research into him as a suspect? Any recent revelations?

Thanks.

PDS

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
    Hello, all. I have been reading this site for years. However, this is my first post.

I'm sure this has been kicked around over the years, but I'd like to start a discussion about Edward Buchan. As we know, Buchan committed suicide on the day of Mary Kelly's funeral, his birthday. Also, the Nichols inquest mentions a 'shoemaker's knife' as a possible murder weapon. Buchan was a shoemaker. Add to these the fact that he committed suicide by nearly decapitating himself, and he - at least for me - becomes somewhat interesting as a suspect

I've always found the more obscure suspects intriguing. Chief among them Hyams, Cross, Buchan.

I believe all that is known of Buchan comes from a short, contemporary article describing his suicide/death. Has anyone undertaken any further research into him as a suspect? Any recent revelations?

Thanks.

PDS
    Patrick,

Try...

Besides being referenced in other Ripper material, I don't see much else on him.

Cheers
    DRoy

Comment

Thanks, DRoy. That's about all I've ever seen with respect to Buchan. Clearly a long shot, but aren't they all at this point?

Comment

Thanks, DRoy. That's about all I've ever seen with respect to Buchan. Clearly a long shot, but aren't they all at this point?
        I find this guy interesting and am surprised that no one mentioned the fact that his mother's name was Maria.

Some profilers seem to think Jack killed and took the uteri because he hated his mother.

So many of the victims were named Mary that William Beadle in his Jack the Ripper Unmasked included the names of William Heny Bury's mother, Mary Jane, and sister, Elizabeth, as having influenced his choice of victims.

Why not for Buchan as well? I love the fact that his mother was named Maria, but that might take Stride out of the mix and I just mentally put her in . . . oh well.

I also don't see the two miles as any kind of deterrent in 1888. We're so accustomed to vehicles here in the 21st century that we forget people used to walk. It was just what they did and two miles would have been nothing at that time.

Let's see: he has the timing that seems to make Druitt a suspect, only better in my opinion because it was sooner after MJK was killed and the method. For many of us, the main thing that appears to make Druitt a suspect was the timing of his suicide.

He had the access and ability with knives -- in fact a type specifically mentioned as being a possibility as the murder weapon.

I like this guy and would like to know more about him.

curious
        Last edited by curious; 12-03-2013, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          I find this guy interesting and am surprised that no one mentioned the fact that his mother's name was Maria.

Some profilers seem to think Jack killed and took the uteri because he hated his mother.

So many of the victims were named Mary that William Beadle in his Jack the Ripper Unmasked included the names of William Heny Bury's mother, Mary Jane, and sister, Elizabeth, as having influenced his choice of victims.

Why not for Buchan as well? I love the fact that his mother was named Maria, but that might take Stride out of the mix and I just mentally put her in . . . oh well.

I also don't see the two miles as any kind of deterrent in 1888. We're so accustomed to vehicles here in the 21st century that we forget people used to walk. It was just what they did and two miles would have been nothing at that time.

Let's see: he has the timing that seems to make Druitt a suspect, only better in my opinion because it was sooner after MJK was killed and the method. For many of us, the main thing that appears to make Druitt a suspect was the timing of his suicide.

He had the access and ability with knives -- in fact a type specifically mentioned as being a possibility as the murder weapon.

I like this guy and would like to know more about him.

curious
          I'm with you. I was unaware of his mother's name. It's an interesting premise, albeit one that - to date - I've not put much credence in myself. Personally speaking, I've always viewed the Ripper as an opportunist. Selecting victims based upon their names would indicate some level of observation or "stalking", or at the very least conversation, learning a name, and selecting or passing on victims based upon that name. I'm certainly not saying that it's not plausible, though. That said, I agree that two miles - thrn as now - is simply not that far a distance and should not disqualify a suspect.

I'm not saying Buchan was the Ripper. But he certainly seems to have as much if not more to recommend him as many on some of the more traditional suspect lists. More research would be - at the very least - somewhat interesting. I'll see what I can do. Any other volunteers? Perhaps someone in London?

Comment

I'm with you. I was unaware of his mother's name. It's an interesting premise, albeit one that - to date - I've not put much credence in myself. Personally speaking, I've always viewed the Ripper as an opportunist. Selecting victims based upon their names would indicate some level of observation or "stalking", or at the very least conversation, learning a name, and selecting or passing on victims based upon that name. I'm certainly not saying that it's not plausible, though. That said, I agree that two miles - thrn as now - is simply not that far a distance and should not disqualify a suspect.

I'm not saying Buchan was the Ripper. But he certainly seems to have as much if not more to recommend him as many on some of the more traditional suspect lists. More research would be - at the very least - somewhat interesting. I'll see what I can do. Any other volunteers? Perhaps someone in London?
            I don't think you could consider it "selecting". The way I remember Beadle putting it, hearing the name is what sent him over the edge. So, likely he was engaging the services and getting the woman's name was the trigger. With Bury, his mother was Mary Jane and so Kelly received the worst of it for having exactly the right name of the woman who abandoned him and destroyed his life.

With Buchan, apparently "Mary" would have been close enough to send him over the edge.

curious

Comment

Working...
            X