No announcement yet.

How well did JtR have to speak English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well did JtR have to speak English?

My apologies if there's already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one. My question is, how well did JtR have to be able to speak English to do what he did? If you think he did have to have a certain proficiency in English, then what suspects can be ruled out on that basis, or if not ruled out, considered highly unlikely? Anyone responding is welcome to either address just one of the questions or both of them.

Basically, the Jewish suspects are the ones where I have some doubt about their English speaking ability: George Chapman, Jacob Levy, David Cohen, Aaron Kosminsky, and Hyam Hyams. I can't think of a viable gentile suspect whose knowledge of English might be in doubt.
    Last edited by Lewis C; 05-20-2023, 03:55 PM.

Not well at all. Hold out a wad of cash and point to your Johnson.

c.d.

Comment

Does every punter have to speak the same language as every prostitute? I'd say they don't have to speak the same language at all to do what is required. It would help but it's certainly not a prerequisite.

Comment

Sorry to be so crude in my earlier post but where there is a will there is a way. If one party is willing to provide sex for money and the other party is willing to pay for sex I don't think you need to be a Professor of Linguistics to seal the deal.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
          My apologies if there's already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one. My question is, how well did JtR have to be able to speak English to do what he did? If you think he did have to have a certain proficiency in English, then what suspects can be ruled out on that basis, or if not ruled out, considered highly unlikely? Anyone responding is welcome to either address just one of the questions or both of them.

Basically, the Jewish suspects are the ones where I have some doubt about their English speaking ability: George Chapman, Jacob Levy, David Cohen, Aaron Kosminsky, and Hyam Hyams. I can't think of a viable gentile suspect whose knowledge of English might be in doubt.

Well, if Aaron Kosminski was the murderer and the murderer wrote the graffito, then you would not expect the only spelling mistake in it to be his spelling of the word Jews, especially as he is reported to have said I goes instead of I go.
          Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 05-20-2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Not well at all. Hold out a wad of cash and point to your Johnson.

c.d.
            My thoughts... well, almost exactly, C.D.!
            Last edited by FrankO; 05-20-2023, 05:10 PM.
            "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
            Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Love is a universal language.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                Love is a universal language.
                That made me laugh.

c.d.

Comment

I doubt the Ripper was Jewish. The Jewish suspects are all fairly poor suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                    I doubt the Ripper was Jewish. The Jewish suspects are all fairly poor suspects.
                    There are no good suspects, but David Cohen/Nathan Kaminsky is one of the better suspects.
                    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

There are no good suspects, but David Cohen/Nathan Kaminsky is one of the better suspects.

Are you quite sure there is enough evidence to equate the two?

As for Cohen, his transformation from the man who chatted up Kelly in English and coolly left her mutilated body in her room, without anyone noticing him, to a mumbling, aimless, Yiddish-speaking lunatic in the space of about three weeks hardly qualifies him as a suspect at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

I disagree. In my opinion Bury was probably the Ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

As for Cohen, his transformation from the man who chatted up Kelly in English and coolly left her mutilated body in her room, without anyone noticing him, to a mumbling, aimless, Yiddish-speaking lunatic in the space of about three weeks hardly qualifies him as a suspect at all.
                          Absolutely Private Investigator.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I'm not sure that I understand the first part of the second paragraph. Are you saying that we know that we know that Kelly's murderer was adept at English?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

I disagree. In my opinion Bury was probably the Ripper.
                              If Coles and McKenzie were Ripper victims then Bury is eliminated

Comment

Working...
                              X