our killer been local

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    In Scandinavia, we have this uncanny gift of telling when we donīt recognize people. That way, we are able to report such things. It runs along the lines of:

-Did you see anyone who seemed out of the picture?
    -No, the people I saw were all familiar to me.

alternatively:

-Did you see anyone who seemed out of the picture?
    -Yes, there was this man I had never seen before.

... but thatīs just us Scandinavians, of course.

The best,
    Fisherman
    Fisherman, if that's an attempt at sarcasm then give it up for a bad job, mate, as that's the weakest attempt at humour since Cardinal Wolsey got his dick out at Hampton Court and pretended to be a door.

You're not as clever as you think you are, pal, because in England we're private people who do not interfere with strangers going about their business; except of course lunatics, drunks and out-and-out attention seekers who finger blokes in the pub for being Jack The Ripper, and it's fair to say those types are more of an hinderance than a help.

Comment

On a general level this may be true - but there is always the blood to factor in. If he had bloodied hands/cuffs etc, it would be a lot more perilous to use the main thoroughfares, I think. And if he carried innards on his person, I would not be surprised if he reasoned that the fewer people he met, the better.

In the end, this all is very much a question of personal interpretations, of course!

The best,
      Fisherman
      Of course it boils down to opinions, but some opinions are built upon better foundations than others.

You talk as if he had to negotiate the streets full of teeming policemen stopping and searching from the moment Jack got up and left. He didn't. By the time they were stopping and searching people Jack was long gone. He could have had blood all over his hands and a pocket with a recently acquired head in it and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference because by the time the police were stopping people he was at least a mile away and well away from the clutches of the police.

Comment

On a general level this may be true - but there is always the blood to factor in. If he had bloodied hands/cuffs etc, it would be a lot more perilous to use the main thoroughfares, I think.
        Slip on a pair of gloves to take care of that problem.

And if he carried innards on his person, I would not be surprised if he reasoned that the fewer people he met, the better.
        Given what appears to be daring exploits, doing what he does and where he does it, carrying his victims organs on his person is all part of the personality, the thrill, the challenge.

In the end, this all is very much a question of personal interpretations, of course!
        Which is the prime cause of most disagreements here

How boring would life be if we all agreed - somehow I can't see us ever being bored.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post

Also, I didn't mention police procedure in relation to the timing of Long locating the apron, that was inference to the claim Long acted oddly.

Do read before posting Thomas.

Monty
          Really? Because I was responding to this post from you:

'The coroner thought it odd?

No. The coroner was merely establishing the facts, not passing judgement.

The head juror was questioning Long, this due to the formers ignorance of procedure.

Longs behaviour is neither perplexing nor questionable. He saw a bloodied piece of apron, considered a victim may be in the building and searched for that victim in the accessible areas of the dwellings. This to render First Aid if he could or to send for a medic.

Not finding a victim, but unsure of the building, he called PC Bettles to monitor the dwellings whilst he reported his find at the station, realising the possibility that the victim may still be in the building, but also realising the situation there is not clear. There may be a murder, murderer, siege, what the hell ever else to deal with. So he sought guidance and re-enforcement.

Long had four years service by this time, and had been trained and tested procedure constantly and reading the reports, he made no error in that procedure nor behaved oddly.'

I can't imagine how the word 'procedure' got stuck in my head.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. All Ripperologists are theorists, Monty. All of us. Or else we're not Ripperologists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
            Fisherman, if that's an attempt at sarcasm then give it up for a bad job, mate, as that's the weakest attempt at humour since Cardinal Wolsey got his dick out at Hampton Court and pretended to be a door.

You're not as clever as you think you are, pal, because in England we're private people who do not interfere with strangers going about their business; except of course lunatics, drunks and out-and-out attention seekers who finger blokes in the pub for being Jack The Ripper, and it's fair to say those types are more of an hinderance than a help.
            That does not change that people would have been asked to report if they had seen somebody unknown to them.

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Of course it boils down to opinions, but some opinions are built upon better foundations than others.

You talk as if he had to negotiate the streets full of teeming policemen stopping and searching from the moment Jack got up and left. He didn't. By the time they were stopping and searching people Jack was long gone. He could have had blood all over his hands and a pocket with a recently acquired head in it and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference because by the time the police were stopping people he was at least a mile away and well away from the clutches of the police.
              I would submit that we do not know this. The absence of the apron as Long passed the doorway in Goulston Street seemingly implies that the killer stuck around in the neighbourhood, and we know very little about his psyche, Iīm afraid.

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

• Wickerman:

Slip on a pair of gloves to take care of that problem.

Well, Jon, we canīt tell where blood ended up, can we? He could well be speckled with it in his face, for all we know - the onslaughts were hefty. So much as gloves would help, we canīt tell how omnipotent they were.

Given what appears to be daring exploits, doing what he does and where he does it, carrying his victims organs on his person is all part of the personality, the thrill, the challenge.

Or the I-could-not-care-less-attitude. Or a lack of insight that people disliked what he did. Or madness. Or ...

I am much on your side - I too feel that he may have liked "playing games", outwitting the police ... But alas, I donīt know for certain that this was so.

Which is the prime cause of most disagreements here

How boring would life be if we all agreed - somehow I can't see us ever being bored.

I can Nah, just kiddinī!

The best,
                Fisherman

Comment

That does not change that people would have been asked to report if they had seen somebody unknown to them.

The best,
                  Fisherman
                  And how on earth does this mean that the killer was probably local?!

The police turn up the next day and knock on doors: "did you see a stranger in the vicinity?". It couldn't be more inconsequential to whether or not the man was local or otherwise.

Do you think doors were knocked and the denizens of these homes said: "recall everything, no strangers in sight".?

If anything, your theory is contradicted by the fact that the police turned up the grand sum of nothing when they knocked local doors. Now, I'm of the belief that Jack was not about to come to the door swinging organs round his head , but locals were checked out and nothing doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    P.S. All Ripperologists are theorists, Monty. All of us. Or else we're not Ripperologists.
                    Mind if I yell "Bingo", Tom?

Fisherman

Comment

Mind if I yell "Bingo", Tom?

Fisherman
                      I would think this would be self-evident. What else is the point of accumulating facts and data if we're not up to the challenge of making sense of it all and putting the pieces together? I don't understand why 'theorist' carries with it such a negative connotation. Having said that, i do believe a theory must have a foundation in fact and should only exist in order to make sense of those facts.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I would submit that we do not know this. The absence of the apron as Long passed the doorway in Goulston Street seemingly implies that the killer stuck around in the neighbourhood, and we know very little about his psyche, Iīm afraid.

The best,
                        Fisherman
                        That staple diet of last resorts eh: "we don't know Jack's mindset". Ha'way Fisherman, when the shoe's on the other foot you're happy enough to understand Jack's mindset where Cross/Lechmere is involved.

Except, we're not sure whether or not the apron was there.

Comment

• Hi Fleet. You're right, we're not certain the apron was there. I'm certainly not certain. But we do have a witness who says it wasn't. He was actually paid and trained to know this kind of stuff. There's not a witness or indeed evidence which contradicts him. So it would be entirely disingenuous for any of us to state it's a 50/50 situation as to whether the apron was there early or not. More like 75/25, or even 90/10.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

That staple diet of last resorts eh: "we don't know Jack's mindset". Ha'way Fisherman, when the shoe's on the other foot you're happy enough to understand Jack's mindset where Cross/Lechmere is involved.

Except, we're not sure whether or not the apron was there.
                            Donīt be foolish, Fleetwood. I entertain the idea that Lechmere was the killer, and I look at how things would have gone down if he was.

Thatīs not the same as me claiming to know Jackīs mindset, Iīm afraid.

But you are correct that we donīt know if the apron was there or not. Actually, we donīt "know" much at all. So we make do with what the evidence suggests - and the evidence clearly suggests that the apron was not there at the time.

These things should be obvious, and not a cause to infect a discussion.

All the best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

• Fleets,

Everything we've learned about serial killers to date should inform us that the killer was probably local. There is not a single expert in criminology who doubts this probability. To those who have examined other cases in close detail, along with the associated statistics, this would not be a vexed question. It would be an absolute no-brainer. If people want to argue instead for a non-local commuter, they can take some solace that the thought police don't really exist, because it really does militate against all understanding of how serial killers operate within small concentrated localities.

We can permanently dispense with the idea that an unsuccessful house-to-house inquiry in the immediate vicinity means the killer didn't live there. Unless the killer was particularly foolish and clumsy, he was unlikely to leave incriminating items lying around during the day. "Hiding in plain sight" is an axiom that holds true time and again for serial killers.

Bear in mind that "local" in this context means local to the area at the time, as opposed to being necessarily born and bred.

Regards,
                              Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
                                Fleets,

Everything we've learned about serial killers to date should inform us that the killer was probably local. There is not a single expert in criminology who doubts this probability. To those who have examined other cases in close detail, along with the associated statistics, this would not be a vexed question. It would be an absolute no-brainer. If people want to argue instead for a non-local commuter, they can take some solace that the thought police don't really exist, because it really does militate against all understanding of how serial killers operate within small concentrated localities.

We can permanently dispense with the idea that an unsuccessful house-to-house inquiry in the immediate vicinity means the killer didn't live there. Unless the killer was particularly foolish and clumsy, he was unlikely to leave incriminating items lying around during the day. "Hiding in plain sight" is an axiom that holds true time and again for serial killers.

Bear in mind that "local" in this context means local to the area at the time, as opposed to being necessarily born and bred.

Regards,
                                Ben
                                Maybe so, Ben, which is an altogether different argument for the killer being local than the one Fisherman peddled.

I scoffed at the idea that the killer must have been local because to have not been caught he must have utilised the 'labyrinth', rather than the idea that the killer was local.

Comment

Working...
                                X