X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Capel Scudamore Lechmere

From the records of the Old Bailey.

GEORGE LECHMERE. Breaking Peace: wounding. 28th July 1890

616. GEORGE LECHMERE (39) , Wounding Emma Lechmere, with intent to murder her. Second Count, with intent to do her grievous bodily harm.

MR. HUTTON Prosecuted.

EMMA LECHMERE . I am the prisoner's wife—from October last I have been living apart from him, at 6, Croydon Street, Marylebone—on 25th June, at a quarter to five, he called—my son was present at our conversation, and I had my infant on my lap—I was having a few words with my husband about his not getting work and supporting the children—he said nothing to me—we have had eight children, four are living—the prisoner is a hair-dresser, but he does not do much; usually one and a half days a week; Saturday and Sunday—it does not keep us all—I do needlework—after, the few words we had he put on his hat and coat and came across to me, and held my chin, and began cutting at my throat with a table knife—I could not say whether it had been on the table—my baby was in my arms—the prisoner cut my throat several times; he said, "You started this, and I will finish it"—my baby dropped, my husband left off, and I rushed out of the room to. the front door, and then I thought of my baby, and went back and picked it up, and made my escape from the front door—the prisoner said nothing when I went back—I told a constable—the prisoner had before said he would settle me—I have gone in fear of my life for a very long time—since October he has been to see me about once in six weeks, and then he has been very disagreeable and quarrelsome; he did not use threats then; he did so when we were living together—I don't know how he gains a living now.

FRANCIS CHARLES MATHEW . I am house surgeon at St. Mary's Hospital—on 25th June the prosecutrix was brought to me; she had a cuff across the throat some three inches long, just nicking the cartilage of the air passage; it was not very deep—I don't think it was a dangerous wound—it could have been caused by this table-knife, on which there are marks that might be blood—there was a slight cut on her left cheek—she is entirely out of danger now.

JAMES ELLIS (Policeman D 211). At a quarter to five p.m. on 25th June I saw the prosecutrix in the passage of her house, leading to the front kitchen downstairs; she was bleeding from a wound in her throat—from what she told me I went into the house and saw the prisoner in the front kitchen—I asked the prosecutrix, "Who did that?"—the prisoner could hear it—she pointed to him and said, "He did"—he made no reply—I took him to the station; he was charged with attempted murder; he made no reply—I found this knife among the ashes below the grate; it is in the same condition now as it was then.

The Prisoner, in his defence, said that he had suffered from sunstroke in India, and that sometimes he was not responsible for his actions; that on this day he had been drinking, and he had no recollection of anything that occurred; and that he did not mean to do her any injury; he was too fond of her.

GUILTY on the second countEighteen Months' Hard Labour.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Weekly Dispatch - July 13, 1890

Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Weekly_Dispatch__London__London__England___Sunday__July_13__1890.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	799289
    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Weekly Dispatch - June 29, 1890.

Name:	The_Weekly_Dispatch__London__London__England___Sunday__June_29__1890.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	799291

Comment

The People - June 29, 1890.

Click image for larger version  Name:	The_People__London__London__England___Sunday__June_29__1890.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	799293

Comment

Reynold's Newspaper - July 13, 1890.

Name:	Reynolds_s_Newspaper__London__Greater_London__England___Sunday__July_13__1890.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	799295

Comment

Lloyds Weekly Newspaper - July 13, 1890.

Name:	Lloyd_s_Weekly_Newspaper__London__Greater_London__England___Sunday__July_13__1890.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	799297

Comment

any relation to our lechmere?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Yes he was.

His father and CAL’s father we’re cousins. I’ve just been posting about his father over on JTRForums.

Comment

The wife cutters dad was a PC in Hereford while Maria was living there. Shortly before she and Thomas married in London.

Comment

In 1851, Maria was living next door to (possibly in the same house as) a Hereford policeman who had been turned down for a promotion by the man who was the executor of her father’s will. Her husband had been implicated in the death of a local PC shortly before his business failed; it seems her husband’s cousin joined the Hereford police shortly before she moved away; and in London she married a young Herefordshire man who had just joined the Met Police.

There’s an intriguing press report from 1856 that mentions a PC Cross being in conversation with a Mr Lechmere in Hereford, but it’s not clear which PC Cross or which Mr Lechmere it refers to.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Fairly distant - third cousins.

John Scudamore Lechmere > Charles Fox Lechmere > John Allen Lechmere > Charles Allen Lechmere

John Scudamore Lechmere >Capel Lechmere >George Scudamore Lechmere > George Capel Scudamore Lechmere

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        There’s an intriguing press report from 1856 that mentions a PC Cross being in conversation with a Mr Lechmere in Hereford, but it’s not clear which PC Cross or which Mr Lechmere it refers to.

The Lechmere talking to a PC Cross in 1856 might be George Scudamore Lechmere. His daughter Gertrude was born in London in 1854, while his son Ambrose was born in 1858 in Herefordshire.

Of course there were plenty more Mr Lechmeres in Herefordshire in 1856, including two of George Scudamore Lechmere's brothers

Comment

Working...
                        X