Alfred Charles Coates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Charles Coates

In 1888, Alfred Charles Coates, born September 1st 1847, owned a chandlers shop at 36 Dorset Street. This was directly next to the lodging house Mary Ann Nichols was staying at and also close to MJK's residence. Additionally to his chandler's shop, he also owned a lodging house in Flower and Dean street which could've been the one Elizabeth Stride or Catherine Eddowes were staying at.

Following the murder of the Stride, a blunted slicing knife from a chandlers shop, covered in human blood and with a handkerchief wrapped around the handle was found outside 233 Whitechapel Road. This could've been the weapon used to kill Stride and was found only a few minutes walk from Alfred Coates' chandlers shop. The two other chandler's shops in the area belonged to John McCarthy, MJK's landlord and Barnett Price who was too old, being aged 67 years.

Before opening his chandlers shop and lodging house in Whitechapel, during 1871 Alfred Coates lived at 26 Creek Street, Battersea with his former wife. His occupation, a lighterman. This places him directly in the vicinity of the two Battersea Torso cases of 1873 and 74. His occupation as a lighterman also matches what the Torso Murderer is thought to have been, due to them having to have knowledge of the Thames and the placement of the torso's. Additionally, being a lighterman proves Alfred Coates possesed a great deal of physical strength. Additional connections to the Torso murders include Alfred Coates mother, Jane, who likely lived at 87 Ingrave Street in 1889, a few minutes walk from where the body parts of Elizabeth Jackson were found in Battersea Park.

The census records also shine light on the complicated relationship he had with his only wife. In 1868, Alfred Coates married Ann Alice Martin. However whilst living together in 1871 by 1881 they had separated. Alfred was now living by himself as a lodger in Lambeth, still a lighterman. Meanwhile, Ann had returned to live with her parents at there home in Deptford. Interestingly, while Alfred still listed himself as married, Ann had reverted to her maiden name and listed herself as never being married. The reason for their separation and Ann erasing their marriage remains a mystery, however it could infer what sort of character Alfred Coates might be.

In the 1890s, the records for Alfred Coates go cold until his death on 4th June 1898, when he died in London Hospital aged 52. How long he was hospitalised for and what he died of isn't specified.

On 3rd of March 1891, a story appeared in the news that the police knew who Jack the Ripper was and that he wasn't a seaman, butcher or cattle driver, but engaged in a small way of business in the Whitechapel district. The man couldn't be arrested due to lack of evidence but he had been under constant surveillance since the last murder. I wonder if the police may have suspected Alfred Coates, documented in files now lost alongside many others.

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
    In the 1890s, the records for Alfred Coates go cold until his death on 4th June 1898, when he died in London Hospital aged 52. How long he was hospitalised for and what he died of isn't specified.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do see an issue, however.

I just took a quick look at the 1891 Census, and Coates is living with his wife & son at No.23 Princes Street, Waterloo Road, Lambeth, and is still listed as a lighterman (barge). The transcription comes up "Conte" but is clearly Alfred C. Coates.

Are you sure this is the chandler's shop owner? He is listed as a lighterman in 1871, 1881, and 1891--and is always living south of the river, which raises considerable doubts.

Not to throw cold water on it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coates 1891.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	766806

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I do see an issue, however.

I just took a quick look at the 1891 Census, and Coates is living with his wife & son at No.23 Princes Street, Waterloo Road, Lambeth, and is still listed as a lighterman (barge). The transcription comes up "Conte" but is clearly Alfred C. Coates.

Are you sure this is the chandler's shop owner? He is listed as a lighterman in 1871, 1881, and 1891--and is always living south of the river, which raises considerable doubts.

Not to throw cold water on it...

Click image for larger version Name:	Coates 1891.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	766806
      Thank you RJ. None of the records included that entry and since there wasn't another Alfred Coates whose age was suitable and the location of death was in Whitechapel I assumed they were the same man. I read that the shop and lodging house owner didn't live in Whitechapel but supposedly Whitecross Street.

Comment

Working...
      X