where do you stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phil H View Post
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more when I see this arse backwards reasoning.

And I will be the one accused of writing 'rot' for pointing out the bleedin' obvious: the killing did continue after Polly and Annie, which is perfectly in line with their killer being someone who was still at large to kill more.

Well, I won't say you're talking rot, just reciting the old conventional wisdom, as is your wont.
    How very condescending of you Phil! I am not 'reciting' anything. My view of these murders may be similar to the conventional wisdom, in as much as I do see one man responsible for more than just two of the Whitechapel murders, but as I think you know very well, I don't go along with any conventional wisdom that has C5 and only C5, or any other specific victim numbers or names.

I will not rule out the killer of C1 and C2 from attacking any of the other victims, because there is no good evidence to do so. I have yet to see any good reason to clear this man of suspicion and put x number of complete unknowns in his place. Surely that makes me a lot less closed minded than those who argue - from sheer gut instinct and personal distaste for 'conventional wisdom' - that this man didn't, or couldn't have killed this or that victim. They toss out the conventional wisdom because it has failed to hand us a solution - as if that would be remotely odd in the circumstances - and they suppose that their new wisdom must serve us better.

My mind is open to all potentialities and possibilities.
    Fine, then you don't come into the category of modern theorists whose minds are now permanently closed to anything and everything that even smacks of 'the old conventional wisdom'.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I am sorry Caz, I meant to be wry rather than condescending.

Phil

Comment

• All message boards need [sarcasm], [hyperbole], and a few other tags along those lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex View Post
          Interestingly, in terms of Jon’s point, for the early performances of Jekyll and Hyde at the Lyceum, Mansfield wore the same low-crown, wide-brimmed hat as both Jekyll and Hyde. By the 18th August, however, he had taken to wearing a silk chapeau as Jekyll; thus appropriately clothing his doctor in what would come to be seen as classic Ripper garb.
          What a nice surprise, thankyou for clarifying the issue Alex.
          Hope you are well...

Regards, Jon S.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            I refer to Mrs. Long's purported sighting of Annie and the "foreign looking man."
            Hi Lynn

Sorry, I'm still a little confused - has Mrs. Long mentioned a window?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• A bit of fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac and isen reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	664825

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Observer--That was superb......

Comment

• Thanks Robert. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say!

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                    ... English with a Swiss accent.
                    RE: the Jekyll & Hyde movies with obvious Ripper influence. While Miriam Hopkins, in the 1931 movie, did a good "Mockney" accent, as there really wasn't much way to put a woman with a US Southern accent (I think I said "Kentucky" earlier, for which I apologize-- I've been watching a lot of Irene Dunne movies in the past couple of days-- Miriam Hopkins is from the Deep South: Savannah) in the lowest places of the East End as a "fallen" woman, Ingrid Bergman plays the same role in the 1941 remake, and inexplicably attempts the same accent; it's awkward and awful, but what makes it worse is that there's no reason for a woman with a Swedish accent not to be living in the East End and working as a "bar maid."

The character is a prostitute in the 1931 version: the word isn't used, but it's quite obvious. In the 1941 version, the character is expressly a bar maid, because it was post-Hays' code.

It just occurred to me today that someone who had done a little research may have wanted to de-emphasize Bergman's Swedish origin, so as not to have anyone try to identify her with any specific [alleged] Ripper victim. The accent is so awful, though, that it doesn't work, and Bergman's English was so good, that in most of her films, her faint accent went unnoticed. Anyway, it wasn't as though Spencer Tracy or Lana Turner was attempting any sort of British accent.

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                      All message boards need [sarcasm], [hyperbole], and a few other tags along those lines.
                      I've figured out your anti-anagram.

It's Vicky Haraha.

Right?

Comment

• shutters

Hello Lucky. Thanks.

"has Mrs. Long mentioned a window?"

Shutters. And they frequently occur where windows do.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                          The play opened in Boston in 1887, so there have to be some old scripts floating around.
                          Hi Rivkah,

Indeed, the promptbook from the Boston production survives. If you're not already aware of it, I highly recommend the book that Alex edited with Professor Martin Danahay, Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized. They provide a collated script comprised of the Boston, Lyceum, and American Play Company versions. Annotated with dialogue changes, stage directions--you even get the lighting directions from the Boston promptbook. "Green calcium on in fire place"!

Looks like hardcopies go for a pretty penny (I'm fortunate to have one), but a Kindle version came out not too long ago. I have that too, and think the formatting does the hardcopy justice. http://www.amazon.com/Jekyll-and-Hyd...yde+dramatized

Best,
                          Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            "has Mrs. Long mentioned a window?"

Shutters. And they frequently occur where windows do.
                            Hi Lynn

Windows/shutters ?

I see you have made everything transparently clear ! Thanks for your help

Best wishes

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Lucky View Post
                              Hi Lynn

Windows/shutters ?

I see you have made everything transparently clear ! Thanks for your help

Best wishes
                              Absolutely, Mr Lucky; it was an argument that made ME shutter!

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                                Hi Rivkah,

Indeed, the promptbook from the Boston production survives. If you're not already aware of it, I highly recommend the book that Alex edited with Professor Martin Danahay, Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized. They provide a collated script comprised of the Boston, Lyceum, and American Play Company versions. Annotated with dialogue changes, stage directions--you even get the lighting directions from the Boston promptbook. "Green calcium on in fire place"!

Looks like hardcopies go for a pretty penny (I'm fortunate to have one), but a Kindle version came out not too long ago. I have that too, and think the formatting does the hardcopy justice. http://www.amazon.com/Jekyll-and-Hyd...yde+dramatized

Best,
                                Dave
                                I don't have a Kindle, but you are not the first person who has directed me toward a Kindle version of something, and I sense we have reached some moment of tipped equilibrium where people now assume that everyone has, or has access to a means of reading text on some kind of device.

Comment

Working...
                                X