J. Stanley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J. Stanley?

A curious article from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Monday 09 September 1889.

It's not clear what exactly this is meant to convey, but is it a J. Stanley as a named suspect?

Need more context. Are you able to post a screenshot of the article?

Was this date not around the time of the Pinchin Street torso?
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

That's weird... I thought I had posted a screenshot of the article. I'll try again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen11.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	760369

Comment

It looks like an answer to a Mr J Stanley who asked "who were the victims of Jack the Ripper".
        Mr H Bibby asked "what should be the ground colour of a Royal Navy Ensign and what is the rank order of an Admiral".
        HTH
        Dupin

Comment

Yeah, it around the time of the Pinchin Street torso and the wording in list of victims resembles the list used in the reports of that case, as though copied from there.

I'm wondering if 'Stanley' is a corruption of 'Cleary' and it perhaps relates to the John Cleary person of interest. The short article addressed 'To correspondents' seems strange though. I feel like I don't quite understand what it is. Is it about J.Stanley or a letter addressed to J.Stanley?

Comment

Originally posted by Dupin View Post
            It looks like an answer to a Mr J Stanley who asked "who were the victims of Jack the Ripper".
            Mr H Bibby asked "what should be the ground colour of a Royal Navy Ensign and what is the rank order of an Admiral".
            HTH
            Dupin
            Ahh, this makes sense. So, there was probably a previous query from J.Stanley.

Comment

I wonder if there’s any connection to the Pensioner?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post

Ahh, this makes sense. So, there was probably a previous query from J.Stanley.
                The 'Correspondents' is confusing I can see. It is obviously another word for journalists, but in this context, it is simply answering letters that were sent to the newspaper. Seems this paper had an 'Ask Jeeves' type feature. Send in your questions about anything and we will answer them.
                Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
                X