X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Remember this discovery by Paul Begg:

From Rear Admiral HL Fleet:

“When we lived there formerly it was considered dangerous, for the terrible series of crimes committed by Jack The Ripper were then being perpetrated, and many people believed that he lived in Blackheath.”
    I wonder if any local library in Blackheath will carry archived copies of local newspapers from 1888 mentioning these rumors of Jack the Ripper?
    That's how I tracked down Joseph Isaacs, through local rags, they carry stories the national press have no room for.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Remember this discovery by Paul Begg:

From Rear Admiral HL Fleet:

“When we lived there formerly it was considered dangerous, for the terrible series of crimes committed by Jack The Ripper were then being perpetrated, and many people believed that he lived in Blackheath.”
      Druitt lived in Blackheath.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
        Nice detective work.

It would appear whoever wrote the letter may have had this Augustus Riffel in mind. It could as easily be a set up as much as it is a confession. Or simply the ramblings of a mad man.

He realised after he wrote the letter that Charles Warren was in the police and not the Home Office. Something prompted him to correct it. My guess is reading a newspaper article or some kind of interview with Warren. His mind was focused on Warren specifically.
        Also as a point of note, Warren had long resigned by the time this letter was sent. Either the writer was unaware of this fact but still sent it for his attention anyway.
        JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Thanks Joshua. I think I've understood you, and have marked it with the red X. Just thought it would be interesting to see where the letter was referring to.
          Yes, that's the one I was referring to, although I see Jon Wick has found a couple more!

Comment

Druitt lived in Blackheath.
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I wonder if any local library in Blackheath will carry archived copies of local newspapers from 1888 mentioning these rumors of Jack the Ripper?
              That's how I tracked down Joseph Isaacs, through local rags, they carry stories the national press have no room for.
              It would certainly be interesting to hear of any other mention of these rumours Wick.

Comment

Hi Astatine

The watchmaker, John Philip Kraft, that Riffel/Raffel is living with in 1891, is also from Mainz, Germany, so there could be a relationship of some sort; Kraft lived in the East End since at least 1881, and lived in Bow/West Ham the remainder of his life. His wife was British (Yarmouth), so he's not likely to have been a brother-in-law.

The fact that Riffel is listed as a 'visitor' rather than a lodger is suggestive. Where's Julia?

Comment

There's an Augustus Rieffel, born Germany, the king of sausage skins, living in Alverstoke, Gosport, in 1901. The age is a wee bit off, but he could have fudged the date for his young wife. He died in the 1940s, when his name is listed as August Lenard Rieffel, so that could be a problem. May or may not be the same bloke, but perhaps the butcher retired to the coast.

That's all I have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1901.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	755736

Comment

He declares himself (or someone is) as Raffel spelling yet no record has matched that spelling. I know census takers make mistakes but there would be at least one record that matched his own spelling surely?

It sounds to be as if it is being spelt phonetically in the original letter as that is how the writer hears it. The more likely spelling surely would be closer to the census entries?
                    JayHartley.com

Comment

He declares himself (or someone is) as Raffel spelling yet no record has matched that spelling. I know census takers make mistakes but there would be at least one record that matched his own spelling surely?

It sounds to be as if it is being spelt phonetically in the original letter as that is how the writer hears it. The more likely spelling surely would be closer to the census entries?
                      I thought the OP had the 1881 census as Raffel?

In addition, there's no doubt, I think, that he was called Raffel and not Riffel, since the name is meant to rhyme with chapel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

I thought the OP had the 1881 census as Raffel?

In addition, there's no doubt, I think, that he was called Raffel and not Riffel, since the name is meant to rhyme with chapel.
                        I stand corrected, like the man in orthopaedic shoes.

it still smacks to me of someone trying to accuse someone else.
                        JayHartley.com

Comment

Agree completely, it looks like someone had a beef with old Augustus and wanted to bring some trouble to his door. A scorned Julia, perhaps....

Comment

I stand corrected, like the man in orthopaedic shoes.

Yes, that would be the most likely situation by far. It's too rare a name to be a coincidence in my opinion. I highly doubt he had any connection to #24, or Goulston Street, but if he did that wouldn't change that possibility. It would, however, suggest the letter writer knew him well and had it out for him. Kattrup's idea of a scorned Julia would be the first in line to check out (perhaps comparison of handwriting to a marriage certificate or something could be one way to try?)

Regardless, though, I think this is a nice piece of sleuthing and has a high probability of identifying the person named in the letter, if not necessarily the letter writer themselves. The letter writer, though, is no doubt in his circle of acquaintances, and if not Julia, then probably someone from where he worked at the time would be the next likely connection. Great stuff.

- Jeff

Comment

FYI, David Barrat has posted some further info on this guy: https://www.orsam.co.uk/butcherofwhitechapel.htm

Comment

Living alone at 100, Priory Road, Gosport in 1939?

Augustus L. Reiffell, a retired butcher, DOB 7th Feb., 1856.

Comment

Working...
                                X